Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#132738 - 05/13/08 01:40 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: corpsman]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: corpsman
As a Corpsman in the Navy, I found that "Ace" wraps or elastic bandages were a GREAT "one size fits all."

I buy them in various sizes at the dollar store... WAY cheaper than kerlex or cling.

Of all the things available at a typical dollar store, FAK items would be one of the very last things I would ever consider.

If you read the packaging, dollar store 3" elastic bandages are typically 5.4 yards long (stretched) whereas brand name (Ace) 3" elastic bandages are only 5.3 feet long (unstretched) -- yet the Ace brand is still considerably larger in diameter when rolled up. That fact alone should raise a red flag as to the quality of the crap generally found in dollar stores.

While your local drug store may charge you $4.00 or more, large rolls (4.5" x 4.1 yds) of Kerlix can be purchased in sealed sterile packaging any day of the week on ebay for less than a buck a roll (shipped). I bought a dozen rolls last month for a GSW/trauma kit for $5.00 (plus another $5.20 for shipping).

Larger quantities are even cheaper, however, you do need to spell it correctly to get any search results on ebay.

Jim

#132779 - 05/13/08 07:29 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Paragon]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i have used an Ace bandage ever since i saw a ER Dr use one
with sponges to close a guys leg wound up--i was the ER clerk
back then--

#132780 - 05/13/08 07:39 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: MartinFocazio]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just carry a clean tee-shirt, many uses including as gauze. Granted, not sterile.

TRO

#132809 - 05/13/08 11:35 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: TeacherRO]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...not sterile..."

Sterile doesn't always mean that much in emergency care, large wounds are going to be cleaned at the hospital anyway. The boonies, or anyplace outside of an ER, is not a sterile place...

#132821 - 05/14/08 01:52 AM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

yeah! But I don't think the patient (if conscious) would be to happy if someone started wrapping them up in dirty gauze!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#132834 - 05/14/08 04:36 AM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: climberslacker]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The usual disclaimer first; I'm not affiliated with the ACE, Johnson & Johnson, or NEXCARE corps in any way shape or form.

My DW just had 2 surgeries, 1 on the knee & 1 on the elbow. Both surgeries went well and she is bouncing back quickly.

The problem that we have concerns her being allergic to Latex. She told her Dr of this when surgury was advised. She was questioned at length 3 differet times by 3 different nurses and anesthesiologists who all agree that "she had a real Latex allergy". Apparently the info was ignored by everyone from the latex tube inserted in her throat by the anesthesiologists to the Dr and PA who used Latex ACE bandages to wrap up her knee and elbow (& don't forget bout that wonderful Catheter). We've had 1 trip, via ambulance, to the Emergency Room for possible Respiratory Distress and/or blood clots - possible mini stroke.

I initially was able to find cotton bandage wrap by Johnson & Johnson which helped her immensely but this didn't provide the required support for the knee and elbow. She went onto the internet and found that Nexcare has an elastic wrap bandage, which she ordered. The Nexcare bandages are working great both IRT the Latex Allergy and for the joint support that she also requires at this time.

A question for the medical types here: what did the nurses actually say to each other, when they told each other, "She actually has a real Latex Allergy". We heard this passed on verbatim from one to another after the previous one had left and it came off sounding like some kind of "code phrase" for: "here's another hypochondriac".

#132848 - 05/14/08 11:34 AM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: wildman800]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
My wife also has a latex allergy. 10 weeks ago, she gave birth to our first son. Mind you, her allergy to it is a bit more mild. She would tend to get itchy / red from contact with latex.

I old the attending OB/GYN, whom she has been seeing, and he said, "When did this suddenly develope?" I mean, we've told him before during our many visits.

Luckily, they took her seriously and they brought in a medical box of non-latex products, esp. a catheter. Otherwise, things would have wound up being, shall we say, very uncomfortable.

Still, it was almost like they doubted our word the first time we said it!

#132858 - 05/14/08 01:46 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Mike_H]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Having being treated by and working around physicians all my life, I can assure you that most do not pay attention to half of what you say. I don't know why, but I know that it is very common. Maybe one of our Dr. members can comment...

#132865 - 05/14/08 02:42 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Paragon]
corpsman Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Paragon
Originally Posted By: corpsman
As a Corpsman in the Navy, I found that "Ace" wraps or elastic bandages were a GREAT "one size fits all."

I buy them in various sizes at the dollar store... WAY cheaper than kerlex or cling.

Of all the things available at a typical dollar store, FAK items would be one of the very last things I would ever consider.

If you read the packaging, dollar store 3" elastic bandages are typically 5.4 yards long (stretched) whereas brand name (Ace) 3" elastic bandages are only 5.3 feet long (unstretched) -- yet the Ace brand is still considerably larger in diameter when rolled up. That fact alone should raise a red flag as to the quality of the crap generally found in dollar stores.

While your local drug store may charge you $4.00 or more, large rolls (4.5" x 4.1 yds) of Kerlix can be purchased in sealed sterile packaging any day of the week on ebay for less than a buck a roll (shipped). I bought a dozen rolls last month for a GSW/trauma kit for $5.00 (plus another $5.20 for shipping).

Larger quantities are even cheaper, however, you do need to spell it correctly to get any search results on ebay.

Jim

I like the extra "stretch" of the fake ace wraps over "roller gauze" or the "kerlex" type products.

IF (Notice that's a big if ;)) I was using these as an Ace wrap your comments would be valid. I'm using them as a one time, single use replacement for the "roller gauze" or the "kerlex" type products.

I've repeatedly used these in actual field situations and have not only had no problems, but have seen the benefit of the additional "compression" or pressure they provide. I'm NOT talking tourniquet here.

#132873 - 05/14/08 03:28 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: wildman800]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: wildman800
...A question for the medical types here: what did the nurses actually say to each other, when they told each other, "She actually has a real Latex Allergy". We heard this passed on verbatim from one to another after the previous one had left and it came off sounding like some kind of "code phrase" for: "here's another hypochondriac".

IMO it means that they really do believe she's truly allergic to the latex and they are taking it seriously. Lots of people are asked by med personnel "are you allergic to latex?" and the answer is "oh yes, for sure". Turns out they had a rash once in 1975 and they figure that's the deal. A true latex allergy can kill you.

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.