Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#132620 - 05/12/08 05:31 AM My Do It All knife sheath
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've gone on record in the past as disapproving of knife sheaths (usually custom Kydex ones) which incorporate extra bits like fire steels, sharpeners, photon lights, other small knives, but I take it all back as today I put together a package which I really like and worked perfectly.

Yesterday I received a set of chaps I had made for search and rescue work...like gaiters on steroids. Unfortunately because they have their own belt, it prevents anything from being worn on the belt on my pants. Since the belt was made from webbing, I had an idea. I ran a strap of Lite-on cargo webbing I had through my Gerber LMF II sheath and then through the chaps. I had a perfect cross draw blade across my back which doesn't interfere with my vest...but since I was going out on a training exercise today I wanted to see if a bit of overkill would work...better to try these things during practice than to flounder with them during the real thing.

Since the sheath has a pull through carbide sharpener, I decided to compliment that. I zip tied a Smith's diamond sharpener (without the holder) to one side and the ceramic rod from a Smith's 3 in 1 kit to the other. Not ending there I used some bulk velcro cable wrap and attached the belt pocket for my Gerber Diesel multipliers in between the sharpening rods. Here's what I ended up with (some of the picture are on the dark side...sorry):

I was expecting it to be uncomfortable, awkward, and too heavy. I was pleasantly surprised. The only issue I had was the handle occasionally snagging on my shirt...minor issue and in reality a non issue if I tuck my shirt in next time. I don't think it could have been a tougher test as I spent most of the day on my hands and knees following tracks through thick willows (also a good test for the chaps). It wasn't too heavy at all and everything was ultra secure.

Since I moved my Freeman Hunter to a lanyard around my neck (under my vest), it was the only thing on the belt which left nothing on the sides to snag on anything. Yes I know that's a lot of blades and yes I'm alright with that. smile I was actually surprised at how many volunteers had either nothing or a key chain Swiss Army Knife...at least a lot of them had a Leatherman. Sure we were a stones throw from civilization but I grew up in those woods and even then I didn't wander without at least a good SAK.

So getting back on topic I take back anything bad I may have said previously about all in everything sheaths...it can be done and now I see the benefits. It's nice to have something like this handy that I could literally wrap around my waist in seconds while running out the door. If I can keep the weight down to a point where it's not encumbering, I might add a few more things to it.

#132623 - 05/12/08 07:21 AM Re: My Do It All knife sheath [Re: ]
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA
Hmmm...
This has got me thinking.
I have been trying to figure out how to attach a small pouch to my LMF II sheath for the last week or so.
I don't have a need to attach further sharpening tools, but am interested in a pouch for a firesteel, and mabye a small compass.

Thanks hacksaw. You've got me thinking again.
When i decide on something, I'll post with pics!

thanks again.
peace

al

#132627 - 05/12/08 10:55 AM Re: My Do It All knife sheath [Re: TrailDemon]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Slick.

#132631 - 05/12/08 11:29 AM Re: My Do It All knife sheath [Re: ]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Cool custom job mate. I love creating my own solutions for carry. How you like that Gerber LMF?

#132634 - 05/12/08 12:14 PM Re: My Do It All knife sheath [Re: Polak187]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I love the LMF though it's not replaced a small sharp knife like my Freeman Hunter for bushcrafty stuff. I mostly use it for rough work like chopping (the heavy pommel lets you grip the handle low with just a couple of fingers giving you way more speed at the tip), batoning, hammering (the pommel can be used as a hamme), or anything I would not normally use a knife for (like digging cat holes) because I know it's tough enough to endure more than I'm willing to subject a knife to. It's my lightweight alternative to carrying a shovel, axe, hatchet, and a backup knife. It's also quick to draw...something that is never a bad thing in cougar country. That same webbing belt also holds a can of bear spray.

I don't really consider the Diesel to be much of a backup blade as I'm not partial to the knife in it...but it is sharp and it is there so I guess that's my tertiary backup knife. The Diesel also has a saw which covers pretty much any wood working need I might have.

I think if I can add a firesteel of some kind and something high visibility to the lanyard loop in the pommel, it will be an improvement without being overkill.

#132640 - 05/12/08 01:21 PM Re: My Do It All knife sheath [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Glad it works for you. My only concern would be the additional sharpeners zip tied on. Can you slide them out, or must you cut the ties to use them? If you can slip them out, can they fall out by accident? If you have to cut the ties, what do you do with them after that?

How 'bout a pic of those chaps???

#132641 - 05/12/08 01:32 PM Re: My Do It All knife sheath [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The ties as I have them would need to be cut off. I do carry spares as part of my regular kit but I've been considering replacing them with re-usable ties. I just didn't want to cut re-usable ones if it wasn't going to work. It would be rare that I'd need to field sharpen anything anyhow but I feel more comfortable knowing I can (I see them being used to sharpen somebody elses knife before they get hurt before I'd need it for my own). I wouldn't have a problem with sticking the sticks into a pocket after removing them for use if I couldn't get them back in. I've also considered zip tieing 4-6 small rubber o-rings to hold the rods in but I think they might flop around too much for my liking.

That's definately a point scored for custom Kydex over my ghetto rigged stuff.

Since it was a training exercise there are lots of pictures of me in sexy yellow chaps...I just don't have copies yet. Once I do I'll toss one up for your collective amusement.

#132642 - 05/12/08 01:46 PM Re: My Do It All knife sheath [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...sexy yellow chaps..."

I hope that they are better looking than my bright orange chainsaw chaps...

#132650 - 05/12/08 02:56 PM Re: My Do It All knife sheath [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Either way that's a pretty good idea.

I have a firesteel at home which I've melted the handle off of. It might fit in the multitool pouch...that's good enough for me. The nice thing about the multitool is that if my hands can't hold the steel with no handle (too cold, etc.), I can grip it in the pliers and strike it with the knife.

#132659 - 05/12/08 03:31 PM Re: My Do It All knife sheath [Re: ]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like the idea of having everything together for a throw on and go -- like a batbelt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.