Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#132585 - 05/11/08 05:45 PM Re: Making improvised shoes and clothing [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Making clothing isn't very difficult, just time consuming. You need a good pattern but you can make that yourself. When I've made things I've made the patterns myself based on the measurements of clothes I already have. Given cloth or leather I could make very acceptable clothes. Shoes are a little more difficult, but I could make sandals pretty easily. But then I do a fair amount of leather work and everything is pretty much just a combination of measuring, cutting and stitching.

#132600 - 05/12/08 12:40 AM Re: Making improvised shoes and clothing [Re: AROTC]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

There's no way I'd wear sandals made from old tires. I used to work at a recycling place which ground up old tires. The wires in the steel belts and beads are bad news for feet and if they're damaged in any way (like being cut into a sandal pattern) they'll eventually work their way out...possibly into ones feet.

Ever since I helped a guy who had a tire bead wire go through his rubber boot, then his foot, then the boot again to the hospital I've been super careful with cut up/damaged/shredded tires.

#132603 - 05/12/08 01:21 AM Re: Making improvised shoes and clothing [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
And his ammo. And knife. And, well, you get it. Like the tee shirt says, "if you die first, we're splitting up your gear"...

#132605 - 05/12/08 02:07 AM Re: Making improvised shoes and clothing [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Actually if your plan was to take stuff from folks who don't need it any more it might be good to have some tailoring skills so that you can make the clothes fit better (or fit period) and repair any wear and tear so that they last as long as possible.

I think of this issue not in regards to TSHTF but related to being out in the bush for an extended period of time and having wardrobe problem. I carry a change of clothes but if something bad happens to one shirt or one pair of pants, I know I'd do a poor job of sewing together a repair...but I'd still try.

This isn't so hard to believe as I used to think it was. If I fall in a rocky area and shred a pair of pants, I have to switch to the spares. If I soak/shred/etc that pair too, I'm going to want to change especially if it's cold...the first pair could be unwearable unless I do something to fix them...not a job to undertake while hypothermia sets in. To leave them shredded I might as well leave them in the bush and save myself the weight. Either way it's in my best interest to repair those pants as best I can. Even a knee hole should be fixed right away as it could lead to further unrepairable damage. We don't carry reams of cloth and sewing machines do we?

#132613 - 05/12/08 02:43 AM Re: Making improvised shoes and clothing [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Repairing clothes is a very valuable skill indeed.

To make new ones entirely? bit more to that one.

gives me some ideas for a new project next time I am in the field.

Making my own knives is one thing. Making a new uniform may get me a visit to the mental health nurse. crazy

#132630 - 05/12/08 11:24 AM Re: Making improvised shoes and clothing [Re: ]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Thats a good, point, I doubt I'll ever need to make clothes even though I could. But I have needed to repair clothes. I don't carry reams of cloth or even patches with me in the field. But I do carry denim stuff sacks which could decompose pretty easily into patches. And unlike ready made patches they're big enough to cover the whole butt of my pants if I need something that big. Or I can cut one up and make several smaller patches.

#132633 - 05/12/08 12:03 PM Re: Making improvised shoes and clothing [Re: AROTC]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Old tires make a decent shoe tread. We made some open toe'd zapatas out of cut up old bias ply ties and scrap leather thong. they weren't the most comfortable, but they were far superior to wearing nothing. Japanese wooden sandals are even more basic; just don't plan on going miles a day in them. Sabot are okay but they are a bit tough to mfr. It's usually done with special wood gouges that scoop out the insides to fit. Mocassins are okay, and I happen to have enough saddle leather to make decent soles, but the suede soled variety won't last any longer nor be any better than a good pair of socks.

#132722 - 05/13/08 04:32 AM Re: Making improvised shoes and clothing [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa

Edited by Raspy (05/13/08 04:34 AM)

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#133414 - 05/21/08 02:22 PM Re: Making improvised shoes and clothing [Re: BillLiptak]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If I the zombie infestation had driven me out into the woods, I think my sewing skills would soon improve, from jsut wanting to keep things together and also because I would want something to do to keep my mind busy.

If you want to make clothes, several skills may be needed. One, you will need you cloth, whatever it is, and preparing that is going to take some doing. This could involve, spinning fibers into threads or yarns. It could involve tanning hides, weaving threads, knitting, and probably a number of other things.

However, if one had cloth, then that ratty pants that have passed surviving another day as anything so much as a loin cloth, may have one further use, as a pattern. Years ago, I wanted to make a ball that seemed to be made from fur. In order to make a pattern, I cut the cover off a baseball. I think I could get a pair of pants or a shirt apart and use it in the sme way.

#133434 - 05/21/08 05:25 PM Re: Making improvised shoes and clothing [Re: Dan_McI]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I know that I can sew, ive made shirts without a patters and know how to make beanies and pants, and im currently working on a pair of all leather shoes

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.