Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#132529 - 05/10/08 11:25 PM Re: New commercial 72 hour kit. Comments? [Re: Rodion]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Originally Posted By: Rodion
Two major points:
1. Aquamira tabs aren't meant to be used separately of Aquamira filters and, as far as I am aware, are utterly ineffective against both Giardia and Cryptosporidium. Water treatment is, therefore, null.

I believe you are thinking of a different product, perhaps their other tablets for improving the taste of stored water. These are, indeed, purifiers and effective against G. and C.

http://www.aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-purifier-tablets-12-pack

Edited: Welcome to ETS.

Edited by jaywalke (05/10/08 11:26 PM)

#132530 - 05/10/08 11:51 PM Re: New commercial 72 hour kit. Comments? [Re: jaywalke]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
I agree this is generally a decent kit for the $$, and likely would have got one if I didn't have all of the items. LVO is also good to deal with. Even the packaging is way better than usual, very neat and organised and pro. And of course you'll notice Dougs piccy on there...

A little experience and you will swap a few items out according to preference/need. But I'm sure they wanted an "under $100" price point. My biggest beef is with the AMK compass: at one time they may have been good, but I have yet to see one I'd call acceptable, nowhere near the quality and effectiveness of the Suunto micro that costs only a few bucks. I only jump on this because IMO a compass is important, and the type of people who might buy this kit may not have any other one. I hope they would if they're backpackers, but this kit looks to me as being aimed at people who have "nothing". To be extremely blunt and non-PC, intending to rely on anything important that's made in China in a survival situation is IMO a very poor concept... I wish AMK would talk to Suunto, raise the kit price a couple bucks, and have a real "keeper" micro compass to match the quality of the rest of the PSK stuff.

#132563 - 05/11/08 08:49 AM Re: New commercial 72 hour kit. Comments? [Re: jaywalke]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: jaywalke
I believe you are thinking of a different product, perhaps their other tablets for improving the taste of stored water. These are, indeed, purifiers and effective against G. and C.

http://www.aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-purifier-tablets-12-pack

Edited: Welcome to ETS.

Yeah, those are the ones. Too bad I wasn't aware of the difference when I bought mine...

www.kravmagafederation.com

#132625 - 05/12/08 09:49 AM Re: New commercial 72 hour kit. Comments? [Re: Todd W]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

That is a pretty decent set of kit, although I would echo the thoughts about a 72hr kit v indefinite wilderness survival

For me, the addition of a knife and a cook pot (if it's a 5x7in stuffsack, you could house some of the kit in a tin that would hold a pint) would be necessary - then I'd add food and some extra FAK bits and I'd be good to go

As ever, the balance is between the optimum kit for the situation and making sure you have some thing with you - should I end up lost in the woods, I'd be damn grateful to have this lot with me.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.