Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#132514 - 05/10/08 07:47 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
The newer products from QuickClot generate little if any heat.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed this new Combat Gauze. Well, it was just announced a couple weeks ago, it seems, at least from the press announcement.

Although sold under the QuickClot brand name, the Combat Gauze uses a completely different substance from the original QuickClot. Basically a certain type of clay--Kaolin clay, to be exact. The same clay that gave the anti-diarrhea product, Kaopectate, its name.

However, from the little I've read about the Combat Gauze, I believe that there is still one specific area where Celox has an advantage--when dealing with a person with comprised clotting ability. The Kaolin relies on enhancing the body's normal clotting ability, however, for people with comprised clotting, like those on heparin therapy, I don't know how well the clay would work. In contrast, the chitosan in Celox works independently of the body's normal clotting mechanism. Anyway, not something that most soliders have to worry about, but quite a few older folks are on heparin, so just something that came to mind.

#132527 - 05/10/08 11:00 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Arney]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My experience with bleeding is primarily from trauma associated with back country situations - lots of fractures, some open, major and minor lacerations, and one near amputation of an arm (which was later removed in the hospital). We employed direct pressure, elevation, and occasionally pressure points - right out of the then current FA book. We were always able to stop the bleeding readily - never had to consider using a tourniquet which I would imagine is the situation where Quick Clot would be most useful.

I asked a friend of mine working professionally as a paramedic if he had ever had any problems with bleeding (two plus years experience). No such events.

I don't think I will bother with Quick Clot. It certainly might be useful in a battlefield environment, but I doubt that it is necessary in more normal situations. I will use the space and money saved for more 4x4s and elastic bandages.

#132532 - 05/11/08 12:09 AM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: hikermor]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My take on QuickClot and the clones is that they would be great when you have someone bleeding badly, and the bad guys are still shooting at you, giving you no time for direct pressure, elevation, etc. Or you have multiple victims and don't have the time. Been there done that, wishing that I had something like QuickClot (but would probably been prohibited from using it by departmental policy)...

#132537 - 05/11/08 12:37 AM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I had QuickClot in my kit ~3 years ago and removed it. I agree with the previous posters regarding the usage of it. It now sits at home in my 'gear' box.

#132541 - 05/11/08 02:25 AM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Todd W]
corpsman Offline
Journeyman

As a Corpsman in the Navy, I found that "Ace" wraps or elastic bandages were a GREAT "one size fits all."

Wrap loosely to cover or hold something on, wrap tightly for a good pressure dressing.

I buy them in various sizes at the dollar store... WAY cheaper than kerlex or cling.

OTOH, the elastics do NOT stick to themselves like many of the more "modern" products.

#132694 - 05/12/08 10:12 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: corpsman]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

hey guys, looking at suppliers for my troop FAK and I found These Guys, looks like really cheap medical supplies (69 cent ace wraps for example) Has anyone used them? This might help others out as well

(usual disclamer, these are my oppinions bla bla bla)

-Jace

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#132695 - 05/12/08 10:19 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: climberslacker]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Wow^^^that sounded like an advertisment, you guys no me, I don't do that! I really don't have any contacts within them so please forgive me!

Have you seen the arrow?

#132730 - 05/13/08 12:20 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: corpsman]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
ACE bandages and kerlix are 2 completely different products..

#132731 - 05/13/08 12:33 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: JIM]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yeah, but they will both hold those 4x4's on a wound...

#132735 - 05/13/08 01:28 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I know the difference between an ace bandage and kerlex, the cheap ace bandages just are the things that jump to mind...Kerlix is rike roller gauze and a brand name, like ace bandages that are elastic and used a lot for twisted anckels and less for bleeding...

Have you seen the arrow?

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.