The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#132410 - 05/09/08 05:25 AM Re: Lesson learned from Burma [Re: Art_in_FL]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
As was said, few Burmese can afford reasonable preparations, be it a boat or backpack of food.

Evacuation may not have been practical anyway: I don't think the area has the infrastructure in terms of rail or road, train or bus.

And their problems are only beginning. This was the primary food production area in Burma and it has just been substantially inundated by salt water. Rice exports from Burma have been falling from 4 million tons years ago to under 40,000 tons now, which implies that even before this the country was barely able to feed itself.

And speaking of salt water inundations ... the satellite images suggest the salt water spread well inland. What will they drink?

I suspect that living inland and farming on the coast is not realistic. Transportation is a luxury there. I doubt many third world farmers can afford to living beyond easy walking distance of their field.

#132413 - 05/09/08 09:47 AM Re: Lesson learned from Burma [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
To get back to the OP.... stuff to accumulate?

lots of 4x4 (bulk come in 100 packs), gauze rolls (bulk is usually about 12), a few ace wraps. Maybe a SAM splint. Some Immodium/Pepto, some Benadryl or other allergy pill. Whatever personal meds you take. Some sort of NSAID (aspirin, motrin) or Tylenol. Don't forget to rotate this stock out. Maybe a roll of Toilet Paper (while waiting for the Immodium to work). A box of various size bandaids, a tube or 2 of Bacitracin or Neosporin (apply lightly!). Some butterfly bandages or steri-strips, if you can get someone to show you how to use them properly. Gloves, if you feel the need.

That should do you until a first responder shows up.

#132461 - 05/09/08 08:37 PM Re: Lesson learned from Burma [Re: NightHiker]
OIMO Offline
Opinion Is My Own
Journeyman

Loc: UK
If you are flush with cash and want to cover all the bases take a look at the modular first aid kits designed for yatchs that operate 150nm+ offshore and/or 24hrs+ from medical care.

Some of them are designed to be as 'novice' friendly as possible just in case the trained personnel are the ones in need of medical attention, however they are not cheap!

#132471 - 05/09/08 11:50 PM Re: Lesson learned from Burma [Re: OIMO]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
For preparations in the US...

I've been directly hit by three hurricanes on the coastline, and my opinion is "if you have to ask, evacuation is the answer". Others with more experience will likely say the same - the list of things you need is long, varied and not obvious.

Food, water and cooking fuel for 3 weeks. The means severals gallons of water per person per day for 20+ days, not a drop less. If you don't feel silly storing so much water it's not enough.

Axe and pry bar, chainsaws, chains, chain oil, gas. You may have to cut your way out of shelter and will spend a few days clearing roads.

Heavy boots and heavy gloves. There is sharp-edged debris everywhere and no emergency medical treatment for a while, so avoiding needless risk is important.

A flashlight is good for inspecting the shelter immediately after the storm passes but otherwise don't work at night - stepping on a nail is a real possibility and never worth it.

There are plenty of displaced fireants and snakes as well as nails and glass so a medical kit ought to contemplate those as well.

The main thing is to remember if that the "first responder" is several days away, maybe 2-3 weeks. And supplies need to last that long unrefrigerated.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.