#132391 - 05/09/08 02:41 AM Weather Service radio
PaleHorse Offline

whats a top of the line weather radio?

Thanks for your time and knowledge

#132400 - 05/09/08 03:52 AM Re: Weather Service radio [Re: PaleHorse]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Please define "top of the line." I have several radios that will pick up NOAA weather, from a hand cranker to a high dollar scanner to a hand held FRS radio(s). All seem to work equally well...

#132412 - 05/09/08 09:17 AM Re: Weather Service radio [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Onedzguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lost in Waipahu, HI
PaleHorse, Your might want to check this LINK

#132423 - 05/09/08 12:57 PM Re: Weather Service radio [Re: Onedzguy]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I have three weather radios:

Midland 74-250 - This is the yellow portible one. I don't really like it as much as the other since I really stumble through use of the controls each time I use it. Its just not as intuitive as the Oregon Scientifics. One of the big flaws is that it only runs on batteries. Plugging in the AC adaptor is only for charging the cadmium batteries.

Oregon Scientific WR103, which has been replaced with the very similar looking WR601 - This is the silver portible one. I really like this radio. The controls are fairly intuitive and easy to use. This one will run off of AC via the charger.

I'll recommend the WR601 to you. It works well both portible (I take it camping with me) and on a desk.

I also have several of an Oregon Scientific desktop model that can pretty easily be used portable. I think it is no longer available - probably replaced by the multipurpose WR601.

I tended to buy my weather radios from http://www.ambientweather.com/radiosnoaa.html if that helps.

#132434 - 05/09/08 03:35 PM Re: Weather Service radio [Re: KenK]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I have the same two portable radios that Ken mentions. If you want a radio to leave plugged in at home but can take along occasionally, then the Oregon Scientific is the logical choice. But I like the Midland because it only uses 2xAA versus the more typical 3xAA and the text it displays during an alert is more informative. I remember being rather shocked two or three years back when something like "Tsunami watch..." scrolled across the Midland's screen while it started beeping. An earthquake up near the Oregon border triggered a tsunami watch all down the West coast. Luckily, no tsunami developed.

Oh, whatever you get, I highly suggest that it uses SAME technology so you can limit the alerts to just your area. Well, anything "top of the line" should have it, but I'll just mention it.

#132448 - 05/09/08 06:36 PM Re: Weather Service radio [Re: Arney]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I use a scanner.

I’m not looking for weather alert radio that goes off every time there is 3-rain drops coming down in the area.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#132449 - 05/09/08 06:52 PM Re: Weather Service radio [Re: BobS]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: BobS
I’m not looking for weather alert radio that goes off every time there is 3-rain drops coming down in the area.

This hasn't been my experience with the weather radios. They only go off when there is an alert or warning issued for my SAME area.

Actually I'm just the opposite. I don't want the chatter of a scanner when I don't need it. The weather radio sits quietly until a real alert is issued.

#132454 - 05/09/08 07:13 PM Re: Weather Service radio [Re: PaleHorse]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
You know, I have a few weather radios, with SAME alerting and I've gotten so sick of the "Severe Weather Warnings" that they issue all the time with their slightly hysterical version of the Steven Hawking voice synthesizer

WARNING: IT GETS HOT IN THE SUMMER!
WARNING: RAIN IS WET!
WARNING! WEAR A HAT WHEN YOU GO OUT. YOU'LL CATCH A DEATH OF A
COLD. DON'T BLAME US IF YOU END UP SICK IN BED.

The warnings come so frequently and for trivial reasons - we just turned the darn thing off.

I'm not even talking about the Weather Watches which are issued about 90 times a day.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE: THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF A CHANCE OF BRIEF SHOWERS TONIGHT MAYBE. SKYWARN ACTIVATION IS REQUESTED.

When we think of the folks at the local NOAA Weather Radio station my wife and I envision a really nervous bunch of folks deep in a bunker cowering at the thought of a sky over their heads.

It's a shame - they have squandered a good system by polluting it with info-crap.

We still have the radio, but I can't think of the last time we turned it on for any reason.

There's a lesson in here, somewhere.

#132455 - 05/09/08 07:20 PM Re: Weather Service radio [Re: MartinFocazio]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
You know, I have a few weather radios, with SAME alerting and I've gotten so sick of the "Severe Weather Warnings" that they issue all the time with their slightly hysterical version of the Steven Hawking voice synthesizer

WARNING: IT GETS HOT IN THE SUMMER!
WARNING: RAIN IS WET!
WARNING! WEAR A HAT WHEN YOU GO OUT. YOU'LL CATCH A DEATH OF A
COLD. DON'T BLAME US IF YOU END UP SICK IN BED.

The warnings come so frequently and for trivial reasons - we just turned the darn thing off.

I'm not even talking about the Weather Watches which are issued about 90 times a day.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE: THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF A CHANCE OF BRIEF SHOWERS TONIGHT MAYBE. SKYWARN ACTIVATION IS REQUESTED.

When we think of the folks at the local NOAA Weather Radio station my wife and I envision a really nervous bunch of folks deep in a bunker cowering at the thought of a sky over their heads.

It's a shame - they have squandered a good system by polluting it with info-crap.

We still have the radio, but I can't think of the last time we turned it on for any reason.

There's a lesson in here, somewhere.

I live in Nebraska and we get our fair share of severe weather around here and I don't think it going off to much is a problem. I think you were joking but mine does not go off for watches. A light comes, but it doesnt activate. If you set it with SAME you should only get relevant warnings. That being said if you pay attention to the weather you dont really need one on all the time.

#132456 - 05/09/08 07:22 PM Re: Weather Service radio [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio

Really? My radio never alerts except for things like that tsunami watch I mentioned, or really severe weather, like the time there was a tornado warning near Anaheim a few years back. Other than that, it's just the weekly test broadcast.

When I watch the Weather Channel or the local weather, I can see that the NWS has issued X or Y warning all the time, but my weather radio has never activated on any of those.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.