Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#132064 - 05/05/08 05:56 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: MDinana]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
Any guy who has the GUTS to show up in a kilt to date my daughter is OK by me, so long as he is wearing his sporan, and his blade. Give me a little warning, and I'll have some pipers ready...

You may give him credit for GUTS, but don't forget, kilts are typically a "commando" type of garmet. eek

That is understood. Let's face it, a zipper and a pair of underware are going to make very little difference. What is going to make a difference is their attitude. Basically the word no - unless you are willing to chaperone them (which is a valid thing to do)

Basically, you have to raise your child up right. One reason I think the "fathers of daughters" are so paranoid is they remember exactly what they were like at the same age. Sigh
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#132070 - 05/05/08 07:10 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: KG2V]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
...One reason I think the "fathers of daughters" are so paranoid is they remember exactly what they were like at the same age. Sigh

For this reason I hope I have sons... What hair I have left is grey enough without adding a daughter!!!!! ;-)

In all honesty, i'm happy with either a boy or a girl...

#132435 - 05/09/08 04:03 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Kris]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Has anyone considered adding a pack or two of Celox to their FAK? I keep a pack with my survival kit, just in case.
Celox

I've read many great reviews on this product. Will definitely help with the bleeding. Of course keep some rolled guaze and 4x4s on hand.

#132436 - 05/09/08 04:08 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Mike_H]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Two military EMT guys I know just told me that Celox and products like it are completely illegal in Canada. I had no idea.

I guess if you get any on your hands and then rub your eye it can cauterize your cornea with possible permanent eye damage. Imagine if the powder was to blow up into your face, nose and eyes...sounds bad.

#132437 - 05/09/08 04:18 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: ]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Illegal in Canada? Interesting... Completely legal here.

Would love to find out more information about that, esp. about eye contact. I have not read any literature about eye contact that would indicate that about Celox (as it does not produce heat), nor is there an inhilation danger of it.

If anyone has any solid source to the contrary about Celox, would love to hear it!

#132439 - 05/09/08 04:30 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Mike_H]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I did some Googling and I think they may have been over generalizing all of the available hemostatic agents out there into the types like Quikclot which generate heat and are more invasive than Celox.

Unfortunately I can't find much information about any hazards with any such product or their legality in Canada. I also can't find any online retailers in Canada which sell these products.

#132441 - 05/09/08 04:48 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I did some Googling and I think they may have been over generalizing all of the available hemostatic agents out there into the types like Quikclot which generate heat and are more invasive than Celox.

"Cauterizing" sounds more like a warning about exothermic products like QuikClot or TraumaDex. Inhalation is also a signficant worry with those two products when applied as loose powder. Even application on a sucking chest wound is not advised.

I'm not aware of any particular risk with Celox. I don't have any of them, but if I did carry one of these types of products, I would pick Celox. It seems to be the most benign product that still works as advertised.

#132442 - 05/09/08 05:05 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Arney]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

That is what I thought too... Celox was probably the safest one to use and anyone can use it...

I think the benefits far outweigh the risks when using a product like this. It also seems to be more tolerated and easily removed than other products.

Of course, your first course of action is the apply pressure and elevate, but it is nice to have something like this in your "bag of tricks" for those unplanned events.

#132445 - 05/09/08 05:51 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Mike_H]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

The newer products from QuickClot generate little if any heat. This market is constantly changing.

QC's new Combat Gauze is a roll of Kerlix impregnated with non-heating hemostatic agent. Initial feedback has been very positive. Currently costs about $35 a roll at Chinook Medical.

#132495 - 05/10/08 12:25 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

Many years ago when I worked as a dental assistant, we used something we called "Gelfoam" to pack into sockets after extractions to stop bleeding. I don't know if that was a generic term or the porduct name. It seems that something like that - a more solid, spongy substance, would be a lot safer than a powder that could blow around or be spread. If "gelfoam" would be practical for a large wound, I don't know.

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.