Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#132398 - 05/09/08 03:40 AM BOB Food
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
So I migrated my BOB to a new edition of the same pack (maxpedition) and found out some of my food had spoiled and opened.

My powerbars were smooshed, cracked, and oozing, not one was in 'good' condition. My pack is ~3 years old and I use it when I go camping, 4wheeling and ATV'n... it rides strapped to the back of one of them. I don't use things in it regularly but I do access it occasionally. I also had some beef jerky in there that was sealed and super greasy, and I was able to break it in half it had dried out so much.

On a + side my sardines were in perfect condition smile Also my mainstay was still holding up but the food in side had def. loosened up and was no longer tight in the vacuum seal.

Another thing to take note of was my trioxane tablets had almost made it through their mil. wrapper!! This could be extremely dangerous and bad if it was near your food supply as it is not healthy at all.

So, it seems anything with an aluminum/metal type wrapper has cracked, ripped at the seams or got a hole poked into it.

What are you keeping in your BOB to eat that can handle real every-weekend type carry?

If I had room I would use a nalgene bottle to hold the items that can be crushed but my pack is full!

-Todd

#132402 - 05/09/08 04:15 AM Re: BOB Food [Re: Todd W]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
ToddW:
I use the Millennium bars, after being in my pack for Two years they still are tight. you can find them at www.beprepared.com
I must admit that they usally don't last that long before I eat them.
this will take you right to them:
http://beprepared.com/search.asp?t=ss&ss=millennium+bar

#132405 - 05/09/08 04:42 AM Re: BOB Food [Re: big_al]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I would look for a small Pelican case or something similar to put them. You are already using that space anyway. I would also look for a way to compartmentalize in order to maximize the space. Also, look at shifting things out.

Re-evaluate the entire pack and see if something needs to be removed/added. I believe Hacksaw and Taurus re-evaluate their packs about every six hours or so it seems. crazy

Either way, empty the pack and rethink it.

#132408 - 05/09/08 05:23 AM Re: BOB Food [Re: MoBOB]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
I would look for a small Pelican case or something similar to put them. You are already using that space anyway. I would also look for a way to compartmentalize in order to maximize the space. Also, look at shifting things out.

Re-evaluate the entire pack and see if something needs to be removed/added. I believe Hacksaw and Taurus re-evaluate their packs about every six hours or so it seems. crazy

Either way, empty the pack and rethink it.

I removed items when switching packs smile I go through mine about once a year and remove/add items at that time. My biggest changes have been the realization of to many of the same thing. I have gear in my vehicles already, and this is like an extra-extra-safety net kind of thing since I don't hike with this it's only with me in my truck, quad, atv, jeep etc... so my 2 spare pair of socks in my BOB is pointless since I have 2 spare in my jeep. So I cut down to 1 spare in my BOB and that sort of thing. On a side note I did bring my BOB on a jeep trip w/a friend in his jeep and I did eat a power bar after we broke down and almost had to spend the night (then I could have used my hammock and other gear!!).

Great idea on the pelican case i`ll have to check those out smile

I have "sub-packs" (compartments I guess).. I have 4. Stove/Cups/Related. First Aid. Water Purification. Clothes.

I def. would not want to hike far with this but I could, and I could break it down by removing some packs and giving them to someone else to carry or holding in my hand to stabilize differently.

Another thing I noticed while taking apart the pack and putting it in a new one was I didn't have any source of renewable fire starting. I had matches, I had a $/bling wind-proof ligther but no blast match or firesteel (other than in handle of knife).

I used to have my entire kit on a post here but I think the pictures went away. I`ll have to make a new one soon.

#132409 - 05/09/08 05:23 AM Re: BOB Food [Re: big_al]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: big_al
ToddW:
I use the Millennium bars, after being in my pack for Two years they still are tight. you can find them at www.beprepared.com
I must admit that they usally don't last that long before I eat them.
this will take you right to them:
http://beprepared.com/search.asp?t=ss&ss=millennium+bar

Thanks I`ll have to get some and see how they do.

#132411 - 05/09/08 05:28 AM Re: BOB Food [Re: Todd W]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Link to old post about the BOB pics are gone.. I`ll re-upload soon:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...=true#Post66266

And as a side note I still have items to add from my old list frown

Edited by ToddW (05/09/08 05:28 AM)

#132415 - 05/09/08 11:06 AM Re: BOB Food [Re: Todd W]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
For food in water tight containers, I'd look more at a Lock'n'Lock container- lighter, less expensive, and more efficent in terms of space. You can run them over with a car without having them fail, but if you are looking for a second string of water protection and crush proofing, it will be might work out better in the long run.

What I keep stored is rotated out of BOB every six months.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#132416 - 05/09/08 11:09 AM Re: BOB Food [Re: Todd W]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

As a suggestion, don't know if this can/would work for your set up, but you say that a nalgene bottle could work if you had the space for it. Since you are using a maxpedition pack which should have a plethora of PALS webbing points, is it feasable to attach either a small rolly polly or their new water bottle pouches to your pack? I'm thinking the rolly polly if you wanted the ability to collapse the pouch when not in use, the water bottle pouch if you wanted to squeak a little extra pocket space (they have a zippered pouch on the side). Just an option.

-Bill Liptak

#132417 - 05/09/08 11:25 AM Re: BOB Food [Re: ironraven]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
IronRaven,

These http://www.organize.com/lolofostco.html look interesting for some other uses in packs - which sizes are you using, functionality, weight, good and bad points, etc, please.

IOW, review 'em for us, please!

They are cheap enough in the sizes I looked at that I am thinking about scouts PFAK in the very small sizes.

Tom

#132419 - 05/09/08 12:12 PM Re: BOB Food [Re: Todd W]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
If your Mainstay bars are loose, then you've lost seal and those can't be trusted. I had some arrive that way in a shipment from SOSFoodLabs (different company, same type of thing -- they make the Millenium bars, too). When I called SOS, they asked me to throw them away and sent free replacements.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.