Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#132355 - 05/08/08 05:38 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: Susan]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Susan
Do people who routinely ride the trains KNOW which is the third rail?

I think most regular NYC subway riders would know what the third rail is. You spend a lot of time staring it from the platform waiting for the next subway.

But, would you know it walking in a dark tunnel? That's the real question. It would be very easy to accidentally kick the third rail with your toe as you stumbled around in the dark/semi-dark. The cover only shields it from above.

#132356 - 05/08/08 05:40 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: Susan]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
The "Third Rail" in the NYC Subway system is a rail carrying 600 Volts, DC. The rail can be on either side of the main tracks, as there are pickup "shoes" as they are called on both sides of the train.

The main tracks are also a conductor, serving as the "ground" to the 3rd rails "hot" (think home wiring - the third rail is the black wire, the tracks are the white wire).

Here's an illustration I made to show how it works:

The current from the third rail powers all functions of the train.

The third rail itself is only slightly guarded from accidental contact through the installation of a wooden insulating plank mounted above the rail.

This system is also used by the Long Island Rail Road and hundreds of other systems.

see more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_rail

#132359 - 05/08/08 06:00 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: MartinFocazio]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The train here has no rail. It has arms which reach up to cables suspended from the top of the tunnel like a trolley car. Makes the above ground parts of the route much safer for passers by I imagine.

#132365 - 05/08/08 06:50 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: Susan]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
So how hard is it to open the doors when the train system loses power? IMO a good flashlight is a top priority for any kit in the city.

Actually it depends on the kind of train. Most models in service can be opened with the emergency release swith, but not all. But if a traincrash happend, doors may not be usefull because of damage, or when the train is on it's side.

Originally Posted By: Susan
I keep hearing about the 'third rail'. So, which rail is it? Is it the one farthest to the right when you're facing the same way the train is facing?

Do people who routinely ride the trains KNOW which is the third rail?

Sue

Depends on the model of train and kind of tracks used. I have seen subways with third rails on the ground, on the sides and the kabels on top.

#132374 - 05/08/08 09:13 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: KG2V]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Here is an annotated version of the image KC2ixe posted:

#132587 - 05/11/08 05:56 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: MartinFocazio]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
The Subivor website is at http://www.subivor.com/home.html.

Looks like a plausible kit to me. I'd really only question the moist towelettes. Also the prybar might be a bit big for every day carry. Dustmask, torch, whistle are good things to have.

Edited by Brangdon (05/11/08 05:57 PM)

#132621 - 05/12/08 06:18 AM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: Brangdon]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Moist towelettes could be the only shower you get if you're trapped for days in a tunnel. Feeling clean can really keep morale up. Most of my emergency kits have at least one 'Wet Ones' toilette.

#132624 - 05/12/08 08:32 AM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: ]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
OK - other than the river crossings, what tunnel in the NYC subway could you get stuck in for days, and still be in the situation to use moist towelettes? Seriously? NYC subways are all "cut and cover" and are less than 20 feet down - and the whole right of way has emeregncy exits ever couple of hundred yards, and have air grates a lot closer than that

If you're stuck for a couple of days - you are either
1)In a river crossing
2)there are 1-2 spots up by Harlem that are deep
3)Or have a whole buildings worth of debris on top of you, and blocking the tunnel on both ends, and hint, even the WTC didn't take out the tunnel THAT bad (still lucky that there were no trains in the Rector St stop, but...

The Moist towelettes would most likely be useful for when yoy grab onto a handrail or a grab bar, and there was some "shmutz" on it
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#132643 - 05/12/08 01:48 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: KG2V]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
I'm surprised the poor fellow wasn't sued for disturbing the peace...

The dialogue between myself and whoever comes into contact with the "just in case" part of my life can be summarized as such:

Them: You're wasting money.

Me: You waste more on smoking and alcohol.

Them: You can't be prepared for everything.

Me: You're prepared for nothing.

Them: You're a jerk for surviving when the rest of us croak.

Me: You're a jerk for making me save you.

Them: You should be studying.

Me: Yes. frown

Aside from that...

I'm not kidding. People have actually told me that being prepared is somehow unfair to everyone else. As if I'm some Wall Street big shot building a nuclear vault under Mount Rushmore. For Jews' sake, when lights went out at the bar I work in, I was the only one with a flashlight. How they intended to operate the electrical board in total darkness is a mystery* to me, considering it's conveniently located above a working grill.

Whenever someone asks me to open a can (in a working kitchen, mind you), my SAK is the only tool available for the job. I am also more often than not the only one with a lighter.

My neighbor called me "Rambo" upon discovering I have two flashlights in my posession. What people would do if they saw a FAK in my class bag, I'm afraid to imagine.

I believe the reason for such mentality is, paradoxically, Darwinian: people who focus on "making it" in the current state of affairs have an advantage over survivalists (and this is the gentler of the two terms I could have used) when it comes to investing time and effort into their career and what-not. Unless of course one could make a career out of survivalism. But that's not realistic, is it? wink

*I suspect use of the kitchen blowtorch is routine.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#132647 - 05/12/08 02:42 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: KG2V]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
OK - other than the river crossings, what tunnel in the NYC subway could you get stuck in for days, and still be in the situation to use moist towelettes?

I lived up in Washington Heights for a couple years so I spent a lot of time in the 168th St. station. I'm not certain how deep it is, but it's definitely much deeper than your normal subway station. They used to have this slow, human-operated elevator and the door had a small window. You'd watch the elevator shaft moving in front of you and it always felt like you were descending into the coal mines or something.

Let's not forget the logistical difficulty in moving lots of people around. If hundreds of airline passengers can be stranded out on the tarmac for a very long time in winter weather, it's certainly not beyond reason for subway passengers to be stuck underground or on an overhead section for a long time, too.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.