Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#132081 - 05/06/08 12:18 AM Re: Wall St. Journal says "Store Food Now" [Re: Loganenator]
Joy Offline
Journeyman

Hi Nemo,

I came across the Simple Living Smart website last night and wasn't able to get on for some reason. I passed it up for that reason. Only the top heading came up. But today with your link I was able to get on and check it out. Thank you so much for sharing it. I really like this new site and plan on becoming a member. They have video's and links to other sites that I like, like NitroPak.

Their video's give easy ways to fix foods using your food storage. Like how to make simple Popped Wheat to add to salads (like crouton's). I think the popped wheat would be a great addition to a salad of sprouts if you ever do have to rely on your food storage.

Anyway, thank you again for sharing it!

Joy

#132089 - 05/06/08 07:00 AM Re: Wall St. Journal says "Store Food Now" [Re: Loganenator]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Nemo
As a head's up to others just getting started into food storage, I have just found a relatively new web site for learning the basics of preparedness relating to water, food and tool use: Simply living smart

The usual caveat applies (I have no affiliation with this organization).

After perusing the site this weekend I have found it to be very helpful and approachable. The instructional videos are amateurish, but that just lends to the honesty of their project. From what I've gathered the couple that started the site seem to be just getting into the field/business, having recently moved to Idaho and launching this web site in the Summer/Fall of 2007. To fill in the gaps of their expertise in some areas it seems they have partnered with individuals who have greater experience and solicit seminars from emergency management officials on topics of emergency preparedness.

Anyway, I thought ya'all might want be interested in this site relating to the topic at hand. I've been learning a lot from this site in complement to what I have learned from ETS. Indeed, many subject areas overlap. The site registration, print articles, and instructional videos are all free. It looks like they do run a "webshop" containing some of the products they describe in the instructional videos but I think the website is primarily supported by Food Cannery sponsors at the bottom center of the page.

I'm curious to hear what others at this forum think of this new site. Interestingly it appears to me that "Home Food Storage" is becoming more mainstream. Still not to the level it was for our grandparents, but examples of news stories like the one in this thread and the start of websites like simplylivingsmart.com show the recognition of some of the general public to the benefits of preparedness. I wonder if we are on the way to an awareness "tipping point" of some kind. wink

Cheers,
Nemo

Hey again Nemo.

I HATE that they make you register to read their information.. if they are a business and selling me something they shuold let me read free and then decide to buy or not. Forcing me to register is pointless for them and me (unless they are tracking users to spam them).

#132099 - 05/06/08 03:17 PM Re: Wall St. Journal says "Store Food Now" [Re: Todd W]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: ToddW

Hey again Nemo.

I HATE that they make you register to read their information.. if they are a business and selling me something they shuold let me read free and then decide to buy or not. Forcing me to register is pointless for them and me (unless they are tracking users to spam them).

Yeah, and grocery stores should let me eat the food and make sure I like it before I pay them.

#132101 - 05/06/08 03:50 PM Re: Wall St. Journal says "Store Food Now" [Re: harstad]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Hey Todd,

To lend credence to their claims of "not selling info or spamming registered users", I have been registered for two weeks now on a new email address that no one has but them and I have only received a conformation letter and a newsletter from them. The new email address came free with my new DSL connection. I'll keep you posted if they ever spam me.

I think registering users makes users a little more accountable. IMHO since they are offering this service free (and they are just a small company out of Idaho) they can limit bandwidth to those folks who are serious about obtaining the info. Even google and youtube make you register to access many features of their site's content. The information age is a great resource but one side effect is bringing less privacy and I can understand folks who have a problem with that, it took a while for me to loosen my grip a little too. wink

Cheers,
Nemo

Edit: To add I think number of registered users would also be more attractive to potential advertisers than a general number of hits. It might be one reason why myspace and facebook are so popular. Also much of the information they are offering is "how to" in nature and not on "products" to sell. They do of course have products they recommend and sell through their site, but many things like their cooking courses and emergency prep videos are mainly informational in nature. Just my opinion...jeez I just realized I sound like a business man and I'm only an academic. wink

Edited by Nemo (05/06/08 04:11 PM)

#132118 - 05/06/08 07:15 PM Re: Wall St. Journal says "Store Food Now" [Re: Loganenator]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
The information age is a great resource but one side effect is bringing less privacy and I can understand folks who have a problem with that, it took a while for me to loosen my grip a little too.

That's why I have an anonymous account at Yahoo. I treat my actual e-mail addresses just like my home street address. If you don't need it, you don't get the real one. If it's someone that may need to contact me in a timely manner (i.e. I order something online) they get my actual address. If it's a site that needs an e-mail address to register but I don't care to receive mail/take the risk of spam from, they get the Yahoo account. I check it occasionally, clean out the junk that makes it through their spam filter, & forward anything I decide to keep/move the sender to the approved list to me.

Edit: I'm even worse about cookies and ActiveX plug-ins. You shouldn't have to have cookies until you actually add something to your cart or log in, even to a store site. Any site that wants to send ActiveX plug-ins makes me wonder what they're trying to download to my machine along with it.

Edited by UTAlumnus (05/06/08 07:25 PM)

#132127 - 05/06/08 08:08 PM Re: Wall St. Journal says "Store Food Now" [Re: Loganenator]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
IMHO since they are offering this service free (and they are just a small company out of Idaho) they can limit bandwidth to those folks who are serious about obtaining the info.

I'd think they would have better results if they split the difference by posting one or two of each category or even a contents page that you could access without registering. As it is, you're "buying a pig in a poke" for your information.

#132168 - 05/07/08 04:49 AM Re: Wall St. Journal says "Store Food Now" [Re: UTAlumnus]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

I agree UT,

I also use a junk email account, a personal email account and a business email account. Its a good approach. I do agree that providing most at least text info and some videos without registering would be a better approach and would give users a chance to see what they are registering for.

I'll have to send them an email listing your suggestion. I think a good example demonstrating your suggestion is this ETS forum. It allows folks to read and subcribe to the RSS feed but requires registration if a person wants to post, interact and become more involved.

Good points,

#132177 - 05/07/08 06:20 AM Re: Wall St. Journal says "Store Food Now" [Re: harstad]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: harstad
Originally Posted By: ToddW

Hey again Nemo.

Yeah, and grocery stores should let me eat the food and make sure I like it before I pay them.

I think you misunderstood what I said.

If they are providing information for free but requiring registration that is what I do NOT like. I am not saying I want to read the information and then pay for it if I think it's valuable. If it's information I want, and it's for sale I`ll buy it.

Nemo - Thanks for the info.

#132210 - 05/07/08 04:43 PM Re: Wall St. Journal says "Store Food Now" [Re: Todd W]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Gotcha. I understand.

It does seem counter-intuitive to register you for content they offer free regardless. Hmmm. I'll let you know of their rationale if/when they write me back. wink

Cheers,
Nemo

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.