The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#132125 - 05/06/08 08:06 PM Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Spotted this tidbit in a NYC Newspaper yesterday (click on the image to enlarge it):

If you can't read it, here's some key excerpts:

Wouldn't every straphanger want to carry a 3.5" flashlight, a 7" prybar, a metal whistle and a towlette to remove dirt, along with a disposable anti-fog mask?

That's what Bensonhurst resident David Ruggerio thought when he invented the Subvivor Subway Safety Kit last year. He was so confident in his invention that he placed an order for 10,000 with the manufacturer and promoted with a web site that reminded prospective customers of such events as the 1987 escalator fire at a London Underground Station that killed 31 people - and 9/11.

"I thought we were going to sell out the first week," said Ruggerio who works in the security industry....but Ruggerio has only sold a few hundred....

...for many New Yorkers, carrying an extra 12 ounces is, perhaps, too much. Octavia Green, 28, of the Bronx, thought the kit was only for "anal" people.
"Why would you need a crowbar to get out of a train and onto a track?" she asked. "You wouldn't know where you are. It's like a catch-22, you'd kill yourself trying to save yourself."

And down at the bottom, here's the newspapers suggested EDC - no I'm not making this up, look for yourself:
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • TranStrap - a portable strap that hooks to the bar so you don't have to touch it.
  • Mini-Fan
  • Almonds
  • Book
  • iPhone

You can't make this stuff up folks.
In case you're wondering, my NYC EDC is basic, basic - flashlight, whistle, bandanna, water, mobile phone and SAK or Leatherman tool - that's always on my person. I have some more stuff in the backpack (FAK, a few more tools, batteries) and that's with me when I'm on the subway.

#132135 - 05/06/08 09:13 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: MartinFocazio]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Most people don't care, don't want to inconvenience themselves, or just don't think it's "cool." On one hand, that's an advantage for those of us who take the time and effort to prepare ourselves. On the other hand, it's a disadvantage, because we're the ones who often have to help the less prepared.

All in all, sometimes you just have to do what you think is right and let other people do what they think is right.

#132136 - 05/06/08 09:13 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: MartinFocazio]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

if he did this right after 9/11, yes, he'd be sold out within a week, but now the memory is hazy, life goes on and he should have done some basic market research before placing that huge order.

#132139 - 05/06/08 09:42 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: MartinFocazio]
LED Offline
Veteran

Sad I even have to ask but, is a 7" emergency prybar legal in the subway? I'd think if there were some type of bag screening going on they'd confiscate it anyway, no?

#132140 - 05/06/08 09:57 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: horizonseeker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Market research would have been wise. I carry much of what Martin listed although I carry most of it in the backpack. In my pockets are things that I might need right now. The water can wait a bit; the FAK is usually for somebody else too so by definition that can wait wink but in my Mission Wallet is a 1xAAA LED flashlight (when the lights go out you need a flashlight right now), an SAK Spartan (when a bottle of wine needs opening. . .), a Leatherman Squirt E4 and a couple aspirin. My change purse carries small bills, coins and an SAK Classic. Cell phone is on my belt and sunglasses are on my face.

The backpack carries a lot of gear including a LM Charge TTi, Ritter RSK Mk1, a 4xAA LED flashlight, a GPS, spare AA & AAA batteries, a good FAK in a clear vinyl zip top bag, a clean cotton gym towel, a Small REI MultiTowel and a liter of water. I haven't seen a need to carry a pry bar although I keep one behind the seat of my truck with the fire extinguisher and serious FAK. The extra room in the backpack is reserved for whatever else I decide to take that day.

My guess is that a lot of folks in NYC don't do anything but answer a phone and go to lunch so the idea of carrying tools and being prepared to use them is alien. What's the FDNY for but to rescue me (it's all about me) when a disaster strikes. Why get out of a train when I can just sit in the dark and read my book waiting for somebody in charge to tell me what to do. 9-11 is so 2001

#132158 - 05/07/08 01:58 AM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: Russ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
There will always be people that don’t worry about “what if” and also always expect a support network to be on hand if ever needed.

Katrina should have told everyone this is not so and they may be on their own for several days or more.

Nothing you can really do to convince them to have even the simplest form of a kit with them. Just do what you feel you must for yourself and hope you are ready if anything happens, and let them fend for themselves.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#132162 - 05/07/08 02:28 AM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: Paul810]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

well, NY public will pay the price when the next disaster strikes. they have already forgotten 9/11.

#132165 - 05/07/08 04:02 AM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: picard120]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
some of us are prepared. Just wish my health was better. If I had to walk home like I did during the blackout - hahahahahahahahaha - I'm lucky if I can hobble a block or 2, which is partly why I spend the outragious prices to drive (and the fact that if I walk more than about 2 blocks, the next day will have me laying in bed screaming - and not in a good way wink )
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#132180 - 05/07/08 01:01 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: MartinFocazio]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Martin,

And this article as well as this guy's "failure" surprised you? NYC has shorter attention span to disasters than 3 week old puppy. If it is not free or hip NYCers don't want it. NYC will always be unprepared due to ignorance of its residents. No motivation or pre-emptive thinking is our signature move. We want handouts and someone else to care for us. 90% of sick people I come in contact with don't even have basic food/med supplies. Well they can afford a 60inch plasma TV but no medicine for their asthma. Trip to the hospital that could have been avoided by taking a tylenol ($5) turns into a 12 hr adventure with ambulance ride and hospital bill curtesy of tax payer and the city. Now NYC puts an importance scale on their call type for police and ems response. Now people learn to say the right thing. I say armed robbery and cops are there in 2 minutes. You say car break in and it takes them 5 hours. I say chest pain and get dual response under 10 min. You say sick and it takes me 20-30 min and priority is falling. Emergency Services and city gov't are NYC residents' backup and disater plan. But it's not necessary people fault. It's also the city that gives away stuff for free and maintains people on welfare making them dependent on the system. I'm hot - take me to ER with AC. I'm hungry - take me to ER with food. I'm thirsty - give me water. But than again natural selection in case of disaster maybe wouldn't be that bad. Maybe my rant machine went off for a bit there but it's true. NYC commuters and residents are more interested in portable fans and iphones than water and flashlight.

#132181 - 05/07/08 01:06 PM Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York [Re: Polak187]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Hey Matt, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel wink

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.