Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132090 - 05/06/08 11:35 AM 37 year-old Mountain House freeze dried food
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

37 year-old Mountain House freeze dried food still just as good as it was bought as it was opened in 2007 and tested.

I thought this was interesting, it gives Mountain House
Food a great compliment.

http://www.armchairsurvivalist.com/paulsmountain.html

Mountain House
Food that has lasted half a long lifetime

By Paul James

The year was 1975. At that time many Americans were concerned that the Cold War with Russia could turn hot. People all over the country were building bomb shelters in their backyards and storing large quantities of food.

I was one of them. I didn’t build a shelter, but I did order $10,000 worth of Mountain House freeze dried food to be delivered to my home in Virginia Beach, Virginia. When the shipment arrived from Oregon, my family sampled some blueberries which we all liked. After that the food was stored in the attics of our house and garage. There it rested until August, 2007.

My wife and I are in our 80s and our daughters, who live in Idaho, felt it was time we joined them. In August, 2007, we moved with all of our belongings and 227 cases of 37- year-old Mountain House freeze dried food.

First we opened a can of peas.

The moment I heard the swish air flowing into the can and felt their pellet-like hardness, I was convinced no air had entered the can for 37 years. The peas were fine.

We checked the blueberries and found them to taste exactly as we remembered them in 1975; the strawberries also kept perfectly. Since then we have twice served the scrambled egg mix. The added flavor of butter and salt were perfect to our taste.

Are we again approaching uncertain times that could affect the food supply? Will my decision to “stock up” during the Cold War 37 years ago soon be transformed from folly to fortune?

In any event, it is an honor to be in a position where I can safely say that freeze-dried food packed by Mountain House in 1975 (#10 cans, six cans per case), is still perfectly preserved after all these years.

Note: Several sources are reporting that food grains will be in short supply this year because farmers have planted so much government-subsidized, GMO corn for ethanol.

Paul James, 85, standing beside some 200 cases of Mountain House freeze dried food. Purchased and trucked all the way cross country from Oregon in 1975, this “mountain” of food was recently pulled down from where it was stored for 37 years. This photo was taken July 29, 2007, moments before the mountain was loaded into a moving van headed back across the country to Idaho.

#132096 - 05/06/08 02:18 PM Re: 37 year-old Mountain House freeze dried food [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Wow, that's a great testimonial for Mountain House! And the temperatures in that attic probably weren't optimal for long term storage either. Geez, $10,000 worth of food back in 1975...that was a lot of money!

#132102 - 05/06/08 03:51 PM Re: 37 year-old Mountain House freeze dried food [Re: ]
jfish Offline
Stranger

Looks like he had himself a little wiskey up there too.

#132104 - 05/06/08 03:53 PM Re: 37 year-old Mountain House freeze dried food [Re: jfish]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: jfish
Looks like he had himself a little wiskey up there too.

That could be considered an emergency provision grin

(And from the look of the bottle, he already has had a couple emergencies)

- Ron

#132106 - 05/06/08 04:19 PM Re: 37 year-old Mountain House freeze dried food [Re: Be_Prepared]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
That's great news for my stored food! I only considered it lasting 10 years at the max. Almost 40 years is incredible. I guess not only 70's fashion and hair is coming back but also the politics and the energy crisis.

The old adage "This too shall pass" should be amended to read: "...but this too will happen again". I guess its true that memory is the best tool for wisdom.

Cheers,
~Nemo

#132107 - 05/06/08 04:21 PM Re: 37 year-old Mountain House freeze dried food [Re: Loganenator]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
The bourbon looks like "wild turkey". Better for first aid than drinking in my opinion wink. Wild turkey is a sure headache.

#132138 - 05/06/08 09:32 PM Re: 37 year-old Mountain House freeze dried food [Re: Loganenator]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Nemo
The bourbon looks like "wild turkey". Better for first aid than drinking in my opinion wink. Wild turkey is a sure headache.

I hear rubbing alcohol is even better than wild turkey for first aid purposes. I don't mind helping fellow ETS'er out so how bout this. I'll trade you a bottle of rubbing alcohol for every bottle of "medical grade" wild turkey you got.

Edited by LED (05/06/08 09:32 PM)

#132151 - 05/07/08 12:59 AM Re: 37 year-old Mountain House freeze dried food [Re: LED]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
On the other hand, the food didn't taste any better than it did 37 years ago, either. I remember eating mountain house freeze-dried chicken and rice quite often in the early seventies-it was only marginally better than not eating-

#132160 - 05/07/08 02:18 AM Re: 37 year-old Mountain House freeze dried food [Re: nursemike]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I only like 3 or 4 things Mountain House makes, but those 4 taste good to me. Their stroganoff is great stuff. And the ice cream also is good. It’s just kinda high priced for the small portions you get. When hiking, I find I’m still hungry after a MH meal. Often I supplement it with some grocery store food. I would think in a high stress survival situation you may want more substance then a single MH meal provides.

But 37-years storage and still good is great, few things can measure up to that.

Now MREs don’t impress me that much. Yea you can live on them, but they lack good taste. And they are odd meals, these spicy things that don’t sit well.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#132414 - 05/09/08 10:19 AM Re: 37 year-old Mountain House freeze dried food [Re: BobS]
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
I hope 37 years later their QC is just as good. I've had their food and it is good but I can't imagine eating it two decades from now. Cans certainly are the way to store stuff. I had some 10 year old US military rations and the canned stuff was almost all good. As good as it was to start with anyway. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.