The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#135451 - 06/10/08 06:55 PM Re: Moving to a better place [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Yeah, that is the strategy I am pursuing. Seems the odds are better.

By the way, I am bugged in today because my access out to the west is crawling with fire, police, etc. as Stockton's finest knockdown a brush fire along Interstate 5 that spread into a condo complex and single family areas. From TV coverage it looks like some 4-6 8-unit condos and some 7-8 homes have been lost. This is all about 1/4 mile to my west and south.

My access to the east is doable but would require going through the evacuation center area set up in a large local church. I figure traffic is a mess there, too, and they don't need any more folks going to and fro. This is all about 1/4 mile or less to my east and south.

[Because I live along a slough there is no ingress or egress to the north.]

#135634 - 06/12/08 02:21 AM Re: Moving to a better place [Re: unimogbert]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I took my Master's off my resume in order to better the odds a bit. Since I am retired military I can "afford" to do something a little less "aggressive" income-wise. I do not in any way want this to be construed as "rubbing your face in it" because of my retirement income. The point is altering the resume to fit the situation.

I had a hard time getting over the feeling that not telling them I had an advanced degree was not a lie. It is just giving the necessary information to get the job. Over-qualified? Probably. Employed? Yup. Let the other experience you have slowly, if ever, creep out over time. You can present it as dabblings or experimenting with new and different things. It will show that you have the desire and ability to learn new things.

Just a few random thoughts and babblings.

2 cents.

#135698 - 06/12/08 03:20 PM Re: Moving to a better place [Re: dweste]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: dweste
Interesting. Based on my first time through the quiz:

snip...
Oklahoma City OK

Not one California suggestion!

I noticed an article on CNN a few weeks ago that ranked OKC as the #1 US city best suited to weather the resession. I noticed today that CNN is running a story today that says OKC was ranked last among 50 U.S. cities in a recent study on areas best able to cope with high oil prices.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/12/news/economy/cities_oil/index.htm?cnn=yes

Why can't they just admit that don't know anything? lol

#135787 - 06/12/08 10:13 PM Re: Moving to a better place [Re: 7point82]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
I can tell you that the housing bubble did not happen here. Wages are low compared to the coasts, but the cost of living is just about the cheapest around. Gas has yet to hit $4.00 a gallon.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 198 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.