Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#131856 - 05/02/08 12:23 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: KG2V]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
Speaking of FAKs - . . .I have a tendency to want at least SOME trauma "stuff" in the kit. Frankly, I'm NOT qualified to do c-collars, airways, BP and the like, so the high end EMT kits have stuff I DON'T need, but to get the stuff I WANT, I either have to add to an existing kit, or remove from a bigger kit. . .
Just remember: ABC - airway, breathing and circulation. . .
Both of my big kits (home and truck) have stuff in them I'm not qualified to use, but I have them anyway with the understanding that someone else on scene before the EMT's may be qualified but ill-equipped. It's the old trade-off of have it but not need it, or need it and not have it. I tend toward the former. The small kits I EDC (backpack & flight bag) are for small cuts and splinters -- NBD.

When a Navy command I was with started replacing stuff I snagged one of their hard cased FAK's and when I opened it all I found were large gauze and wraps for major injuries -- no band-aids at all. Small cuts you can fix with a band-aid aren't life threatening and are considered NBD; this kit was for bigger injuries.

#131861 - 05/02/08 01:12 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Russ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...someone else on scene before the EMT's may be qualified but ill-equipped..."

Happens all the time. I have had many a doctor stop at an accident scene with nothing but their knowledge on hand. But keep in mind that not all doctors are worth a damn as far as on-scene care goes. What you want is a paramedic or ER nurse, THEY know what they are doin'!!!

#131865 - 05/02/08 01:52 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: wildman800]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: wildman800
BTW, I carry vinyl gloves in my kit.

So do I. I suppose I could use nitrile, but vinyl is cheaper and they work fine. I have a big box of them that I use when handling any sort of chemicals around the house or in the garage since I have eczema on my hands and my skin is prone to reacting to chemicals. So I've used vinyl gloves a lot and find them satisfactory.

#131878 - 05/02/08 03:19 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Russ]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Being situational with your FAK is very important. My office FAK doesn't try to replicate the FAK on the wall in the kitchen on every floor of the building - its put up in the event of an earthquake, when most of our injuries will be from falling ceilings and beams, crush injuries, some puncture wounds, glass cuts, head abrasions etc. Mostly kerlix, ABD pads, triangle bandages, tape, nothing smaller than a 4x4 - but lots of all of these. EDIT: Oops, also nitrile gloves, maybe half a box. END EDIT I always toss in knuckle band aids, the do-it-all of the band aid world, but don't expect to use them much. I simply don't have enough of the things I'll really need to treat the more seriously wounded. Also 20 ea (and increasing) 99 cent rain ponchos, because no matter what we will all most likely be doing triage outside, and wet is a common affliction in the Pacific Northwest. No sense bandaging a wound if they'll die of shock / exposure in a couple hours.

My pertinent training is in triage, bandaging wounds, and clearing spinal injuries. If I can stick to that in an emergency I'll be a lucky man.

Edited by Lono (05/02/08 03:20 PM)

#131879 - 05/02/08 03:28 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...someone else on scene before the EMT's may be qualified but ill-equipped..."

Happens all the time. I have had many a doctor stop at an accident scene with nothing but their knowledge on hand. But keep in mind that not all doctors are worth a damn as far as on-scene care goes. What you want is a paramedic or ER nurse, THEY know what they are doin'!!!

Except that I spend probably 90% of my time in NYC, where the response time of "the big loud truck with the flashing lights" (aka either the local fire truck, or an Ambulance) is short enough that having c-collars, airways, BP cuffs etc is a bit redundant. How my tuck kit probably could use some of that stuff (and has trauma bandages, sam splints etc) for when I'm outside the city

This FAK discussion is making me realize it's time to check the truck kit for expired "stuff" and check my wife's kit
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#131905 - 05/02/08 11:13 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: KG2V]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
So, I decided today would be a GOOD day to update my FAK in the truck.

Tossed the old triple antibotic ointment, the old drugs, added new drugs, and new ointment, updated my collection of 4x4s, checked the batteries in the flashlight (dead, and I can't open the light - time to buy another one)

The list:
1 Curad Trauma Bandage
1 "Bloodstopper" Bandage
1 box "extra large" bandaids (ther are about 2-3 times the normal size
1 Box regular bandaids
1 tube oragel (new)
1 temp filling/cap cement (again new - never thought ot tooth problems before)
2 rolls 3" gauze
1 roll 2" gauze
6 4x4s
spray neosporin
4 benydril tablets
4 advil
1 roll first aid tape (cloth)
1 pair emt shears
1 pair nytrile gloves
one folding knife (buck 110)
1 dollar change
40 ft 550 cord
1 12"x12" shop rag
1 sharpie
small screwdriver (pocket clip type)

Believe it or not, it all fits in a 30 cal ammo can - barely, but it fits. If I have to add anything, something has to go. As ther are 4 other flashlights in the truck, that will probably go, the next after that is to wrap the 550 cord as a handle for the case, after THAT, the curad trauma bandage goes - it's HUGE, and I have the bloodstopper - that would allow me to add abd pads and/or Kotex

Also remember - I alway have my backpack first aid kit if I'm anywhere with the truck - and there are "other" items there. The 2 kits have a lot of duplication, but some unique items too, for instance, provo iodine is in the pack

Other places in the truck have stored water, bug spray, sunscreen etc

Edited by kc2ixe (05/02/08 11:15 PM)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#131945 - 05/03/08 01:20 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: Stu]
sotto Offline
Addict

I keep a clean old large bath towel in my truck at all times. Multiplicity of uses: cleaning up, sling, padding a splint, pillow, beach blanket, covering valuable objects to keep them out of view, easily ripped up if need be for wound dressing, headband, shade, etc.

#131954 - 05/03/08 05:02 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: sotto]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

[ot]

Just one question, what are the advantages and disadvantages of provo iodine prep pads compared to alcahol prep pads...Just wondering becasue the meager FAK that we have for our troop only has on type

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#131969 - 05/03/08 08:52 PM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: climberslacker]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Alcohol in a wound hurts like hell, povidone-iodine doesn't(-ish).

Furthermore, alcohol damages tissue much more than povidone-iodine if it get's into a wound, but alcohol has much less chance of allergic reactions.

Personally, I would go with the povidone-iodine, or even better: Hibicet (also called Savlon), which is a Chlorhexidine-digluconate / Cetrimide-solution.

#131977 - 05/04/08 01:10 AM Re: Go put more 4x4 gauze in your FAK. Do it now. [Re: climberslacker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: climberslacker
[ot]

Just one question, what are the advantages and disadvantages of provo iodine prep pads compared to alcahol prep pads...Just wondering becasue the meager FAK that we have for our troop only has on type

I wouldn't carry either. If someone's really bleeding, you're not going to be rubbing little 1" squares into the wound. They tend to dry out. Essentially, they're used to get dirt off the skin and sanitize (NOT sterilize) it prior to invasive procedures, like an IV.

Supposedly some folks like the P-I types for water purification purposes, but I don't know how much I'd trust that personally.

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.