Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#131864 - 05/02/08 01:38 PM Re: Small farm animals for small homes [Re: MoBOB]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
Oh cool. I'll keep geese in mind, definitely not something I had though of. I also have to keep in mind local ordinances; I'm out of the way but still in a township. So basically I have to get permits for certain animals from the township and there are limits as to what is and is not available. I'm not sure if geese are one of them.

As it is, we have a cat, a dog, and 9 chickens. The long term may involve a rooster. Right now though, I'm pretty sure that rooster would involve me giving up an element of my sanity so I'm holding off on that for now.

The goats will be next, along with a 'goat dog' - a great pyrenese. The geese definitely seem like a good choice though as a meat producer, so that's one to look at.

Thanks for the info guys smile
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#131900 - 05/02/08 08:49 PM Re: Small farm animals for small homes [Re: garland]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Consider spacesaving vertical gardening. Hog panels curved into an arch or an upside down V are sturdy and self-supporting.

Rabbits are a source of meat and are quiet.

Consider a greenhouse. The book Solviva by Anna Edy is in the library systems. Check out how she combined a greenhouse with chickens, rabbits, and barrels of water (solar collectors). I think chickens and rabbits give off something like 1000 BTUs of body heat per animal per day.

And if anyone ever wondered, no, you can't decrow roosters.

All the pygmy goats I've known were mean little suckers. And the mean ones live forever, so be sure to eat them first.

Sue

#132486 - 05/10/08 04:34 AM Re: Small farm animals for small homes [Re: Susan]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Another choice of guard fowl are Guinea Hens. You can often get close enough to bribe with treats or poison dogs. While harder it can even be done with geese. I have yet seen anyone or anything get that close to a Guinea without an alarm being given.

If you would like more info try.
http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/
http://members.aol.com/CELESTmich/guinea.html#DIET
http://poultryweb.tamu.edu/Extension%20publications/l-519.pdf

As for a generator go with a diesel. They last far longer than any other type of engine. Second the fuel is less volatile and is therefore safer for your storage needs.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#132494 - 05/10/08 12:15 PM Re: Small farm animals for small homes [Re: Raspy]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

A sheep or two don't need a lot of space and can provide meat, milk, and wool for various cold weather needs. I would think the Pyrenese would be helpful with the sheep, but I'm not sure I've ever known of goats needing a guard dog.

You don't have to be able to spin to use the wool - felting is super easy and can provide shoe/boot insoles, rugs, pillow and mattress stuffing or pads and bats of carded wool can be used in quilts. For those uses you don't need fine wool like a handspinner would use. You could chose a meat breed like Hampshire and still have a use for the wool.

#132548 - 05/11/08 03:18 AM Re: Small farm animals for small homes [Re: DFW]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

drove thru Chicago a week ago and someone had goats by
their shack--and i mean shack--next to the freeway on the
south side of the city..looks like some people are way
ahead on the "small animals" for dinner issue

#132577 - 05/11/08 02:51 PM Re: Small farm animals for small homes [Re: CANOEDOGS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I once arrested a guy for an unrelated crime, and found one bedroom in their house had been filled with dirt. They had about five goats living in it. VERY intersting odors in that place! This was in a nicer section of a fairly nice city...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.