Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#134204 - 05/30/08 08:20 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Dan_McI]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I'm thinking it might just be a bit more awareness. Between rising gas and food prices, and articles like CNN mentioning rice shortages, maybe people are starting to get just a touch more worried about the "what-ifs." It might not even be "survival" so juch as it is "I can afford it now." Which, admittedly, is economic survival.

Speaking of food shortages, I was reading today that the US only has about 2 weeks worth of wheat on hand at any given time. Where did I read this? In a pizzaria, one of the trade magazines! Yes, they have periodicals specifically for pizza.

#134208 - 05/30/08 09:00 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: MDinana]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
US only has about 2 weeks worth of wheat on hand at any given time.

Wheat or flour? Wheat crops aren't harvested every two weeks year round, so some HAS to be stored somewhere.

That just doesn't make sense to me.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#134213 - 05/30/08 09:28 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Dan_McI]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
I think Mike_H is right in that many today don't teach children enough lessons in morality, but that may be because many today do not believe as much that certain things are simply right or wrong. If I go any further I'm into a political discussion about moral relativism and the so-called cultural wars, so I'll stop.

JeanetteIsabelle is also right on. However, I think many do not teach their children how to do lots of things today. I've got a friend who is pretty capable as far as fixing and creating thigns. He was licensed as a shipboard engineer, worked as one and as a mechanical contractor, so has can do welding, plumbing and a number of other skills. but he continually refers to his own sons (4 of them) as "useless" when it comes to yard work, such as raking or cutting his lawn. I know that by the time I was the age of his two oldest, I was out cutting neighbors lawns for money, and I learned from my father. If his sons do not know, then isn't that probably because he did not teach them?

I think there is also something in there about a changing set of what we expect our children to be able to do. For example, my friend's father expected mroe from my friend, than my friend expects from his sons.

To put this in perspective, I'm now twenty-two-years-old, not much older than today's kids. In 1994 I was eight-years-old, doing the laundry and basic cooking. At that time my sisters and I were living with our grandmother and I know that played a big role.

I would not be so quick to dismiss this generation with "Well, with TV, video games and the Internet, it's a loosing battle."

Jeanette Isabelle

#134309 - 05/31/08 09:06 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I would not be so quick to dismiss this generation with "Well, with TV, video games and the Internet, it's a loosing battle."

If I'm dismissing anyone, it's not the kids. When parents complain about the kids and say things like that, then I normally think that it's the parents not putting in the effort to lead their kids to meet different expectations.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.