Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#131570 - 04/30/08 12:53 PM Re: Southern Colorado Water Woe's [Re: big_al]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, the answer is not simply yes or no, but depending.

Assuming you've applied the chemical as directed and at the proper dilutions, and allowed enough reaction time for it to stabilize in the water, then the treated water ought to be not much worse than some public water supplies as far as amount of residual chlorine. You have to consider that this chemical specifically is intended as a disinfectant, much the same as municipal water treating system applications do, so it does little for any existing chemical contamination, such as detergents, petroleum products, pesticides etc that may have also contaminated the pool water.

Assuming nothing else has adulterated the pool as mentioned, then incidental consumption should not be a health concern. By incidental, I mean to say that you could probably drink a quart of the treated pool water in a day and not notice any ill effects whatsoever, especially if you boil it, as you will cook off some of the chemical in the process. I wouldn't rely on pool water as a constant consumptive supply, but mostly due to the fact that the water is not under controlled conditions (an open, stagnant water source). You could continue to use it as a non-potable source, for washing clothes, running the toilets, maybe even bathing in if you are careful.

The water we used in Baghdad had to be so heavily chlorinated that we weren't allowed to drink it, but we could bath in it so long as we avoided consumption. No one ever seemed to suffer any ill effects from it. You could definitely smell the chlorine. All the water we drank was bottled.

My guess is that if you boiled a gallon of fresh pool water for about 20 minutes, you'll have cooked off enough chlorine that it should resemble tap water. Bear in mind that other chemical agents added to water, such as clarifiers, ph adjusters, anti foaming agents, will not cook off so easily, and if you are adding such treatments you need to take that into account as well.

I've swallowed enough pool water in my days and never noticed any ill effects. I don't make a habit of it, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

#131694 - 05/01/08 01:20 AM Re: Southern Colorado Water Woe's [Re: benjammin]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

I hate to say this, but there is less Clorine in my pool than in my tap water, as per test with a clorine test kit. My pool is within the required standards for pools. Thanks for all the help

smile

#131716 - 05/01/08 02:48 AM Re: Southern Colorado Water Woe's [Re: big_al]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I'll bet you're living near the treatment plant.

#131819 - 05/02/08 12:50 AM Re: Southern Colorado Water Woe's [Re: UTAlumnus]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Nope the nearest plant is 15 miles away.

#131821 - 05/02/08 01:24 AM Re: Southern Colorado Water Woe's [Re: big_al]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Strange. Too much chlorine is usually because of the residual they have to have at the farthest tap. Or maybe being at a local high point. If I see the professor for water transport tomorrow I'll see what else can cause it.

edit:
I've got the same problem.

Edited by UTAlumnus (05/02/08 01:25 AM)

#131852 - 05/02/08 11:47 AM Re: Southern Colorado Water Woe's [Re: UTAlumnus]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Most likely the supply system analysis yielded a lower than acceptable level of chlorine at some point ahead of his tap, and an injector was added to the line. We have a few of those here on some of the suspicious longer runs.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.