Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#131405 - 04/29/08 01:54 AM A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

I have this great little bowie knife. It's made out of AUS-8A stainless steel and it stays inside a Kydex sheath. The knife is probably never going to rust out on me unless I drop it into the ocean, and the sheath is virtually indestructable. It even has a pouch on the front containing a diamond wetstone, so that I can keep it sharp no matter where I go. The only problem, as far as I can see, is that the knife is simply too damned SHINY, it shines like a mirror, and that is simply BAD NEWS as far as I'm concerned.

I was thinking about treating the knife with primer and then coating it with some kind of weatherproof paint, but then I quickly gave up on that idea.

Does anyone have an idea on how to turn a shiny knife into a dull knife without ruining the temper of the steel ? LW.

#131408 - 04/29/08 02:01 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
How about taking the shine off by sanding or sandblasting the surface? Rec Applegate suggested in one WWII era pamphlet that a shiny blade was more terrifying t an opponent than a blued blade, maybe the shine is a virtue. And even stainless steel can rust if you abuse it enough-try coating the blade with mayonnaise and letting it sit foor a day or two-this was the recommended methode for bluing green river knife replicas sold by Connecticut Valley Arms many years ago-

#131411 - 04/29/08 02:18 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: nursemike]
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

"Rec Applegate suggested in one WWII era pamphlet that a shiny blade was more terrifying t an opponent than a blued blade."

I don't think of a knife as a weapon. The knife, to me, is a tool for chopping wood and for making trap triggers, etc. I would consider using my knife to fabricate a weapon such as a bow and arrow, but when it comes to actually using the knife as a weapon, that's simply a "no-no" as far I'm concerned.

Sand blasting sounds a little bit harsh. I'm wondering if bead blasting would be a better method of eliminating the shine.

Coating the blade with a fast-food condiment sounds like an excellent idea. It's the kind of idea that I might be willing to try, but does it work ? I don't see how it can do any harm ...

I like the idea of trying out a low-cost procedure that won't do any harm but which might possibly do some good. LW.

#131416 - 04/29/08 02:44 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Mayo works because it's acidic...technically any acid could work...ketchup, lemon juice, etc.

#131419 - 04/29/08 02:45 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I have some scotch bright pads (brown color) made for metal work. They will scratch stainless steel. I have no idea how plastic does this, but it does. It doesn’t seem to have any ground up stones impregnated into it, just plastic. But anyway it will make stainless look all scratched up similar to sandblasting only less harsh on the metal. If you can find some of these pads you could easily & quickly take the shine off it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#131420 - 04/29/08 02:50 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tacti [Re: BobS]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Agree with BobS. Scotchbrite will give you a nice satin finish.

If memory serves, brown is pretty coarse, I might try and fine something finer.

YMMV

#131421 - 04/29/08 02:52 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: BobS]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

I take the ones I want to be a flat color to a gun shop and have it parkerized, it will turn out a dark gray to a black color depending on the steel.

#131425 - 04/29/08 04:09 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
goon Offline

I can't speak for others but I don't think the shine would bother me in the least. It could possibly even double as a signaling device if it truly is that reflective.
I'm not planning to fight any ninjas or sneak up on a deer armed with only my knife so as long as it doesn't rust, I wouldn't be worried about it.

Then again, I always have been far too clumsy to be tactical.

I have done the condiment treatment with carbon steel but I've never tried it with stainless. With the carbon steel though, I left a mixture of ketchup, mustard, and salt on the blade overnight. It wound up drying and when I cleaned the mixture off in the AM, I found a lot of surface rust. That came off easily enough and underneath was a somewhat case-hardened looking finish. It still had more shine than I liked so I treated it again. Although I never did make anything with that blade, it did wind up having a nice flat patina look.

Edited by goon (04/29/08 04:12 AM)

#131426 - 04/29/08 04:32 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: goon]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I never did understand how 'tactical knife' entered the vocabulary of knife sellers. I guess somebody was reading a Soldier of Misfortune magazine and realised paracord handles and the word tactical would sell more knives to graveyard shift security guards beating themselves to death with numchucks. Tell us exactly why you hate shiny blades? If it's just aesthetics I would suggest adding one more item to your kit- sunglasses.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (04/29/08 04:33 AM)

#131429 - 04/29/08 06:39 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
Pansy Offline
Stranger

Loc: Missouri
I agree, if you are never going to use the knife as a weapon what is the point of subduing shine?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.