Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#131486 - 04/29/08 05:21 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: ]
Hookpunch Offline

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

That being said I can see it being desirable to be low key even in the civilian world. I carry at least one knife everywhere I go...sometimes it's a sizable one. .

You know I am of the opposite opinion, a bright orange or yellow handled knife kind of says it is a tool not a weapon, so I tend to carry those knives EDC.

Kind of reverse psychology, you look more like a boy scout than a ninja wannabe.

#131487 - 04/29/08 05:22 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: Taurus]
sodak Offline
Addict

Bluing or parkerizing will be your best bet, stainless doesn't etch too well. As you can tell, a lot of people don't like coated blades. I do. I love having the rust protection. Since it's your knife, good luck, whatever mod you choose, more power to you, post a pic when you are done. And no, you don't have to justify your choice, it's your knife!

#131488 - 04/29/08 05:27 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: Hookpunch]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Hookpunch
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

That being said I can see it being desirable to be low key even in the civilian world. I carry at least one knife everywhere I go...sometimes it's a sizable one. .

You know I am of the opposite opinion, a bright orange or yellow handled knife kind of says it is a tool not a weapon, so I tend to carry those knives EDC.

Kind of reverse psychology, you look more like a boy scout than a ninja wannabe.

Good point. Had the my favories come in Orange when I bought them, I'd wouldn't have gone with black...but tacticool sells so not many manufacturers go with orange these days.

#131499 - 04/29/08 06:17 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Can anyone actually document an instance where a regular shiny blade "gave away" a tactical persons position in real life?

During the battle for Mt Tumbledown in the Falkland Islands in 1982 the Scots Guards assualted the Elite Argentinian 5th Marine Infantry Battalion forces dug in on the top of the mountain using a 'Silent Assault' during night time with fixed bayonets whilst a diversionary attack was in progress. I'm pretty sure that their bayonets would have been subdued rather than being shiny as a precaution. Seven Guardsmen and one Royal Engineer were killed in that assault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNsr77oi9C0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE7uDG8tyaI&feature=related

#131523 - 04/29/08 08:29 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I would rather have a dull surface on my knife. For tactical work I don’t want my steak to see me coming at it with the knife. But then I guess I should take the shine off my fork also…

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#131524 - 04/29/08 08:30 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: BobS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: BobS
I would rather have a dull surface on my knife. For tactical work I don&#146;t want my steak to see me coming at it with the knife. But then I guess I should take the shine off my fork also&#133;

Just get a plastic fork. If your fork squeeks on the plate the potatoes might get tipped off and make a break for it!

#131557 - 04/30/08 02:49 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well guys, it's fine to have a good laugh; but there's no reason to beat up on BigCityHillbilly.

(Aside: I tend to agree that "tactical!" too often equates with "bone-head marketing!" But there's nothing wrong with being visually discreet in wild country, or urban country.)

Anyway, FWIW:

I've found that blades that were mirror-shiny in the store quickly lose that lustre after hard use in the field. I don't like scuffing them with abrasives; that just makes them harder to clean, since there is now more surface area for the crud to weld itself on to. Which it surely will.

So, you can take it on a hard-core tour of duty...

... or, frankly, if you want to break in a new blade ... use it hard in the kitchen. You will have to sharpen it frequently, chop through bones and veggies (all acidic), withstand soaking in the sink and blasting in the dishwasher ... all of which is healthy abuse.

Plus: your DW or significant other will realize that you will take the lead on dinner for a week or so, since you are testing out your newest blade. So, every time you bring home a new blade, your pennance will be ... edible!

Okay, maybe this isn't macho enough for the rest of you, but I assure you it's a fine way to accumulate points. Which you will flare off somewhere else, no doubt.

At least your blades won't be shiny any more.

Cheers all,
Doug

Edited by dougwalkabout (04/30/08 02:53 AM)

#131559 - 04/30/08 03:56 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: dougwalkabout]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It all makes sense to me,,,,and I agree with you Doug!!!

#131566 - 04/30/08 11:56 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: Taurus]
NAro Offline
Addict

Quote:
So why was the knife outside the sheath as you tried to sneak past her? (lol)

Taurus, you mean you're not supposed to carry tactical knives in your teeth? [all those years of sliced lips....wasted]

#131572 - 04/30/08 01:24 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tacti [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

During the battle for Mt Tumbledown in the Falkland Islands in 1982 the Scots Guards assualted the Elite Argentinian 5th Marine Infantry Battalion forces dug in on the top of the mountain using a 'Silent Assault' during night time with fixed bayonets whilst a diversionary attack was in progress. I'm pretty sure that their bayonets would have been subdued rather than being shiny as a precaution. Seven Guardsmen and one Royal Engineer were killed in that assault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNsr77oi9C0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE7uDG8tyaI&feature=related

Great videos, but neither one mentions anything about a fixed blade silent assault. What they say, is that during a firefight, some of the Scots Guard "stormed" the Argentine positions.

And that doesn't really address the question of documenting where a shiny blade gave away someone.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.