Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#131431 - 04/29/08 10:45 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: Pansy]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Can anyone actually document an instance where a regular shiny blade "gave away" a tactical persons position in real life?

#131432 - 04/29/08 10:49 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Why does my knife need to be tactical?

#131435 - 04/29/08 11:52 AM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tacti [Re: big_al]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
AUS 8 won't take the phosphate solution. Scotchbrite sounds like the best option.

#131442 - 04/29/08 12:57 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tacti [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Don't see the problem with a shiny knife unless you are a snooper.

Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp
Can anyone actually document an instance where a regular shiny blade "gave away" a tactical persons position in real life?

Wouldn't such a "give away" event preclude its reporting?

#131445 - 04/29/08 01:05 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tacti [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Don't see the problem with a shiny knife unless you are a snooper.

Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Wouldn't such a "give away" event preclude its reporting?

Only if it led to everyone there being killed before it could be reported.

I was curious to see if anyone had any documented instances of it, because from all the reading on military knives out there, you never see any mention of it.

Always sorta seemed like merchandising hype.

Edited by Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp (04/29/08 01:10 PM)

#131451 - 04/29/08 01:48 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tacti [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Oh boy.

I tease my friends all the time with this one. I have been involved in plenty of sketchy operations in my time, some were providing assistance to some very "special" troops and I nor any of them ever felt the need to have a tactical blade. I have friends that will pay top bucks for so called tactical blades that break at the first real world use.

I think the black coatings were originally used as anti-corrosion measures as older knives were prone to rust. The then became a marketing scam to get civilians to buy Army surplus.

When the 25mm Bushmaster runs dry of ammo in combat I will switch to the co-axial or the GPMG.
After my GPMG runs dry I will switch to my rifle. When those 10 mags are gone I will switch to the 870 in the sentry hatch, and then my grenades. Following that it will be my side arm, followed by Para flares, pen flares or anything else that shoots. If still in the fight I will attach my bayonet to my rifle and swing like a madman till it breaks. Then, assuming I cannot find any thing longer than my knife I may consider throwing my helmet, handfull's of rocks, my keys and shining my flashlight at the guy. Then I may use my knife as a weapon......By now I am sure the enemy knows where I am, and a shiny blade is the least of my worries.

But, For those who insist on black blades you may want to consider cold or hot rifle bluing. The latter may require removing the handle and then baking the knife in the oven to make it really stick to the blade. Depending on the type of blade steel, these bluings work really well.

Eventually with any hard use, all finishes wear off and need to be re-applied though.

#131465 - 04/29/08 02:34 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: NightHiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

One point which (I think) hasn't been brought up yet about using blacked out tactical knives is that if it's hard to see by your 'enemy', then it's hard to see by you too.

3 of my favorite knives are coated/plated/whatever and are black and/or very dark (not one of the reasons I bought them though they do look cool so that may have influenced my macho-ness subconciously). All of those knives have a bright yellow/reflective wrist cord or handle wrap because no matter how careful you are you're going to drop it or set it down sooner or later and if it's pitch black out, it might not matter how bright your light is. If I had to find my LMF II in the bush after dropping it in fall leaves, I could be looking a LONG time and likely wouldn't find it until I cut myself on it.

That being said I can see it being desirable to be low key even in the civilian world. I carry at least one knife everywhere I go...sometimes it's a sizable one. If I need to pull it out, the fewer people who notice, the better...I don't want people's eyes drawn to why I've whipped it out as I could be doing something as simple as cutting rope but perception is 9/10th of the law and a simple task to me could be psychopathic tendancies to those around me who don't know me. In this day and age of paranoia, that's the only enemy I'm worried about.

#131477 - 04/29/08 03:51 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: ]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
If I'm in a situation where I'm in a knife fight, the jig is up already, shiny blade or not.

I use my knife for Bushcraft, otherwise it's in the sheath.

Before I'd even worry about my knife being spotted I would suspect my large frame would give me away to anyone who was looking.

#131480 - 04/29/08 04:12 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: Nicodemus]
NAro Offline
Addict

Quote:

Yep. I was on a mission I can't discuss.... had to get past a sentry... and my Randall Model 15 flashed in the dark giving me away.

[O.K., actually I was trying to sneak it from the knife store and into the house past my wife. BUT I didn't lie about the flash giving me away!!]

#131484 - 04/29/08 05:10 PM Re: A shiny knife, no matter how good, is un-tactical [Re: NAro]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Quote:
[O.K., actually I was trying to sneak it from the knife store and into the house past my wife. BUT I didn't lie about the flash giving me away!!]

So why was the knife outside the sheath as you tried to sneak past her? (lol)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.