The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#131452 - 04/29/08 01:57 PM Multi-tool thread#546456
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Hi. This is my first post around here, though I've been visiting for a while. I am a college student from Israel and I found ETS in my emergency preparedness research.

One of the things I learned (or got the impression of being true) from Doug's musings, is that no BoB is complete without a multi-tool. Having a Victorinox Atlas backing up my multi-tool wing, I feel I can compromise somewhat. If not on quality (never!!!), then at least size.

After some extensive Googling and harrassement of store clerks, here are my alternatives:

Leatherman Kick:

+ Feels Godly in hand, long philips, non-locking blades make it legal for every-day carry in Israel (yep, we're that kind of place)

- Lacks saw, scissors.

Leatherman Wave:

+ Almost as small as the Kick, highly recommended by all.

- Lacks metal saw, as far as I know.

Gerber Legend 800:

+ Has all the tools I need, feels absolutely indestructible.

- Slightly oversized, not a Leatherman.

Help!
Which multi-tool should I choose?
Multiple choices allowed

Votes accepted starting: 04/29/08 01:56 PM
View the results of this poll.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#131453 - 04/29/08 02:00 PM Re: Multi-tool thread#546456 [Re: Rodion]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!!!

I guess I should have mentioned my Leatherman Wave, which I EDC and use a jillion time a day...

Edited by OldBaldGuy (04/30/08 01:25 AM)
Edit Reason: Oops

#131455 - 04/29/08 02:05 PM Re: Multi-tool thread#546456 [Re: OldBaldGuy]
steelie Offline
Stranger

i don't go anywhere without my charge TTi

#131456 - 04/29/08 02:08 PM Re: Multi-tool thread#546456 [Re: Rodion]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome newguy! I carry a Leatherman Kick at work every day and a Leatherman Wave everywhere else. I use the Kick at work as its cheaper and I use it to cut tubing and repair equipment that is coated in crude oil and assorted nasty chemicals. I wish the Kick had a scissors but the knife blade handles most cutting jobs I encounter.

The Wave has a lot more options and I think the new ones have a diamond-coated file. That would work as a very slow metal saw, wouldn't it? I love it's one-handed-opening blades and seemingly endless supply of tools. I don't use it at work as I want to keep it "food safe" and so uncontaminated.

Really, if you are only getting one, I say get the Wave.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#131461 - 04/29/08 02:23 PM Re: Multi-tool thread#546456 [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'm not a fan of the Gerber Legend but I carry a Gerber Diesel any time I leave the Swiss Army Knife at home...i've yet to hold a more solid feeling multi-tool and the one hand opening beats 'flicking' a Leatherman IMO any day.

#131462 - 04/29/08 02:24 PM Re: Multi-tool thread#546456 [Re: Rodion]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Newguy, Welcome.

I was trying to decide last fall between the Leatherman WAVE and TTi. I went with the TTi but after using it for a while I have concluded that the WAVE would have done the job just fine and it was $40.00 cheaper.

Buy the WAVE, you will not be disappointed.

Mike

#131464 - 04/29/08 02:31 PM Re: Multi-tool thread#546456 [Re: SwampDonkey]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
I see.

Charge has excellent features and acclaims, but I hated it in person.

About the Wave... I have an option to get the old one. Were those still made in USA?

www.kravmagafederation.com

#131473 - 04/29/08 03:27 PM Re: Multi-tool thread#546456 [Re: Rodion]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

As far as I can tell on the Leatherman website, all tools are made in Portland Oregon, USA http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/default.asp

I have an original WAVE from 1999, I like the new model WAVE (2004) better because of the interchangeable driver bits and stronger blades. Doug Ritter did a comparison in the Shot Show Review of of 2004, http://www.equipped.org/shot_show_2004_knives.htm .

Mike

#131475 - 04/29/08 03:35 PM Re: Multi-tool thread#546456 [Re: NightHiker]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I recently upgraded from a S.O.G power lock to a Leatherman Surge. The S.O.G was a great tool, but the opening of the blades and the tiny size of them made it unpractical for my job. So I put the issued S.O.G away and bought a Surge.

OH man I love this tool. Basically, it is a bigger version of a wave with a few add-ons. The one handed opening blades are so easy to use, plus the fact that they are as large as normal folding knife blades was the big seller. I no longer EDC a folder with a multi-tool because the Surge blades are strong and large enough to handle just about any job I can imagine.

I put my multi-tool through more punishment during a normal work day than most people may, simply because of what I do, so I would reccomend A surge OR a wave for most purposes. They are tough b******s as far as multi-tools are concerned.

#131489 - 04/29/08 05:28 PM Re: Multi-tool thread#546456 [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Taurus
I recently upgraded from a S.O.G power lock to a Leatherman Surge. The S.O.G was a great tool, but the opening of the blades and the tiny size of them made it unpractical for my job. So I put the issued S.O.G away and bought a Surge.

OH man I love this tool. Basically, it is a bigger version of a wave with a few add-ons. The one handed opening blades are so easy to use, plus the fact that they are as large as normal folding knife blades was the big seller. I no longer EDC a folder with a multi-tool because the Surge blades are strong and large enough to handle just about any job I can imagine.

I put my multi-tool through more punishment during a normal work day than most people may, simply because of what I do, so I would reccomend A surge OR a wave for most purposes. They are tough b******s as far as multi-tools are concerned.

Are the new SOGs out yet? They have the power assist pliers and both blades are one hand open with SOGs own assisted opening mechanism. They looks super slick but nobody carries them so even if they were on the market I doubt I could find one to try.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Doug_Ritter), 176 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by brandtb
41 minutes 55 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.