Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#131351 - 04/28/08 01:05 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: BobS]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Taurus does make a 6" 8 shot revolver which is probably available in Brazil as a .38 Spl rather than .357 Mag.
MODEL 608 .357 MAG. REVOLVER

Since you only get one, make sure you can shoot it well before making your choice. I love shooting S&W N-frame guns in .38 Spl.

S&W makes the Model 627 which is also and 8 shot revolver.

#131352 - 04/28/08 01:06 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: Fabio]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with either of those shotguns. Are you able to swap barrels so that you can have a long barrel for Trap and Skeet and a short barrel for use at home?

I have three Remington 870 shotguns (pump action), one for home with a 20" barrel, a second for Trap with a 30" barrel and then Skeet by putting on a 26" barrel. The different barrel lengths change the way the shotgun swings and points. Long barrels don't do well inside with walls interfering with carrying the shotgun ready. Short barrels don't work well shooting clay birds. Being able to easily change barrel lengths is a very nice thing when you can only own one shotgun.

I noticed a lot of those shotguns come in pistol grip only format. I recommend a full stock, it makes for a much better platform. The full stock is not as compact, but it's much easier to point and shoot.

#131367 - 04/28/08 06:26 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: Russ]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Don't .357 Mag revolvers also chamber .38 spl? Or is that only some that are actually made to do that? That would give you the freedom to shoot either (as well as a lower cost round to practice with).

#131370 - 04/28/08 06:30 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: Nishnabotna]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Nishnabotna
Don't .357 Mag revolvers also chamber .38 spl?
Yes, but I think the issue is that Brazil's laws do not allow anything more powerful than a 38. Chances are it's not allowable to buy a 357 on the promise that you'll only load it with 38's.

#131371 - 04/28/08 06:31 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: Nishnabotna]
Russ Offline
Geezer

In Brazil he is limited to .38 Spl by law.

#131373 - 04/28/08 06:35 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: Russ]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
OK, missed that.

#131386 - 04/28/08 10:35 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: AyersTG]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...ever seeing a pump gun jam..."

I have seen a lot of Rem 870's jammed by short stroking, usually officers of smaller stature when firing 00buck rapidly. It is an easy jam to clear tho...

#131397 - 04/29/08 12:29 AM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: OldBaldGuy]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I bet you have seen that at the CHP ranges - lots of troopers over the years, eh?

I've seen some folks short-stroke a pump gun <click>, but not jam it. Newbies on doubles after they miss a few and get excited/in a hurry for the second clay bird. Mind you, I'm not claiming they cannot be jammed; just that I have not seen it happen. IMHO it is easier to jam a non-plunger ejector bolt gun with a short or lazy stroke than a pump shotgun. But I digress...

I really don't have anything against a double barrel for Fabio to consider. But a GOOD double is expensive (and not an option for him). And those Boitos are heavy - at least the two samples I have used. I sure like how they point and swing and the barrels are regulated quite well in terms of the bead and each other. At the range, I like the fact that they have extractors rather than ejectors. Hunting or defense - I would prefer ejectors. Not that it has been an issue when I've taken mine hunting; just a preference.

If he gets a double, I suggest carefully checking headspace on both barrels (make SURE the rim counterbore is not too deep), check firing pin protrusion on both barrels (make SURE one is not too shallow), and learn how to fix it if it goes sour. Ask me how I know...

No idea of the design/build quality of the pump guns available to him. There are very good quality guns built there these days - Taurus, of course, and perhaps some of the Rossi line. It's possible that has rubbed off on Boito - again, no idea of the CBC.

In the end, it's up to him to choose something reliable that he likes. Even a single shot 12 gauge is very effective and practice with rapid reloading gets surprising results in the field (forget skeet doubles <grin>).

Best regards,

Tom

#131441 - 04/29/08 12:53 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: AyersTG]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...short-stroke a pump gun <click>, but not jam it..."

What happens is that a round trys to feed from the mag, but gets jammed under the partially closed block. The fired round is usually ejected just prior. To clear the jam, you depress the action bar release with the strong hand, grasp the forearm with the the weak hand, and strike the butt against the ground (or any hard surface) HARD. That will eject the jammed round out the bottom, you then push the forearm forward and you are good to go. It can sometimes damage the follower, so don't try this at home (unless it is a real emergency)...

#131444 - 04/29/08 01:04 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: BobS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Actually, they make some seven and eight round .38spl and .357 mags, and a nine shot 5mm (???) revolver...

Taurus eight shooter

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.