Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#131344 - 04/28/08 12:35 PM Collecting AC condenser water
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Anyone here collect the water from their ac unit? The amount of water mine condenses out here in humid Houston is amazing. I want to try and reclaim the water rather than send it down the drain.

Any thoughts?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#131345 - 04/28/08 12:44 PM Re: Collecting AC condenser water [Re: Blast]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I would collect it and use it much like grey water, watering plants etc. The condenser coils collect a significant amount of dirt, pollen, and potentially fungus so without treatment, I wouldn't count on drinking it.

Bill

#131346 - 04/28/08 12:58 PM Re: Collecting AC condenser water [Re: williamlatham]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Bill,

Good point. My main interest is to use it on my garden. The water comes out at 50F, so I'll need some sort of warming tank. Hmmm, I wish I could set up a nice, decorative tank in the living room so that we could use the coolness of the water to cool our house.

*sigh* Our house would be very different if DW gave me free reign to do as I wished...

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#131353 - 04/28/08 01:07 PM Re: Collecting AC condenser water [Re: Blast]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

I understand that one. Since you probably run the AC a fair amount, why not plumb the condenser outlet into a black hose laying on the surface of the ground or directly into a soaker hose. It should heat up fairly quickly and if it gets too hot, bury it.

Bill

#131354 - 04/28/08 02:14 PM Re: Collecting AC condenser water [Re: williamlatham]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
I ran a PVC line from my AC runoff so it would slowly drip into my garden, worked great. I never had to water my garden.

I set it up, so it would drip into a small bowl set right in the middle of my garden, and set some rocks in the bowl that would stick up out of the water. That made a small "pond" to attract beneficial insects, and the water would run over the top of the bowl and soak into the ground and spread through the garden.

One thing my heating and AC guy told me though, if you use a central air unit like me, where the runoff comes out of a pipe in your foundation, NEVER use a system that can allow that to back up and overflow if your line becomes blocked.

I avoided that by rigging the pvc line to "catch" the drip from the AC and divert it, but did not directly attach it to the pipe.

Edited by Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp (04/28/08 02:17 PM)

#131363 - 04/28/08 06:04 PM Re: Collecting AC condenser water [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Um, I'd be really worried about Legionaire's Disease. After all, it was "discovered" in Philadelphia, from the A/c units.

If you do it at all, I'd at least filter it.

#131378 - 04/28/08 07:43 PM Re: Collecting AC condenser water [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Wow, scary. frown Maybe I'll just keep sending the 80+ gallons of water down the drain each day... It seems like such a waste.

-Blast

#131393 - 04/28/08 11:44 PM Re: Collecting AC condenser water [Re: Blast]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Legionella was a problem to the Legionnaires because the HVAC system was spraying bacteria laden droplets upon them for days on end; the ones that got bad sick from it were the ones with compromised immune systems. Transmission is by aerosol distribution and inhalation. Run the outflow directly into the earth via seep hoses, and there will be no aerosol problem. The other bugs are scary, but, again, if you put the condensate directly into the soil, all those scary pathogens will merely be joining others like them-clostridia varieties come to mind-tetanus and gas gangrene bugs-that are already living happily, and safely, pretty much-in the soil. All of the bacteria that cause infection in humans are around us in the environment all the time, colonizing our skin, saliva, telephones, computer keyboards-and our immune system fights them off handily. Infection occurs when there is a breakdown in the immune system-a break in the skin, nutritional deficiency, other disease. Anyway, the condensate is probably no more dangerous than any other water in the garden.

#131395 - 04/28/08 11:51 PM Re: Collecting AC condenser water [Re: nursemike]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: nursemike
Legionella was a problem to the Legionnaires because the HVAC system was spraying bacteria laden droplets upon them for days on end; the ones that got bad sick from it were the ones with compromised immune systems. Transmission is by aerosol distribution and inhalation. Run the outflow directly into the earth via seep hoses, and there will be no aerosol problem. The other bugs are scary, but, again, if you put the condensate directly into the soil, all those scary pathogens will merely be joining others like them-clostridia varieties come to mind-tetanus and gas gangrene bugs-that are already living happily, and safely, pretty much-in the soil. All of the bacteria that cause infection in humans are around us in the environment all the time, colonizing our skin, saliva, telephones, computer keyboards-and our immune system fights them off handily. Infection occurs when there is a breakdown in the immune system-a break in the skin, nutritional deficiency, other disease. Anyway, the condensate is probably no more dangerous than any other water in the garden.

What he said. As long as the runoff is going into the ground to water plants, it is not dangerous at all.

#131437 - 04/29/08 12:34 PM Re: Collecting AC condenser water [Re: ]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

You don't need straight bleach to sanitize anything. Bleach mixed with hot water will work fine. In fact, that is what comes out of the washer every time you do a white load and is emptied into PVC drain lines.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.