The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#134024 - 05/29/08 11:09 AM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: katarin]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Thanks re the cat. I must think of him now as just another animal, with whatever feelings I have as mostly projection. He will land on his feet and charm a new person into giving him the food, shelter, and companionship to which he has become accustomed. Anything else too hard.

#134116 - 05/29/08 11:58 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
As someone who has lived in rags and riches, I feel I am qualified to address this. The hard part is putting it in the right words. There is a difference between being broke and living with a poverty mindset. Being broke simply means you have no money. It alone does not change a person's way of thinking. I would say I probably handled myself well when the chips were down and I have seen others who have conducted themselves like upstanding citizens even when popular opinion says the poor should live like white trash. It takes a disciplined mindset to look rich even when you're not and I don't mean living beyond ones means. People like that have a shine on their shoes, their hair in place and, if they have a car, it does not look like a trashcan on wheels. It is that kind of people, not the ones who wallow in poverty, who manage to get back up.

Jeanette Isabelle

#134130 - 05/30/08 02:16 AM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, coach. It is going to be a challenging transition, but I am ready to play!

#134151 - 05/30/08 11:20 AM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We got to see a forclosed house yesterday, two of them actually. Realtor opened the door and walked in the first one and before I stepped in the door I said "look al the mold" and then she noticed the mold everywhere. I could see a collasped ceiling in one of the back rooms, my guess is someone turned the water on upstairs before they left and just let it flood.
Second one was nice and didn't need much work but there were already bids on it so we passed.

#134317 - 05/31/08 09:49 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: Eugene]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sold the boat with lots of gear to a young family guy just out of the military; gave him one heck of a deal. Freed up room to maneuver in the garage. The seller's remorse is just going to have to take a back set to current needs and reality.

Sold the cast aluminum lawn furniture to my new next-door neighbors. They are very nice and I am glad they will enjoy the furniture. Another great deal on some quality stuff.

Sold a bunch of yard tools to my brother.

Now I need to sell a bunch of mostly teak home and office furnishings.

I forsee a massive load for Goodwill.

Now I need to fully equip my vehicle for "car camping," in case I cannot find a new place to hang my hat soon.

So, progress - or a least movement.

#134332 - 05/31/08 11:44 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...to fully equip my vehicle for "car camping..."

I don't know what you drive, but if it is capable of pulling a small trailer, you can find some outstanding deals on used travel trailers in the 16-20 ft range. Lot more comfortable than sleeping in the backseat of a VW bug, and you won't have to pack a stove, water, etc, etc etc, that will all be built in...

#141144 - 07/24/08 10:51 AM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

New plan and choices:

Plan A, I have a friend buying a large 2-story house with one bedroom and a full bath on the ground floor that I can rent.

Plan B, I have a line on an older, very inexpensive, trailerable MacGregor 25 sailboat that would make a barebones liveabord - if it passes a marine survey and ownership record check.

The bank visited today just to see if the house remains occupied, and I am waiting a callback from the IRS. I have found very part-time employment and am volunteering at a local golf course as an "ambassador." Many job applications are in.

In my spare time I am looking at prospects in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, and Texas.

Attitude adjustment is a constant challenge; it's good to have friends.

It remains almost certain that the cat will have to train a new owner.

#141161 - 07/24/08 01:16 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
The boat sounds intersting. I assume that you would park it on the delta somewhere. Got any idea where, and and at what cost? You ever plan on actually sailing it around, or just park it and live on board?

Keep up the positive attitude, you are not alone...

#141170 - 07/24/08 01:43 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

I am still checking marinas that allow liveabords. Looks like baot slip and place to store the boat trailer will run around $200 per month.

Yes, I will definitely sail the boat. I will also trailer the boat to some local lakes.

Thanks for the inquiry.

#141181 - 07/24/08 02:49 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Take a look at this site

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.