Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#131222 - 04/26/08 11:22 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited options [Re: BobS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"... if you shoot anyone, make sure you kill him..."

Just make sure that he/she is dead before the body hits the ground. Shooting downward into a live person is considered a no-no by the courts...

#131223 - 04/26/08 11:38 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited options [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The "double tap" method of training is the preferred method of insuring that you will use the same method when it matters.

#131236 - 04/27/08 01:34 AM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited options [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Unless they are down and still keep coming.

*shudders* Freakin' zombies.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#131241 - 04/27/08 03:00 AM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Shooting downward into a live person is considered a no-no by the courts...

Ever see a deer with an arrow through it and stuck to the bed of the pickup truck?

At my friends gun shop he also checks in deer’s during deer season. This guy shot a deer a few days before season (with a gun) and let it lay in the snow for a day and then took it in to get checked in, it was bow-season, so he loads the deer in the truck and then stands over it and puts an arrow into it, well it went through the deer and into the bed of the truck. We found out because we flipped the deer around to put a tag on the antlers and it would not move.

Don’t know the outcome for the guy, but the gun shop owner let the guy go called and it in to DNR.

Once he drove off, we had a good laugh over it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#131243 - 04/27/08 03:08 AM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Heh - Leigh, he lives in the Americas (South) - we are ALLOWED to be barbaric... anyway, a GREAT pump costs less than an average double.

Although it is stressful to consider 2 only (3 would be nice...), I echo the 12 gauge for long gun and a revolver in 38 Spl, 22 lr, or 32 (Unless 327 Federal or 32 H&R, I would not be keen on the 32). If it's difficult to get 38 Special ammunition, go with the 22 and try to freshen your ammo stock up every year or so if you can.

Revolvers function with any ammunition that chambers - from very light target loads to as heavy as the supplier provides. It is pretty much a part-swapping operation to be able to do that with almost all semi automatics.

Note to fellow gun gnuts - I have and use and like pistols of all sorts - SA & DA revolvers and SA semi-automatic... I have and use a DA semi - like it just fine if I shoot it SA. Personal preference. Anyway, I'm thinking about what HE can best use, not what I like.

Regards,

Tom

#131244 - 04/27/08 03:16 AM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: AyersTG]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I like single action semi autos, and single shot hunting pistols.

I agree that there is more to learn with a semi auto then a revolver. But it comes down to what you like and feel comfortable with.

Fabio if you have friends that own guns, it would be a good idea to see if you can go out and shoot to see what type of gun you like and think will work for you.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#131255 - 04/27/08 02:25 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: BobS]
Fabio Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brasília, Brazil

Thanks for all sugestions and coments!

I spent yesterday afternoon in the range (introdutory pistol shooting course), shoting with a .380 pistol. It was much more dificult to shoot acurately at 15 yards than I thougth, but I think I did well in close range. I realy enjoyed the multiple target and magazine changing drills.

But I think I'm going to stay with the shotgun and revolver combination, due to simplicity and versatility with ammunition.

The limitations to firearms aquisition in Brazil is "per person", but it will be very hard to convince my wife to by any firearm.

There is a way around the limitations if I ask for a special permit (lots of paperwork and expensive) as a hunter or sport shooter, but I don't have the intention to seek that permit, at least for now.

Best regards,

Fabio

#131256 - 04/27/08 02:33 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: BobS]
Fabio Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brasília, Brazil

Thanks for all sugestions and coments!

I spent yesterday afternoon in the range (introdutory pistol shooting course), shoting with a .380 pistol. It was much more dificult to shoot acurately at 15 yards than I thougth, but I think I did well in close range. I realy enjoyed the multiple target and magazine changing drills.

But I think I'm going to stay with the shotgun and revolver combination, due to simplicity and versatility with ammunition.

The limitations to firearms aquisition in Brazil is "per person", but it will be very hard to convince my wife to by any firearm.

There is a way around the limitations if I ask for a special permit (lots of paperwork and expensive) as a hunter or sport shooter, but I don't have the intention to seek that permit, at least for now.

Best regards,

Fabio

#131257 - 04/27/08 02:49 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: Fabio]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Fabio,
Which shotgun and revolver will you be getting? Just curious...

#131259 - 04/27/08 04:05 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited options [Re: wildman800]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I do now know what the use of force laws are like in Brazil.

Here it Canada a person is held criminally responsible for all excessive force used in any situation. During recent training I was informed of an occurrence in 1999 where an RCMP Officer "double tapped" a violent, impaired suspect at a police station during a struggle for the officers pistol. The officer was later convicted of excessive force (manslaughter with a firearm) in his 3rd trial (after 2 hung juries). It was decided that the first round was justified and had removed the threat but that the quick, lethal second shot (within 2 seconds of the first) was excessive. The question for the jury became, who had control of the pistol when the second shot was fired? A brief discription of this case can be found here http://www.rbta.net/ferguson.html . This case later went to the Supreme Court of Canada concerning the sentence imposed by the lower court.

I am not making any judgement in this case, only saying that you will be held responsible to justify all force you apply, including every round you fire in a defensive situation.

Mike

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.