Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#131237 - 04/27/08 01:35 AM Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? [Re: Taurus]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: Taurus
I am the ONLY guy I know that still uses a zippo for EDC.

I dont smoke, but I always use it daily for melting the tips of rope, burning threads off etc. I usually only have to fill it every two weeks.

I EDC one too also a non smoker. I get about 2 weeks from mine with minimal usage, with a fairly heavy fueling and carried in my pocket.

#131239 - 04/27/08 02:10 AM Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? [Re: Taurus]
red Offline

I tried, I really tried to EDC one of those peanut lighters sold by CountyComm. But everytime I tried to light it up when it mattered, it failed. I chucked it as far as I could throw it.

#131246 - 04/27/08 12:29 PM thanks; and reasons why I now EDC the Zippo [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
thanks to all for the info. I recently bought a zippo to trial-replace my EDC bic (I don't smoke) for the following reasons:

I like the "refill" aspect, more enviro friendly

I like the American Made component, and it's long history

I like that it is very wind resistant

I like that the cover can be partially closed over the flame to quickly warm up the unit and function as a quick handwarmer.

I like that it's shiny mirror like finish makes a decent little signal device

I like that you can fire it up and set it down under a firelay and it will continue to burn as long as you've got fuel.

I like that it's a neat little gadget and very cool

I like the guarantee for free repair by zippo, and the replacability of working parts.

I DIDN'T LIKE NOT KNOWWING HOW OFTEN TO REFILL IT, BUT NOW I DO, SO THANKS!!

#131248 - 04/27/08 12:47 PM Re: thanks; and reasons why I now EDC the Zippo [Re: kevingg]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: kevingg

I like the guarantee for free repair by zippo

And they mean it. When Dad passed, I found his old zippo from the 50's. It didn't work, so I sent it off to zippo, got it back with the old parts replaced and a new insert. The letter said "never charged for repairs, never will"

Now that's the way to treat your customers!

#131299 - 04/27/08 09:09 PM Re: thanks; and reasons why I now EDC the Zippo [Re: bws48]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I too EDC a zippo lighter. I keep it in a nylon pouch made by zippo. I don't smoke, but my wife does so it gets used 5 to 10 times a week. I live in florida and I usually go a week and a half to two weeks between fills. I also overfill it and have repacked and fluffed the cotton batting inside the unit. I carry a spare flint under the felt "tongue" on the bottom.
I have about a dozen or so different zippos and can tell you from experience that some hold their fuel better than others. No rhyme or reason to it that I can see, although in my experience the brass cased ones fare better than the steel ones.

-Bill Liptak

#131305 - 04/27/08 10:45 PM Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? [Re: Taurus]
Mogg Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Taurus
I am the ONLY guy I know that still uses a zippo for EDC.

I edc a zippo. Used to carry the windproof naptha eating variety, but now I find myself carring the new Zippo Blu butane variety.

I would suggest one of the carry pouches made for the Zippo. I found that mine would leak fuel occasionally if I carried it in a pocket. The pouch solved that.

I prefer the type with a leather strap and snap arrangement, as I've found that the steel clip type can easily let go, and that the clip is subject to damage.

THe Zippo fuel cell is a really good idea, even if you don't carry a Zippo. It gives you instant tinder. I must replace mine, as I gave it to a friend. Don't trust the carry clip on the cannester, though, the top can unscrew, resulting in loss of the cannister.

must be the one
with the axe.

#131307 - 04/27/08 11:08 PM Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? [Re: Mogg]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Quote:
I prefer the type with a leather strap and snap arrangement,

I had one un-snap on me in the field. I happened to hear it when it fell to the ground so I was lucky. Using my dremel, a dime and a nail I fixed the pouch so it will never un-snap and drop to the ground again.

Other than that I have no other beefs with the pouch.

#131312 - 04/28/08 12:00 AM Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? [Re: Taurus]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Which is why I use the cordura zippo pouch. It has a tunnel for the belt, not as handy as far as easy on, easy off but it will be there when ya need it.

-Bill Liptak

#131322 - 04/28/08 02:15 AM Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? [Re: BillLiptak]
sodak Offline
Addict

I just splurged and got the belt buckle - redneck heaven! Now I have my zippo instantly and securely accessible, right in front. Best idea since sliced bread!

#131328 - 04/28/08 03:02 AM Re: how long will zippo lighter hold fuel before dead? [Re: kevingg]
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
I used to carry Zippos when i smoked (I am trying to quit right now so I am not carrying a lighter anyway) I used the leather Zippo holder but I TIG welded the clip together at the bottom so it can't come off. (I seem to have a problem with clips just refer to my Leatherman warranty post). I had a nylon holder years ago but don't know what happened to it. I actually wore out one of the leather holders and had to replace it after about 4 years or so.
I kept zippo fluid in every vehicle and in my tool box and lunch box so i could always refill. Now that i think about it I need to take the bottle of fluid out of my hunting waist pack.
I love Zippos I must have a dozen or so and some of them are unused. I even have my dad's from the 60s or 70s and a few of the belt buckles to keep them in

Kirby

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.