Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#131264 - 04/27/08 05:14 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited options [Re: SwampDonkey]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
That is sad that a police officer can’t defend himself and others without fear of being convicted and going to jail. The laws seem to favor a criminal so much that it makes one wonder why a person would want to be a cop any more.

Fabio any gun will work for defense, some choices may be better then others, but there is no wrong choice. It also has a lot to do with what you feel comfortable with.

Whatever the choice, try to get out and practice as much as you can. This is more important then the actual choice of what gun you like.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#131272 - 04/27/08 07:06 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: Fabio]
fs1911 Offline
Stranger

I would like to make two suggestions to increase the versatility of your allowed two guns:

1. A single shot shotgun/rifle like made by New England Firearms/H&R or Rossi can be had as combination guns or additional barrels of different calibers may be able to be purchased. Since the frame part is usually considered "the gun", you might be able to have a single, very versatile gun with multiple barrels this way.

2. You might also look at the various adapter things made by a company called MCA Sports. http://www.mcace.com/ They would also allow you to get multiple use from a single gun.

#131279 - 04/27/08 07:53 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: fs1911]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
The MCA sports adaptors work well, not for rapid fire, but you will have a very useful gun with them.

These inserts are great for survival. It will allow you to shoot all kinds of calibers in shotguns and rifles. They are very well suited for hinge shotguns.

Prices are not too high, a good value for what you get.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#131280 - 04/27/08 07:54 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: fs1911]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Fabio, if I may chime in with my two cents......I would consider, if it were me, of going with either
A) .38 special revolver and .38 special rifle
Or....
B) .38 special revolver and 12 gauge pump shotgun.
Either way I believe the .38 in a 4" to 6" barrel wil offer the maximum stopping power with the minimal recoil and maintenance. You or your wife should be able to handle anything shy of hot +p+ with little felt recoil (assuming you can even find +p+ ammo or that your gun is safe to fire it)
The rifle will give you the advantage of little felt recoil, longer range and accuracy than the pistol and be a resonably reliable round for stopping man and beast. Disadvantage to snake killing unless you can find .38 special snake shot, which I have seen here in the us.
12 ga. Shotgun is good against ANY kind of critter, 2 legged or 4 although you or your wife may have a harder time with recoil. Get familiar with the different sized ammo (slug, 000, 00, bird shot etc...) By chooseing your ammo wisely you can set up for differnt threats at different ranges as well as have a fine weapon for hunting.
That narrows it down a little, hopefully you can convince the lovely wife to purchase a firearm of her own, 12 ga shotgun and rifle/handgun in .38 special would be optimal IMHO
Best of luck, I hope this helps a little.

-Bill Liptak

#131286 - 04/27/08 08:05 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: BillLiptak]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
There's a reason why one of the preferred weapons for anti-boarding operations aboard ship is still a good old pump 12 gauge shotgun.

There's a lot to be said for the effect on the rest of the assailants when they see one of their own get folded in half at the waist, picked up and tossed out the door like he had a rope tied to him and the other end tied to a runaway bull with a hot shot stuck on his rump.

Downright demoralizing.

A double is okay, but then you lose the effect racking the slide on the pump gun has on an intruder in the dark. Almost as good as the sound a big blade going "swoosh" through the air, and not knowing quite from which direction the sound came.

Yes, I likes to play with my food before I eats it...sometimes.

#131292 - 04/27/08 08:37 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: NightHiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Do you really think a .380 has more "stopping power" than a .38 Spl? Really?

#131296 - 04/27/08 08:58 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: AyersTG]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: AyersTG
Heh - Leigh, he lives in the Americas (South) - we are ALLOWED to be barbaric... anyway, a GREAT pump costs less than an average double.

Although it is stressful to consider 2 only (3 would be nice...), I echo the 12 gauge for long gun and a revolver in 38 Spl, 22 lr, or 32 (Unless 327 Federal or 32 H&R, I would not be keen on the 32). If it's difficult to get 38 Special ammunition, go with the 22 and try to freshen your ammo stock up every year or so if you can.

Revolvers function with any ammunition that chambers - from very light target loads to as heavy as the supplier provides. It is pretty much a part-swapping operation to be able to do that with almost all semi automatics.

Note to fellow gun gnuts - I have and use and like pistols of all sorts - SA & DA revolvers and SA semi-automatic... I have and use a DA semi - like it just fine if I shoot it SA. Personal preference. Anyway, I'm thinking about what HE can best use, not what I like.

Regards,

Tom

I am, amongst other thing's, a trained Soldier. I have been trained to shoot fast & accurately. To count my rounds as I fire them and to know when to reload. I was carefully trained to treat the threat in front of me as a target, not as a person. To shoot, kill, and then switch targets. I have serious reservations about the ability of ordinary people with limited training to fire, re-cock and fire a pump action under stress at one or more targets. I think that they will fire one shot and then succeed in jamming the gun. Unless they practice, practice, practice. Which may not be an option with ammo controls.

#131300 - 04/27/08 09:29 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: Fabio]
Russ Offline
Geezer

To understand the laws Fabio is dealing with, read the summary at http://www.afn.org/~afn18566/brazil.html.

Another article from the NRA: Why you should care about Brazil

Tough laws if you intend to stay legal. Read the part on the black market.

#131302 - 04/27/08 09:47 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of practice. Learn to reload at the club and shoot a lot of Skeet doubles and shotgun combat courses if available. Assuming you go with a pump shotgun, train such that you always pump the shotgun following a shot so that it is a natural movement and you don't need to think about it.

Buy ammo when you can, there will come a time when you can't.

#131309 - 04/27/08 11:48 PM Re: Advice for firearm selection with limited opti [Re: Russ]
Fabio Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brasília, Brazil

Hello Russ,

I have only two choices for a shotgun, CBC (http://www.cbc.com.br)or Boito (www.eramantino.com.br). I have to choose one of them.

For the revolver,I think I'm going to buy a Taurus (need to choose a model) with 4" barrel and a cilider for 6, 7 or 8 cartridges.

Fabio

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.