Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#131077 - 04/25/08 11:46 AM Condiment packs for survival
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, I don't recall as we've ever broached this topic before, but maybe I just missed it somewhere.

looking in my cupboard and my packs, I realize that I am hoarding up all my condiment packs. Specifially, I look for ones that contain either dried ingredients or stuff in foil and plastic packs like MREs.

Right now, I am stocking about 5 lbs of the various flavors of Taco Bell Hot sauces. I also have about a pound of Gulden's mustard packets, about 2 lbs of mayonaise, about a lb of splenda packets, about 1/2 a lb each of salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, about 2 lbs of soy sauce packets, and at least 2 lbs of ketchup packets, all freebies, all in foil and plastic packets (except the dry stuff). I also have maybe another 5 pounds or so of miscellaneous, like tabasco packets, parmesan cheese packets, tea packets, peanut butter cups (smuckers), jams and jellies, and other odds and ends.

Twenty pounds of condiments. Anyone else here as bad as me?

#131081 - 04/25/08 12:11 PM Re: Condiment packs for survival [Re: benjammin]
Henry_Porter Offline

Lol, I do the same but haven't accumulated quite the amount you have!

I also hang onto the sealed packets with plastic forks, knife, spoon, napkin, salt and pepper that come with some takeaway meals. In certain situations, the condiments and seasonings can make the difference between "feeding" and "dining." Plus, free is good.

#131084 - 04/25/08 01:12 PM Re: Condiment packs for survival [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
My name is Wildman800 and I am a restaurant condiment and utensil packet SAVING JUNKIE! I feel so much better now that I have gotten that out into the open!!!!!

Yes I save all restaurant condiment packs. I watch dates on the mustards and mayonnaise packets closely, and keep those in my fridge. Everything else is separated and in organized storage in the house (climate controlled).

When it's time to go camping, I will eat well, not just feed as has already been mentioned.

Yes Benjammin,,,,I am in your league of condiment savers.

#131099 - 04/25/08 02:52 PM Re: Condiment packs for survival [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I used to be, but moving from a stick home into a home on wheels brought that to a screeching halt. No room to store that much stuff...

#131100 - 04/25/08 03:02 PM Re: Condiment packs for survival [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I haven't been hoarding. But I do have those tendencies. Also, I am sure it will get worse over time. I am convinced I have no control over it because it is genetic or a disease. We all know that if it is either of those you are free of all responsibility. Hoard away my friend!

By the way...If you kill a big animal, say a deer/elk, you can mix all your liquid condiments and make a whale of a marinade/basting sauce. When you do I'll bring the cole slaw.

#131112 - 04/25/08 03:49 PM Re: Condiment packs for survival [Re: MoBOB]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Some of those things do go bad after a while. I don't know if all of them do. Nor how long it takes. The wife and kids save them, I mostly throw them out when I find them and have no idea how old they are (the family saves them, but doesn't label them with dates, not all come pre-dated). Doesn't matter if I throw them out, there will be 500 new ones tomorrow! Just yesterday I went to Arbys and brought back a Junior sandwich for the wife. I asked them to put a sauce packet into the bag. When I got home there were no less than 23 sauce packets - I'm not kidding! That would have been one drippy sandwich with all that sauce. Do people really eat them that way?!

Edited by haertig (04/25/08 03:52 PM)

#131115 - 04/25/08 04:06 PM Re: Condiment packs for survival [Re: haertig]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I don't do this at home but at work, I have at least a pound of condiments hoarded from many take-out lunches as well as a lot of napkins and plastic cutlery.

I've never considered the nutrition of these but now that you think about it, the mind boggles at the possibilities

• Honey - Sweetener/First Aid
  • Ketchup - Sugar/Salt/Calories (though not as many as you'd think)
  • Soya Sauce - Salt/Electrolytes
  • Hot Sauce - Flavor (most hot sauces don't have much of any nutritional value)
  • BBQ Sauce - Sugar/Calories
  • Mustard - Fiber/Vitamins

Unfortunately you'd need to eat a lot if you happened to be trapped in your office with nothing but a big bag of Arby's Sauce packets. They're only 15 calories each and really have no nutritional value beyond containing Iron. The thought of downing 100-150 a day to meet my BMR makes me feel ill.

#131122 - 04/25/08 06:29 PM Re: Condiment packs for survival [Re: benjammin]
figtree
Unregistered

I collect condiments as well. I also toss in some peanut butter ones as well (thank you healthcare job). I typically keep a much lighter load of them (less than 20 lbs for sure) but to keep them fresh i rotate them out yearly-i just toss them in zip locks with the date on them and after a year rotate them out with fresh which i collect along the way.

#131125 - 04/25/08 08:19 PM Re: Condiment packs for survival [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The peanut butter cups, the jellies, and the taco bell sauces are probably my favorites. Those Smuckers peanut butter cups have a whole tablespoon of peanut butter in them. They aren't quite as well sealed as most of the other condiment packets, but they stack well in my crystal light plastic cannisters and would travel thus quite well I think.

Man, I am getting hungry now.

#131127 - 04/25/08 08:57 PM Re: Condiment packs for survival [Re: benjammin]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Working in the healthcare industry (ER)I are subjected to all of the above, we keep honey packets, jelly (grape only),peanut butter,salt,pepper,ketchup,mustard,.............(it's like the song that never ends.
sorry I digress, yes I too am subject to the cravings of collection

Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 281 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.