Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#131090 - 04/25/08 02:06 PM Fitness routines
Hookpunch Offline

Hey I was just wondering how big a role fitness plays in your preparation for survival.

I have always had a focus on being fit, mostly through martial arts training but it seems to me it is critical for survival as well.

Since my son was born three years ago I had to cut out the martial arts training but still keep up with the push-ups, squats, pull-ups , sit-ups, wind sprints and rope jumping.

So what do you do if anything?

#131092 - 04/25/08 02:18 PM Re: Fitness routines [Re: ]
Hookpunch Offline

Hey Izzy, when I was younger I was like you, then I started martial arts and quickly gained weight and size.

If you focus on the resistance training you might be able to bulk up fairly quickly.

I should add that the type of martial arts I do is jiu-jitsu, so I did a lot of grappling as opposed to sparring.

Edited by Hookpunch (04/25/08 02:18 PM)

#131093 - 04/25/08 02:20 PM Re: Fitness routines [Re: Hookpunch]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
To answer your question, IMHO, fitness is a very necessary part of being prepared.

Unfortunately, in my day to day working/living routine, I am getting very little exercise. I am riding my bike more, when I am at home. I am trying to develope the habit of walking my tow while I am underway.

The weight-lifting, push-ups, etc workout just doesn't fit into my mindset so I am trying to get my exercise in other ways.

#131102 - 04/25/08 03:14 PM Re: Fitness routines [Re: wildman800]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
The long slow cardio is probably the best IMHO. Don't get me wrong, strength is great but it is all about the long haul. I'm not a fan of wind sprints due tothe fact they are basically anaerobic in nature. Case in point: When I was in high school on the track team the entire team had to run full-out laps on the track. We'd get about 2 minute to rest then do another one. The "weight" guys (shot put, discus) struggled mightily after about a lap and a half. The sprinters (100, 220, 440) could hold their own for about three laps. However, the distance runners just kept plugging along. The team ended up doing about 10 of these. That was basically the workout for that day. Needless to say the "weight" guys took a beating. The sprinters were OK for the most part, just a little rubbery legged. Us distance guys: we were looking for more.

All that for this: Work on the cardio/aerobic stuff. Add in some strength training, too. Most of all, do something!

That reminds me, I have to start working out again. Good thing I have an Arc Trainer and ESPN at the house.

Enough of that.

#131104 - 04/25/08 03:16 PM Re: Fitness routines [Re: ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Nice regimen!! I'm lucky to jump on my Arc Trainer 4 or 5 times a week.

#131107 - 04/25/08 03:42 PM Re: Fitness routines [Re: Hookpunch]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
My wife and I just moved to an urban area and sold our car. We get a lot of exercise without the car.

Biking, running, walking...My goal is to incorporate swimming. My wife is a strong swimmer but I have yet to learn to swim properly. I can have fun in a pool and "not drown" in a lake but gaining distance beyond about a mile in the water is something I am not currently capable of.

Speaking in reference to MoBoB's observation you should gauge your workouts to what kind of stresses you foresee in a survival situation. I'm currently finishing my PhD in Physiology and from my exercise science colleagues I have learned a few things. Repeated environmental stressors signal the body to adapt. Thus endurance exercise stimulates the body to favor muscle types (slow twitch) that are relatively low strength but last over a duration (e.g. marathon runners). On the other hand mechanical stress from weights or sprinting encourage a greater bone density and selects for muscle types that are stronger over a shorter duration. Thus giving the spectrum of performance in running described by MoBoB. Pretty interesting that our bodies will adapt to our environment and our activities.

As a side note I also found out that it is now thought that "lactic acid buildup soreness" is a myth. Research seems to indicate the pain after working out is more likely caused my micro muscle tears and micro bone fractures.

Good luck Hookpunch. I think Martial Arts is a great place to start as it is not only physical training but also mental training for situational awareness and discipline.

Cheers,
Nemo

#131111 - 04/25/08 03:48 PM Re: Fitness routines [Re: MoBOB]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
The long slow cardio is probably the best IMHO.

+1 to this. Of course, there are many facets to "fitness"--muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardio endurance, flexibility, etc., and you ignore any one of them at your own risk, but if I had to pick one aspect to emphasize, it would be cardio. Your metabolism becomes more efficient at burning fats, so you can go longer without "hitting the wall" or feeling those hypoglycemic shakes during a long hike. In a survival situation with little food, this means you function better without feeling awful. I feel that you can withstand stress better, whether chronic or the sudden adrenaline dump, when your cardio system is fit. Of course, there are the long term benefits of blood pressure and cholestrol control, etc.

I do think "wind sprints" or intervals, or whatever you want to call them do have a valuable place, though. Well, there are variations. Going full-out, anaerobic, my-legs-are-burning wind sprints is hard on the body. However, doing something similar but only going to upper range of your aerobic capacity for a time then back down repeatedly also has many benefits that you won't easily get by just going slow all the time. For me, a pulse of about 160 is just at that threshold when I can feel myself getting a bit anaerobic--the breathing gets a bit ragged, my mind suddenly feels busier, and the exercise isn't so easy anymore. If you pay attention, it gets easy to notice when you hit that point without taking your pulse. Unless you regularly push that upper limit a bit, I personally find that it's easy for your conditioning to actually slip over time because your body gets too used to performing only at that lower level, no matter how many hours you can keep up that lower pace.

Don't overdo it, though. I see lot's of people who seem to be training at that upper, or even anaerobic, point all the time. They're the ones who leave the cardio machines looking like someone just hosed them down. I often only see them at the gym for a while and then they disappear. You just can't keep up that kind of workout day in and day out. Even if you can do it physically, it is mentally tiring, too. Like I mentioned, your mind gets rather stressed at that intensity level. It's not really a fun or peaceful place to be. Slow and easy is the base, but periodically pushing the envelope a bit is good, too.

I recently started taking a yoga class for an old back injury, too. It's great! I wish I had tried yoga a long time ago. It's not a miracle cure or anything, but it has worked in ways that "normal" stretching never helped me with. It can also be surprisingly tough. I was so sore every week after class for more than a month before I got strong enough that I could actually feel relaxed while doing the poses. If you're interested in yoga, I suggest taking some classes. It's important to get the biomechanics of the poses correct to prevent injuries and stretch the correct things, and that is hard to evaluate yourself. It really helps to have an experienced instructor guiding and correcting you until you get the basics correct.

#131114 - 04/25/08 03:55 PM Re: Fitness routines [Re: Loganenator]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Hey Izzy,

I have a similar problem being 6'1'' tall at 155 lbs. I think my reason is stress of grad school and caffeine though. When an experiment starts I typically lose about 10-12 lbs. Do you have anyone in your family that has a similar body composition? It may be genetic more than your diet. Also if you do consider changing your diet for health reasons I would recommend seeing an RD (registered dietitian). They are not expensive for a consult and if you could find an RD student you could get a consult for free as a project of theirs smile.

I help teach some pre-med and med students and I know for a fact that medical doctors receive little to no training in nutrition unless it is their specialization. Even then I would trust an RD more. I would only trust an MD's advice on disease (such as hyperthyroidism) and general physiology (how the body works). Anything else like exercise and nutrition they are pretty much guessing.

An RD is trained and certified in nutrition topics. Good luck.

Cheers,
Nemo.

#131117 - 04/25/08 04:10 PM Re: Fitness routines [Re: Loganenator]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I stopped going to the gym ages ago. Instead I get my exercise by taking part in many activities which are much more real.

Long walks with my wife. I'm a member of the local 'outdoor club' which does a lot of hikes, backpack weight training, stair running, bike riding, climbing, camping, and other active events that I can take part in with others...much more motivational than sitting on a treadmill plugged into an iPod. I also walk to and/or from work whenever I can.

It's not what anybody would consider 'hard core' or anything but it's consistent and it's regular and that's the key thing for me...it's easy to get in a rut of not doing anything...and anything is better than nothing.

#131126 - 04/25/08 08:48 PM Re: Fitness routines [Re: ]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Hi Gang
I do Power 90 at home, Sculpt 3 days a week (M,W,F) and Cardio 3 days a week (T,Th,Sa) and rest on the seventh,
P90 has been a godsend for my DW and I.
42 days in and down to 217lbs (from 222)
lost 3" on waist, 1" on hips and thighs
remember fat turns to muscle so no real weight loss for the first 30 days
go here to see results
www.teambeachbody.com/michael2bfit

Edited by kd7fqd (04/25/08 08:49 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.