Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#130574 - 04/19/08 08:03 PM Lost-Cost Dutch Oven
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
In an effort to gear-up several new Scout patrols I had ordered several low-cost ($20) Dutch ovens from Harbor Freight. I'd heard good things about them, but was a bit nervous about what was going to show up at my door.

They arrived today and I'm in the process of burning off teh wax coating and seasoning them. Wow, they are really decent quality. Not nearly as well finished as my own Lodge Dutch oven, but they are really nice for just $20.

I'd say that if you can afford it, go ahead and get the Lodge or other higher-end brands, but for $20 the Harbor Freight 12" (6 quart) Dutch oven is pretty decent.

Ken K.

#130579 - 04/19/08 08:54 PM Re: Lost-Cost Dutch Oven [Re: KenK]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
In Canada, Dutch ovens are free. You should come here to get all you want... smile

#130588 - 04/19/08 11:49 PM Re: Lost-Cost Dutch Oven [Re: ]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
^ Yeah, it must be one of those terms that doesn't cross the border well. I have only ever heard of one type of Dutch oven up here, we must call the cooking type (I presume, whatever it is) something else.

#130590 - 04/20/08 12:11 AM Re: Lost-Cost Dutch Oven [Re: cfraser]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I’ve always wanted to try a Dutch-oven but never have yet. I do have a reflector oven ($4.00 garage sale) that I use for baking when camping and it works great. I also have a Coleman folding oven ($19.00 Gander Mountain) that’s made to sit on top of a camp stove. The Coleman one works great, just like a regular oven. I like both of them, the Coleman oven is easier to setup & use then the reflector oven.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#130612 - 04/20/08 01:09 PM Re: Lost-Cost Dutch Oven [Re: KenK]
NAro Offline
Addict

Am I being too paranoid? A lot of the stuff I've purchased from Harbor Freight has been from China. Any concerns regarding the metal content of the $20 Dutch ovens? Are they actually food-safe, per U.S. regulations? When I use one, there is direct food-to-metal contact, and for a prolonged period of time.

#130613 - 04/20/08 01:30 PM Re: Lost-Cost Dutch Oven [Re: NAro]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My current view is that if it came from China, it (and nothing that has been in it) touches my mouth...

#130628 - 04/20/08 03:47 PM Re: Lost-Cost Dutch Oven [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Yes, they are made in China. My preference is always US-made, but the reality is that lots of stuff is made off-shore - LOTS of stuff. Its a global market today, and my son's troop simply can't afford to pay the price for Lodge gear.

After a few seasoning runs the only thing touching the food is the built-up carbon on the surface. There won't be any food-iron contact at all. Plus, from what I've read, the boiling point of lead is below the casting temperatures used for cast iron (around 2000F). I'm no expert though.

#130630 - 04/20/08 04:18 PM Re: Lost-Cost Dutch Oven [Re: KenK]
TS_Shawn Offline

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Because of last year's dog food fiasco, the lead paint on child toys and many other outrages due to rampant corruption in China, I try to avoid Made in China altogether and absolutely refuse to cook with anything Made in China.

Have recently gotten into Dutch Ovens and cast iron (including Lodge's enamel cast iron) in a big way. In large part because of Lodge's recent innovation of pre-seasoned cast iron. It's ready to go out of the box.

Cranberry-orange bread is baking in my oven as I type this -- in a 1 quart Dutch Oven from Lodge. Am beginning to experiment with a 10" (4 quart), a 12" deep (8 quart) at home and will be taking these camping starting next month.

Teflon is history in my house.

Last week was my first use of a new cast iron wok (from Lodge) and after three decades of doing stir-fry the cast iron wok is a fantastic upgrade.

I've been amazed how affordable and in some instances, cheap, Lodge cast iron is. Especially considered it's Made in USA at their foundry in Tennessee.

Have purchased most of it at amazon.com and taken advantage of the "Free Super Saver Shipping" that is an option with every piece I've purchased there. Have bought some accessories from Cabelas.

Here's a new camp cooking web page that is already full of terrific information on Dutch Oven and other forms of camp cooking. Helps with gearing up and with many great recipes:

http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=a33a3b7872e71139cd64d4f8d367454c

Here's Lodge's web page.

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/products1.asp?idDept=1413&menu=logic

Dutch ovens have an interesting history, too. Some things can't be improved upon. But Paul Revere did put his stamp on Dutch Ovens when he started making them with the lid lip to keep coals and ash from falling off as well as the legs which allow coals to be placed underneath.

Edited by TS_Shawn (04/20/08 04:26 PM)

#130669 - 04/21/08 01:40 AM Re: Lost-Cost Dutch Oven [Re: TS_Shawn]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Wow, I had no idea that Lodge had come up with factory seasoning. Amazing, simply amazing...

#130672 - 04/21/08 02:15 AM Re: Lost-Cost Dutch Oven [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I’m glad this was pointed out, I never gave the China thing a thought as it pertains to cooking utensils. But with all the problems that keep popping up with China made items the last year or so with a wide range of items it does make you not want to buy cooking utensils from them. As I will now make sure I don’t do.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.