OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
There ya go!!!

#143826 - 08/12/08 08:58 AM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Thanks for sharing your story, dweste, and good luck with your fresh start.

#143857 - 08/12/08 02:15 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Good deal dweste.

I'm wishing the best for you, and want to thank you for sharing what's going on with you (man, that sounded like a therapy group I was in once).

In reading your posts and the responses of others, I re-evaluate my family's preparedness level and learn from you - thanks.

There are probably folks not part of the ETS community that lurk through that may be going through something similar and are learning from you as well.

#143865 - 08/12/08 02:37 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
dweste, my heart goes out to you, as it seems does everyone else's.

Two sayings I always keep in mind, one you surely know and the other you might not:
  • Fortune is a wheel that turns in the world.
  • There, but for the grace of God, go I.

Nice thing is that you don't even have to be religious to draw strength from them. Don't know why they work but they do for me.

#143873 - 08/12/08 03:10 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: Fitzoid]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
You guys are helping me keep going, thanks.

My brother loaned me his pickup for a while. I am going to measure the office to see what will fit, and start moving in.

I am going to see if the local WEAVE [women's shelter] could accept the donation of most of the rest of my furniture and household stuff, now that the local Hospice decided they could not.

Still don't know where I am going to live, but one step at a time.

#144179 - 08/14/08 09:34 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

As I go through what can go to the office, what I intend to take to wherever I am going to live, what I want to donate, and what I am willing to abandon, I notice my stuff is trying to own me.

I keep asking myself, "Do I really need this?" Yeah, I might need it in the future, it might be nice to have, etc. but do I want to pay storage to keep it somewhere? Do I want it just because it is mine and I don't want anyone else to have it for free?

I'm trying to avoid storing anything. If it can't fit in the office and I cannot see it on a sailboat / car camping, then I am trying to let it go. It is amazing to see how little I really need using that criteria.

And it's at least as amazing to see how my instinct is to be greedy, to keep stuff just because.

#144189 - 08/14/08 10:39 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
Bill_G Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: dweste
And it's at least as amazing to see how my instinct is to be greedy, to keep stuff just because.

I recently married and we are merging our "stuff." I have needed to get rid of things I accumulated over a 28 yr. career in the Air Force and am working on that now. Some things are easy to get rid of, others not so much, and then there are the "I can't get rid of that!" items. Logic and emotions are hard to separate during these times. My best in your quest.

#144572 - 08/18/08 12:24 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: Bill_G]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

The weekend was a disaster. Lots of packing but no moving; neither of my weekend helpers were able to help. Lots of emails and phone calls but nothing sold. No one from the Women's Center called or showed up to take stuff. The one important meeting to delegate a problem didn't happen. So much for best laid plans. Lots of time invested with little to show for it.

Plan B: board the cat for a week prepaid; move minimal business furniture, computers, and records to office; try to find last minute storage space; abandon much more than planned; hope furniture buyer shows up; more packing; and too much etcetera.

The foreclosure sale is tomorrow. What, me panic?

Hot dogs, cheese, and Diet Pepsi for breakfast at 0530.

It's a great day to be alive. I can't wait to see how all this plays out; it will be a funny story someday.

Edited by dweste (08/18/08 12:25 PM)

#144576 - 08/18/08 12:57 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sounds like my move. Out closing date was rescheduled several times then finally they called and said our byers paperwork finally went through and we close tomorrow. We lost all our help and managed to get one person to help load and unload Thursday then helo Load friday, we made three trips, Thursday, friday and Saturday, my wife and I and the on helper for part of them and out 2 year old and 8 month old. We did this while closing on the house we were selling on Thursday afternoon and closing on the house we were buying on Friday afternoon, I would park the U haul in a big store paring lot then get in my wife's car and we would go to the closing then come back and drive the uhaul the rest of the way. Filled their biggest trailer three times and my truck. That was a month ago and we still have boxes we haven;t unpacked yet.

#144682 - 08/19/08 01:12 AM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: Eugene]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Jumping everywhere, accomplishing a fair amount, fretting some. Cat safely boarded for a week at the vet's. Found a storage space. Packed but moved nothing. Finally sold some furniture. The house feels strange. I think I will take myself out to dinner.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.