Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#130970 - 04/24/08 04:19 PM Training someone that took my job
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I find myself in a delicate situation.

I applied for a job (higher position for the same employer) which I was pretty confident I would get, but management decided to give the job to someone older, that had "more experience" (although I know darn well that they know I could have done the job).

To make a long story short, my boss is expecting me to train this new person. To tell them more about the business, our current project, etc.

I am obviously upset after not landing this promotion, and I am confused in regards to how I should behave at this point. Shut up and be collaborative, and wait for the next opportunity? Tell my boss I "can't do it"?

Just trying to get some input... thanks.

#130972 - 04/24/08 04:22 PM Re: Training someone that took my job [Re: SARbound]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
You should behave like a profesional and train the guy. If you handle this poorly it will affect(effect?)your chances the next time you apply for a promotion.

#130973 - 04/24/08 04:27 PM Re: Training someone that took my job [Re: SARbound]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Very delicate situation. If you have been given direct instruction to "train up" this guy you need to make sure you keep good faith with the company and do it. If you have been asked to help occassionally, I would find ways to keep myself out of the sight line of this guy. Make alot of busy work. Carry a clipboard/stack of papers and look worried alot. Give him only the specifics on the current project and a few of the particulars of the business as a whole. This person should only need to "acclimate", not learn the job.

For self-preservation keep a detailed log of your interaction with this person.

#130986 - 04/24/08 04:57 PM Re: Training someone that took my job [Re: SARbound]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Pass his resume on to a job "headhunter" and get him hired away to a new company?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#130987 - 04/24/08 04:57 PM Re: Training someone that took my job [Re: SARbound]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree strongly with Nishnabotna about being "professional" and doing the training the best that you can which produces the "best product" of that training. Your behavior and attitude will be observed and noted by those that matter. If the "thorn in your side" refuses to be trained or proves incapable of the proper utilization of the training that you've provided, then that will also be noted by those that matter.

As suggested by MoBob; After the training has been completed, stay out of the "thorn's" eyesight OR thus be placed in a position where YOU have to bail him/her out. After the training has been completed, "It's sink or swim time" without your involvement.

Just my thoughts.

#130988 - 04/24/08 04:59 PM Re: Training someone that took my job [Re: MoBOB]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I am the wrong person to ask. If it were me, I'd tell the boss that I don't need any more training to do the job I applied for and was given to somebody else. No hard feelings boss, but if he is the better man for the job then I shouldn't be training him...
But then again I do cut off my nose to spite my face and have been accused of being "blunt" from time to time....
For what its worth, I feel for ya and wish you the best of luck.

-Bill Liptak

#130991 - 04/24/08 05:18 PM Re: Training someone that took my job [Re: BillLiptak]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
i was in a similar situation a decade ago and to put it mildly i was not a happy camper, but i did it. as part of it i made notes on what i had shown the guy, dunno why i did but i was dam glad i did later. afew months after i finished training the guy up he made a massive cockup that cost the firm money and the little wanker blamed me for not training him right. it became an unholy mess involving the union, lawyers etc. my note taking saved my job and he got fired.

so my advice is keep notes and anything else you can think of to back you up.

#130993 - 04/24/08 05:31 PM Re: Training someone that took my job [Re: SARbound]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

if you are and wish to become and remain a long-term employee at your organization, i agree with Nishnabotna. do the job - it will affect your future.

it is not an easy pill to swallow - but nothing is forever.

you may become great friends. and maybe that person could even become your supervisor. what memory do you want them to have of you?

besides, if it doesn't go well, maybe later you can slip 'em a banana peel.

do document - everything.

#130995 - 04/24/08 05:37 PM Re: Training someone that took my job [Re: SARbound]
LED Offline
Veteran

Years ago I received advice from someone much wiser than I'll ever be. Similar to what Wildman said, if you decide to do the job, always do the best you can cause you never know who's watching. Sounds cliche, but the world's funny like that. In this instance, should you decide to stay, how you handle the situation may be more important than the job itself. Good luck.

#130996 - 04/24/08 05:52 PM Re: Training someone that took my job [Re: LED]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
IMO, your best and only course is to act as a true professional and carry out the training in good faith. This may be galling in the short term, but in the long run it's always in your favour. Attitude, dedication and team play count as much as knowledge and skill these days.

Documentation is a good idea. No need to skulk around though: discuss and lay out the training you think is needed with your manager, on paper; and include him/her and the trainee in documenting milestones. This is more than CYA; it's also a subtle way of reminding management of your qualifications.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.