Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#130902 - 04/23/08 11:55 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: sodak]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

I have begun to use Sigg stainless steel bottle now.

#130903 - 04/24/08 12:12 AM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
From what I understand they scrub the coal exhaust and out comes considerably cleaner air. Another alternative that they're exploring is coal re-gasification where they pump the exhaust below ground and then mine it later as liquified natural gas through some natural process or something like that. One thing that's just coming out is Plasma Arc Burning. A lot of trash burning plants already use it. It burns the fuel so hot and so quickly that about 2% of what used to be exhausted out the stacks is exhausted.

Another thing that I've read about is when they refine gas they just burn off propane that's created in the process when they could use it to fuel powerplants.

I live close to the Sun refinery in Toledo Ohio, I can see the burn stacks (for lack of a better term) from my house, and they do in fact burn off some type of gas all the time. I can’t for sure say what it is, but the rumor is there is a poisonous gas byproduct of the refining process that they burn off.

The burning runs almost 24-7, 365 days of the year. I live ½ mile away and at times you can easily read a book at night from the glow of the flames.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#130904 - 04/24/08 12:19 AM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: BobS]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Re the clean and dirty coal, it's typically like this, or at least was when I was involved in such things: Canada mostly has dirty coal, which they sell to the U.S. to burn there. Canada buys the clean U.S. coal to burn in Canada. LOL. It's a good thing the air stops at the border...

#130922 - 04/24/08 02:11 AM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: cfraser]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
(How the heck did we go from polycarbonate to coal? Oh well, here goes.)

I don't know about Central Canada, but my understanding is that all the coal in that broad region (on either side of the border) is high in sulfur, which is a big problem in terms of smog and acid rain. One deposit is always different from another, of course. And geology does not respect borders.

Coal in Western Canada (and I would assume in the States south of us) is very low in sulfur. And we have a huge amount of it, close to the surface. As with most coal, there's a little bit of mercury and arsenic to give it "flavour." There are many initiatives underway in this part of the world regarding coal gasification ("clean coal" in hype language). Billions of dollars are committed in Central Alberta alone; and much more is coming as we try to build networks to pump CO2 (and other crud) from coal and oilsands underground. This is an undertaking as large as the coal/oil industry itself; it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

#130928 - 04/24/08 04:24 AM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: dougwalkabout]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
^ It is kinda complicated, and logic won't give the reasons. I think it's politics, and the associated regulations. And some contracts are entered into for a decade plus. Also, what was even stranger to me than the coal jurisdictional movement, is how it is shipped (often literally) between and around Canada and the U.S. and the routes. Again, politics and regulations, besides available infrastructure. It is similar to people here asking: how come Canada imports more oil than it consumes, and also exports more than it consumes? Wouldn't it be a lot simpler and easier and more secure (and cheaper!) to just keep it mostly "in house"? That is a lot simpler to answer and makes perfect sense, if you consider who owns the refineries, the pipelines, the oil, the transportation. There is nothing like selling stuff to yourself (indirectly), moving it around and charging a good markup to yourself for each stage. The government takes a chunk of each of that too, so they'll soon complain... LOL, I really do find it funny, wish I had a piece...

How keen are people in BC about coal mines? I bet not much, not nearly as keen as people in Alberta would probably be. I'm in Ontario, and I guess (been a while, so may have changed too) it was all-round cheaper to get clean coal from the U.S. via the Great Lakes than shipping it by rail from elsewhere in Canada. Plus didn't have to have as good scrubbers etc. to meet whatever regs there were. And ship "our" (Canada's) dirty coal to places that burn it anyway and are set up for it reg-wise (if any, grandfathered). And the contractor's brother-in-law owned a clean coal mine, and his uncle a few GL freighters, etc. smile

I have noticed the Nalgene-style bottles are very hard to find now around here. They sure cleared them out quickly. Wal-Mart had big bins of some Chinese #7 plastic containers on sale last week...advance notice??

#130949 - 04/24/08 01:04 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: Matt26]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
Dihydrogen monoxide has killed more people than BPA. smirk

#130961 - 04/24/08 03:36 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: ohiohiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ohiohiker
Dihydrogen monoxide has killed more people than BPA. smirk

It's funny because it's true.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.