The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#130069 - 04/13/08 11:44 PM Swimng pool water
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I have 1500 gals. of swimming pool water in my back yard. What I would like to know is. Is the water save to drink for over an extended period?
confused
I might add that the water is clear and cleaned with clorine, and there is no junk in the pool.

Edited by big_al (04/13/08 11:47 PM)

#130071 - 04/14/08 12:28 AM Re: Swimng pool water [Re: big_al]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My guess, and it is just a guess, is that if you only used clorine it would probably be OK. But if other chemicals are used all bets are off. I think that I would prefer to use it for cleaning, high temp cooking, things like that, but if push comes to shove I would drink it...

#130086 - 04/14/08 04:56 AM Re: Swimng pool water [Re: ]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Majority of pools now a days don't even use Chlorine anymore. News ones, at least. They use a new type of salt concentration. The water is constantly cycled through a filtration system that puts the water under pressure seperating it from any foreign particles. The often heavier particles fall to the bottom of the filter and are killed by salt. So you have actually constantly purified and fresh water in the pool.

Actually the salt is used to make chlorine, like the MSR MIOX device, but on a larger scale. In large pools this methode is prefered, because this methode does not requite chlorine transports.

#130090 - 04/14/08 10:45 AM Re: Swimng pool water [Re: Tjin]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
If you only have chlorine in your pool then the chlorine can be neutralised with tablets.

That way you would only neutralise what you needed and the treated water would stay in the pool.

#130091 - 04/14/08 11:08 AM Re: Swimng pool water [Re: big_al]
HerbG Offline

Thankfully we no longer have a pool, but over twenty years of tending one makes me wary of what goes in one! In addition to chlorine products, I remember adding algaecides of various types and a number of products to increase or reduce the PH. It seemed we were constantly adding chemicals to make something "right." It is inevitable that swimmers would swallow some water, so I guess a little would not kill you, but no way would I want to drink it routinely except in an extreme emergency.

#130096 - 04/14/08 12:12 PM Re: Swimng pool water [Re: HerbG]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
A pool might be big enough to create some type of solar still with it, but the deeper it is, the harder it's going to be to get water to evaporate. It is too big a resource to pass up planning on using it.

#130097 - 04/14/08 12:21 PM Re: Swimng pool water [Re: Dan_McI]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

why not just use a good waterfilter with a activated carbon core? Should take out most of the chemicals, is reasonable quick and not much of a hassle.

#130120 - 04/14/08 04:13 PM Re: Swimng pool water [Re: big_al]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Local public health departments and some independent labs will test water for bacterial and chemical contamination and pronounce the source potable(or not).

Might be sensible to test your swimming pool water, water from your sump pump, and water from the nearest stream in preparation for use as a backup water source. In my experience, pools collect a lot of nastiness from the environment: bird poop, rodents, reptiles, dogs, cattle, acid rain, engine exhaust particulates, deodorant, sun screen...it is considerably easier to remove the bacteria than to remove the cows.That said, most of the rest of the world depends on water sources much more questionable than the pool.

After the cow fell in, we built a better fence.

#130123 - 04/14/08 04:28 PM Re: Swimng pool water [Re: nursemike]
HerbG Offline

Ok Nursemike, I have to ask. How did you get the cow out of the pool?

Thanks for reminding me of all those other nasties. I've also found dead rats, snakes (alive), dead baby rabbits, birds, and insects galore. No cows though!

#130135 - 04/14/08 06:15 PM Re: Swimng pool water [Re: big_al]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: big_al
I have 1500 gals. of swimming pool water in my back yard. What I would like to know is. Is the water save to drink for over an extended period?

I don't recall ever seeing a credible source say that drinking pool water "straight" was OK, particularly long term. I have only seen warnings to not drink pool water. You're not going to drop dead from drinking a mouthfull of it, although the pH and chemicals will likely irritate your GI tract and then you'll end up dehydrated because of vomiting or diarrhea, depending on how much you drink. There is also a lot of sodium in most pool water (just from the chemicals, not the salt in "salt water" pools), which will cause other problems. It's just not right for drinking.

Your average activated carbon filter probably does not filter out pool chemicals to any great degree. From a personal kit standpoint, I don't think anything short of RO or distillation would effectively get rid of the pool chemicals.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 474 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.