Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#129885 - 04/11/08 02:33 AM My off white box stove...
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
A while ago there was a post here about the White Box Stove . I was interested, so I obtained a couple of Bud aluminum beer bottles, and lugged them all over the western U.S. The other day I happened to have a little bit of time on my hands, so I finally got around to turning a bottle into a stove. I can't attach any pic, sorry, but I made the thing to look about like the one in the video. Tonight, after dark, I dumped about an ounce of yellow Heet into it (just a guestimate, based upon years of playing with soda can stoves), and lit it off. It took about 40 seconds for the central flame to emerge from the side burner holes, at which time I put my WallyWorld grease pot, containing two cups of tap water (fresh from the Colorado river) on top. Air temp about 70 degrees, no wind, no wind screen, no lid on the pot. Rolling boil in 3:40. Mucho faster than any soda can stove I have used (and I have made just about all of the various models around). I think I like it...

#129898 - 04/11/08 05:05 AM Re: My off white box stove... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Thanks now to find plans for this stove.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#129901 - 04/11/08 06:01 AM Re: My off white box stove... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
I own a White Box and your boil time sounds about the same as mine. I used alcohol in mine to test it, and the interior is designed for 1 or 2 oz. loads.

#129903 - 04/11/08 09:49 AM Re: My off white box stove... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
OBG, what are you using for fuel? Becuase this blows away my trangias.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#129909 - 04/11/08 12:49 PM Re: My off white box stove... [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Yellow Heet as fuel. Blew away any other "alcohol" stove I have ever made...

#129911 - 04/11/08 01:01 PM Re: My off white box stove... [Re: leemann]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Good luck finding plans. I can tell you how I made mine tho.

This aluminum is much tougher than a soda can, I doubt that it can be cut with a knife blade, so I used a cutoff wheel in my Dremel tool.

I cut the bottom off of the bottle, making it about 1 7/8" tall. Then you cut the mouth of the bottle off, this is a trial and error thing, you want the small end to just about reach the bottom of the stove while the shoulder of the neck part just touches the top of the stove. Once you get there, cut a couple of notches in the small end, to be sure that fuel can get into the double wall area. Once you have that fitted, cut the neck part off so that it is the same height as the top of the stove part. Then drill three 1/8" holes, evenly spaced, around the stove, thru both parts of course, for pop rivets. I put my rivet holes about 1/4" down from the top. Then come the burner holes. Mine are 1/6", because that is the smallest collet I have for my Dremel. I made them about 13/16" down from the top of the stove, 15 holes evenly spaced. Stove is now done.

Oh, before putting the parts together I used sand paper/emery cloth to remove the paint on the bottle. That was the hardest part of the whole thing, they used some tough paint on these bottles!

Then just put your fuel in, light it, wait for the flames to come out the burner holes, put your pot on top, and you are all set...

#129915 - 04/11/08 01:28 PM Re: My off white box stove... [Re: ironraven]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Are there plans posted anywhere on the internet for this, or should I just buy it?

I saw it several places on the internet for $20, which is certainly cheap enough.

I suppose that if I equate it with what my time is worth, it is far better than me trying to cut aluminum bottles apart with my swiss army knife!

#129923 - 04/11/08 02:21 PM Re: My off white box stove... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
Interesting stove which I haven't seen before.

I built and use a Penny stove (instructions here: http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html ) with SLX denatured ethanol. It's a simple stove, but there are a few tricky gotchas.

Have you ever built or used a Penny stove? If so, how does the White Box compare with it in construction and performance? The test results on the link posted above seem to put it about the same as the White Box.

Edited by ohiohiker (04/11/08 02:22 PM)

#129973 - 04/11/08 11:53 PM Re: My off white box stove... [Re: ohiohiker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I built one similar to the penny stove, mine had a t-nut in the top and a thumb screw that you removed to add fuel, then screwed back in to use the stove. This one is morebetter, plus the aluminum beer bottles are MUCH tougher than a soda can, so should be more indistructable...

#129979 - 04/12/08 12:21 AM Re: My off white box stove... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That material weight might be it's secret, less prone to deforming.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.