Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#130684 - 04/21/08 05:18 AM EDC for Flight Attendants
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
My wife is a Flight Attendant and I have been thinking about what sorts of EDC stuff would be good for her. She spends 2-3 nights in hotels out of town, and has to pass through a metal detector and DHS checkpoint every day going in to work.

What I have assembled for her thus far is:
Fox 40 whistle
6' duct tape
Photo II microlight
LED flashlight (I plan on getting here an E1E or E2E for this)
Small Brunton compass

It was a struggle getting her to carry this much (she doesn't like clutter she says). Any ideas on other things and some rationale behind it?

Thanks.

#130686 - 04/21/08 08:18 AM Re: EDC for Flight Attendants [Re: LeeG]
LED Offline
Veteran

Travel size Sewing Kit

Silk scarf/cotton bandana (Something she might actually wear or have on person. Can be used as improvised smoke filter, fire protection, wound management, etc.)

Small FAK (bandaids, gauze, antiseptic wipes, nitrile gloves, imodium, etc.)

Safety pins

6ft+ paracord

Nail Clippers

4" zip ties

Pre-paid calling card

Pack-flat N95 mask

Thats off the top of my head. This stuff takes up very little space.

#130690 - 04/21/08 11:46 AM Re: EDC for Flight Attendants [Re: LeeG]
HerbG Offline

"It was a struggle getting her to carry this much........."

If it were me, I'd involve her in selecting what she is going to carry rather than selecting things that she had already indicated that she doesn't want. Based on your description, I have the impression you are sold on an EDC kit, but you wife isn't interested.

#130692 - 04/21/08 12:28 PM Re: EDC for Flight Attendants [Re: LED]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
All of your items were what came to mind for me. I suspect that, in the event of an unscheduled off airport landing (pretty words for a crash), there would be emergency supplies available, or her personal stuff would be lost onboard anyway (I don't think that she could carry her "kit" while actually working while inflight). What she needs is something to get her to and from a hotel, and while in her room, and that she can actually carry onboard. Sewing kit and FAK come to my mind first...

#130704 - 04/21/08 02:36 PM Re: EDC for Flight Attendants [Re: OldBaldGuy]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Some good ideas there LED. My concern isn't for when she's at or near the plane - they have more emergency gear than most of us will ever dream of - it is for when she's at the hotels and off duty in another city.

Self defense items are out since she can't get them through security. She has had problems in the past with power outages in hotels, ripped luggage and ripped luggage, hence the lights and tape. She reads her work related message boards and some of the things that other people have gone through are pretty scary.

#130712 - 04/21/08 04:15 PM Re: EDC for Flight Attendants [Re: LeeG]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
FWIW, I took paramedic shears through many security checkpoints on a Hawaii trip last year. You can do a lot of useful work with these shears. Security only looked at them in one place. My standard-size deodorant bar got more attention.

#130716 - 04/21/08 05:02 PM Re: EDC for Flight Attendants [Re: LeeG]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
power outages in hotels

Battery alarm clock that will get her up.

#130754 - 04/22/08 03:46 AM Re: EDC for Flight Attendants [Re: LeeG]
CBTENGR Offline

Just thought I'd give my two cents as someone who has worked with the airline business on the LE side:

There is no point in EDCing anything that you would think is worth while in a normal environment (I.E. KNIFE, FIRESTARTING DEVICE).

To me it seems you are looking for things that she can use when off the airplane. In that case it would also matter if she flies international flights.

Maps and phone numbers for local services are most important. There is no sense carrying tons of gear for CONUS when your stuck in Bali.

If your wife is not quite into preparedness and you can't get her to agree with your list, there are two things I would take off right away:

Compass
Surefire E1 or E2

The compass is only useful if you know how to use it, and in most cases only useful if you have a map.

The Surefire is only useful if you train with it as a self defense tool.

I would recommend the following items in addition to what you have listed, as well as other posts:

(2)prepaid credit cards with $50.00 each
(1) $50.00 US currency
(2) $20.00 US currency
(2) $10.00 US currency
(5) $5.00 US currency
(10) $1.00 US currency
(2) prepaid calling cards with at least one having international capability
(2) sets of all identification and medical needs/insurance other than originals: (1) photocopy, (1) flash drive
Phone numbers for at least (2) travel agencies CONUS and (3) OCONUS
If traveling OCONUS, phone numbers/addresses for all Consulates and/or Embassies both US and allied.

The money can be split up between luggage and on the person, but the first two listed denominations will be able to pay for at least one night in a safe hotel OCONUS. The rest can be used for food and other needs. Any country will take US dollars. Although you may get screwed dealing in Europe (Euros are generally better accepted) it's worth the hassle.

Hope this helps....

#130755 - 04/22/08 05:23 AM Re: EDC for Flight Attendants [Re: CBTENGR]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: CBTENGR
The Surefire is only useful if you train with it as a self defense tool.

I've got to disagree here. There have been many times when I've been happy to have a flashlight in my purse.

The most dramatic example was leading a group of people down eight flights of stairs during an apartment building fire. The emergency lights didn't come on, so it was pitch black in the interior stairwell.

A more mundane example would be earlier tonight, when I had to use a restroom where the lightbulb had burned out. It was also pitch black inside the restroom, and I didn't want to fall in. I clipped the LED light to my shirt, and no problem.

You could argue that it's overpriced/overkill -- the flashlight I used tonight was a Photon X-Light Micro LED flashlight, which was perfectly acceptable. During the fire I definitely wished I had a better flashlight. A LED flashlight wouldn't cut it in that circumstance -- I think I was using a 2-AA Maglite at the time, and that was barely adequate.

She might appreciate the Surefire if one of those hotels had a fire alarm go off at 3:00AM, and she needed to get down ten flights of stairs to get out.

#130757 - 04/22/08 07:13 AM Re: EDC for Flight Attendants [Re: HerbG]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: HerbG
"It was a struggle getting her to carry this much........."

If it were me, I'd involve her in selecting what she is going to carry rather than selecting things that she had already indicated that she doesn't want. Based on your description, I have the impression you are sold on an EDC kit, but you wife isn't interested.

i agrea, it's a bit like a woman trying to get a guy in to the shoe thing. Would you like it, if your wife would force you in to designer shoes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.