Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#130596 - 04/20/08 12:52 AM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: samhain]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I agree. Mine are still getting used (and I don't drink an ungodly amount from them). And besides, I've already put too much of an investment in the ones that I have (I've got four 1L bottles along with 4 little flasks that go in each pouch on the outside of my rucksack). Anybody can die at any time, not just from BPA. You could die in a car wreck or just get a brain anuyerism (sp-whatever you get the point) at home. I could have died from something hitting my head, had the earthquake here in Indiana the other day been any worse.

So needless to say the whole Nalgene/BPA/OMFG deal is inside my circle of concern a little bit, but not affecting my circle of influence.

#130600 - 04/20/08 02:21 AM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
weldon Offline
Journeyman

Looked on Nalgene's website and they are offering bottles made out of eastman plastic or some such. BPA free and looks and feels like polycarbonate. Now you can have the best of both worlds wink

#130609 - 04/20/08 12:39 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: samhain]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
How 'bout a plain old USGI plastic canteen??? I wonder about that plastic now...

#130618 - 04/20/08 02:16 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: Matt26]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I"ll still be using mine every day. I've been picking up a few with every pay check, it's still the best bottle I've found. This is the new aluminum scare- the EU looked it and gave it a resounding "no big deal".

I think my opinion of the BPA issue with adults can be best summed up with a quote from my DGF- "[Raven] drinks about a gallon a day from Nalgenes- if they've effected his hormones or sex drive, he's hiding it really well." I don't like it for baby bottles, or pretty much anyone smaller than a large dog, but once your out of puberty, it isn't an issue. Cancer risk, maybe, but everything causes cancer. There are going to whine and legislate everything- next thing you know they'll be mother henning us about chromium contamination from stainless steel containers. They did the same thing about copper kettles back in the 50s, but without the appeals to Aunt Sam.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#130624 - 04/20/08 02:58 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: samhain]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I've always been interested in these SIGG bottles, but thought they were pretty expensive. That's the only drawback I can see.

Their fuel bottles are tough as heck. I imagine these would be too.

They're also much lighter than plastic. And at the end of their life, they can be recycled easily.

I've seen cheaper knock-offs, but I wouldn't buy one. Heaven knows what they're using for the coating.

#130636 - 04/20/08 06:17 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: dougwalkabout]
sodak Offline
Addict

I just went and bought a few more, so hopefully, I'll have enough for a long, long time. I love the Nalgene polycarb's, and ain't too worried about what they did to release the "bad, bad" chemicals. Are all the outdoor stores going to pull all the lexan coffee cups they offer?

I would be interested in steel or alum if they were single walled, so that you could boil water in it. That would be nice.

#130651 - 04/20/08 10:30 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: ]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i never got into the Nalgene craze. I picked up one of the sports bottles because it's more durable than the typical disposable water bottle, but for camping, hiking, etc i always use the old steel canteen my grandpa gave me, and i'll continue to do so.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#130708 - 04/21/08 03:59 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Glass? That's right it is a bit on the fragile side. I guess we'll have wait for NASA to come up with some cool alternative.

#130761 - 04/22/08 12:52 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: MoBOB]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I'll keep mine. Heck, I'm drinking out of one as I type. Carry it to work every day for water.

So far there seem to be little sound science behind this (as usual). There are possibilities and conjecture, and a healthy dose of media sensationalism. We have seen this over and over, from saccarin, to DDT, even eggs.

The fact is that plain old water has killed more people than any of these. Heck, millions of people have died because we banned DDT.

Guess I need to go buy a few more bottles. Maybe there will be some good deals on them. Another decent product doomed by ignorance. Sigh...

Greg

#130764 - 04/22/08 01:11 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: Matt26]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I wonder if anyone has done any testing on insulated plastic water jugs, any size from a qt. to the five gallon models???

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.