The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#130768 - 04/22/08 01:43 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: Greg_Sackett]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Greg_Sackett

Guess I need to go buy a few more bottles. Maybe there will be some good deals on them. Another decent product doomed by ignorance. Sigh...

I was at the MEC 2 days ago and they've already pulled their entire inventory. They only had hydration bladders (so I bought a new Source 3L bladder). I suspect they'll have Nalgene back on the menu once they get the BPA free versions in stock or something like the SIGG bottles.

It's not the first time MEC has done this...they tried it last year when the hype first started.

#130792 - 04/22/08 07:09 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
MEC's polycarbonate stock was pulled quite a while ago. Everything else has been stripped bare (media hype rush etc.). Five days ago there were a couple dozen Nalgene HDPE bottles, a few clear and the rest opaque reddish (read: butt-ugly). I put my snout in one and got that old familiar HDPE smell I remember so well. But check out their website: lots of cool new products coming.

Like I said before, I'll keep my polycarbonate stuff for occasional use. The risk is likely a lot less than talking on a cell phone while driving.

An interesting link to a CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) web feature on BPA: http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourinterview/2008/04/bisphenol_a.html . Love 'em or hate 'em, the CBC jealously guards its independence from government and corporate interests, so they're not shilling for anybody. It's a bit of a hype-deflating piece.

Edited by dougwalkabout (04/22/08 07:11 PM)

#130794 - 04/22/08 07:22 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: dougwalkabout]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Great article.

I especially like the part where he says there is no evidence of long term effects for people working with BPA where direct exposure an inhalation can occur.

It's also nice to know that this same stuff is used in can liners. Cans are heated in the canning process and then store food for long periods of time...many times acidic food. If these bottles should be pulled from shelves so should canned food LOL.

#130798 - 04/22/08 07:38 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re acidic food -- the other casualty is a nice Aussie Shiraz carried to a remote campsite in a Nalgene polycarb, and produced with a flourish alongside the evening's one-pot-glop entree. In mixed company, this has been famously effective. Need a new shameless ploy now. :-)

#130801 - 04/22/08 07:52 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: ]
GeoEarthSensei Offline
Stranger

Nalgene has handled this beautifully. Rather than trying to defend their product, or dispute the science, they voluntarily remove their stock from the shelves. Now, instead of being seen as distributers an evil cancer causing agent, they act quickly and are seen as good corporate citizens looking out for our collective best interest.

Able to maintian their customer base thanks to their quick action, Nalgene rushes their new BPA-Free "Tritan Everyday" product line to shelves. Everyone throws away their polycarb bottles and heads out to pick up a replacement. Oh, and it's the familiar, friendly shape and is odor free. Everyone drops ten bucks a pop on new bottles from the people we trust.

Kudos to Nalgene for turning a potential PR and sales nightmare into profit.

Edited by GeoEarthSensei (04/22/08 10:43 PM)
Edit Reason: Left out an "r"

#130830 - 04/23/08 12:27 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: GeoEarthSensei]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I agree it's smooth...it's too bad they're promoting the myth and filling their pockets at the same time.

#130860 - 04/23/08 04:35 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Those who refuse to learn for themselves must pay. I guess I'll go back to my pewter and tin bottles for water storage now.

Someday they're gonna tell us there's a glass shortage cuz we're running out of sand, or that aluminum foil is going up in price because the global demand for aluminum is exceeding the supply. The sad thing is you could say that today and a lot of people would believe it was true

#130865 - 04/23/08 05:02 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
What about common sense? From what I've seen there is no shortage. I'm sure there is alot still on the shelves because not many people are using it....

#130881 - 04/23/08 08:00 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
It's like that "underground" website for climate change that now is known as DailyKos.com the time they said that there was only enough coal left in the World for maybe twenty more years. But in reality there alone in the Smoky Mountains enough for the next 100 years. Not to mention all that oil we're not drilling for....but I agree with not drilling it. Wait till our enemies can't pump it anymore and then sell it back to them at a massive profit. That's a good FU to the enemy. I like that plan.

<sarcasm>
Yeah! Just keep buying it from the Canadians instead.
</sarcasm>

All fun aside I keep seeing adverts on american TV for 'clean coal'...seems like an oxymoron but living in Alberta I don't know squat about coal.

#130901 - 04/23/08 11:52 PM Re: Nalgene to stop production [Re: cfraser]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: cfraser
There's talk of banning them in Canada this week. Some large chains/stores are offering refunds already, plus stopping sales.

I have two new Nalgenes, never used one before, always used SIGG aluminum. I'm not worried, I'll use the Nalgenes if I feel like it, I'm already "old" and not in any of the danger categories and there's plenty of bad crap already in the tap water.

Canadian stores already pull these bottles from the shelves. Major retailers have also canceled the sale of these bottles.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 109 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.