Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#130419 - 04/17/08 05:12 PM Re: Martial arts for a 3-yr old? [Re: Nishnabotna]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Since we ressurected the thread, how about an update on what you actually decided to do?

I told DD1, "Watch and learn" then snuck up behind DW, tackled her and began tickling her.

Ah, the pains a father will endure for his children...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#130420 - 04/17/08 05:12 PM Re: Martial arts for a 3-yr old? [Re: Blast]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Very nice....

#130445 - 04/17/08 11:39 PM Re: Martial arts for a 3-yr old? [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Let's see... At the pint size, scream, bite, kick, run like hell variety.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#130447 - 04/17/08 11:47 PM Re: Martial arts for a 3-yr old? [Re: Blast]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
As far as Japanese martial arts goes, I would avoid anything that ends with "do" which means "the way of" and rather choose the "jutsu" variation which means "the art of".

The difference is that jutsu martial arts are more genuine and closer to their true martial (war) origins while the "do" versions are more adapted to competition thus they left out lethal techniques in favor of sports.

A good example would be Kendo versus Kenjutsu. In Kendo they use light bamboos to fight, while in Kenjutsu they practice more with a real sword and you get used to the weight of the real sword.

Same thing for Judo versus Jujutsu. For serious self defense purposes I would go with Jujutsu where you learn really dangerous tricks while in Judo they removed these tricks so that competition and olympiads are safer.

The one exeption would be Aikido because there's always a simulating aggressor so it's closer to self-defense because they use real life situations.

I would avoid Korean Taikwondo, it's really based around combat competition nowadays where the goal is to gaining points instead of pragmatically neutralize your aggressor and they really favor kicks instead of punches because it originates from a nordic environment with vast valleys and plenty of room for acrobatic kicks and they also had to deal with horse riders. Southern styles like chinese kungfu favors punches and low kicks because they would fight in more cluttered environments like on boats and quays, and would be more suitable for urban self-defense.

But 3 years old is young. I would go for generic self-defense classes aimed at young children.

#130454 - 04/18/08 12:51 AM Re: Martial arts for a 3-yr old? [Re: Frankie]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
But 3 years old is young. I would go for generic self-defense classes aimed at young children.

What's scary is she's less than two months away from turning five now. Damn, who sped up the Universe!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#130457 - 04/18/08 01:00 AM Re: Martial arts for a 3-yr old? [Re: Blast]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Blast,

I think they kicked in warp drive. My oldest is now 11 (almost 12) but it seems like just yesterday they were born! I won't have even figured out how to be a Dad and they will be on their own. Maybe you figure out what to do when you have grandkids?

#130459 - 04/18/08 01:09 AM Re: Martial arts for a 3-yr old? [Re: Frankie]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Originally Posted By: Frankie

I would avoid Korean Taikwondo, it's really based around combat competition nowadays

Depends on the instructor. While many North American-trained instructors are pushing the sport rather than the martial art, there are still true practitioners out there, usually older Korean men who are first-generation immigrants.

The Grandmaster from whom I learned was a South Korean army instructor first, and he never forgot it. While the kids' classes still focused on the fun, the advanced adult classes were a whole different animal. Bruises and the occasional bloody nose and loosened tooth were teaching tools, and "light contact" could mean anything short of broken ribs.

I got knocked around (when others' control slipped), knocked people around (when mine was lacking) and learned that getting hit hard really doesn't hurt until later.

TKD does lack a close-combat function, but most Grandmasters know hapkido (borrowed aikido that is much less pretty and focuses on crippling rather than submission) and a lot of them have a bit of judo as well. I'd love to find a good judo instructor, but it's hard in a rural area.

Edited by jaywalke (04/18/08 10:11 AM)

#130475 - 04/18/08 07:41 AM Re: Martial arts for a 3-yr old? [Re: Frankie]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Frankie

Same thing for Judo versus Jujutsu. For serious self defense purposes I would go with Jujutsu where you learn really dangerous tricks while in Judo they removed these tricks so that competition and olympiads are safer.

Depends on your view - although the skillset in judo is restricted, it is honed through plenty of mat time, and reasonably safely.

Consequently, most judoka can pull off their techniques under pressure against someone who is resisting.

(I am aware that this is a big issue of contention in the martial arts - read Matt Thorntons view on 'Aliveness' on the SBGi website for one side of the discussion.)

#130476 - 04/18/08 11:22 AM Re: Martial arts for a 3-yr old? [Re: bigreddog]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I'd interject here about comparison of the various disciplines, but then it will start to sound like those old B&W Hong Kong movies:

"Your fu is no good, my master's 'kicking crane' fu will destroy your worthless 'tiger paw' fu."

#130487 - 04/18/08 03:11 PM Re: Martial arts for a 3-yr old? [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
It's like this....you will use what you know, use it with the greatest intensity (force) to get the situation resolved, regardless of style, technique, ancientness, sportiness, combat-effectiveness, or whatever. These various skills are no different than the EDC/PSK you carry. You have to make do with whatever you have.

Final note: We were talking about a 3-yr old, now 5-yr old. They need to learn to make alot of noise when approached by a stranger and run like mad when they do.

Edited by MoBOB (04/18/08 03:11 PM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.