The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#130265 - 04/16/08 10:47 AM SIGG canteen
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Does anyone have the 1940 replica SIGG Canteen? This one I'm curious if the cup that comes with it will stand up to being heated over a stove.

#130266 - 04/16/08 10:53 AM Re: SIGG canteen [Re: AROTC]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
"Cheaper Than Dirt" has the military surplus SIGG's for sale.

#130267 - 04/16/08 11:22 AM Re: SIGG canteen [Re: wildman800]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
I have that canteen, but never tried tried to use the cup over a stove/fire just yet - but I don't see an issue. Its my edc to work, and a perfect size to be sitting on my desk. As a side note: it does look a bit like a flask, and can't tell you how many times people ask what spirits I have in it!

I even emailed customer support to find out what kind of metal the cup is, and if they recommend such a task... They kept mentioning the steel in the canteen (stainless steel and now aluminum oval bottles). I couldn't get an answer to my question, so I gave up.

Sorry, No help... But it is a cool product.

#130298 - 04/16/08 02:25 PM Re: SIGG canteen [Re: AROTC]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i just had a look at mine.the cup is in two parts with the
base "glued" in with some sort of tan colored, epoxy??..i have
had many hot drinks out of that cup but never put it over
a campstove flame--however..the surplus canteen --the one with
the cork stopper--has a cup stamped from one piece of aluminum
and i have boiled water over a wood fire with no problem..i did
that when i was looking for a container that i could cook in
for my Ditch Vest PFD--

#130315 - 04/16/08 05:08 PM Re: SIGG canteen [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Yeah, looking at it on closer inspection, my cup is in two parts as well. Though it looks like it was 'welded' (for lack of a better explanation) on then grinded clean - you can see the grinder marks as they were done evenly. But it does have a faint 'tan' colour for the seam.

#130321 - 04/16/08 06:17 PM Re: SIGG canteen [Re: AROTC]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi AROTC,

The metal cup is oval shaped and is 6 cm (minor axis) and 10 cm (major axis) and will hold about 400ml of water to boil safely . The cup is formed from 2 pieces of stainless steel. The oval base of the cup has be brazed to the wall of the cup with what looks like nickel bronze (white yellow metal). So it should be able to boil water without any problems. The main problem is stable the cup will sit on your stove due to the 6cm by 10cm oval dimensions. This will depend on your make and model of stove. Also because of the oval shape, boiling water isn't going to be very efficient either. As the cup is a single walled metal cup I would'nt recommend it for drinking hot drinks from directly.

The Sigg Bottle I have is also manufactured from Stainless Steel and powder coated on the outside. If your are going to purchase the Sigg water bottle and cup set then I would also recommend purchasing the neoprene cover as well. The neoprene cover helps keep liquids cooler for longer and helps stops the bottle from getting dented.

The Sigg Bottle is very stylish and is great for carrying a good malt whisky in the wilderness being both lighter and more durable than the glass bottle alternative. Pouring a malt from a plastic platypus bag just doesn't have the same effect. wink

#130329 - 04/16/08 07:32 PM Re: SIGG canteen [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington

The new version Sigg oval with cup is quite nice. Both are stainless, yet I see that an aluminum oval bottle is now available.

I can easily drink hot liquids from the stainless cup....not an issue at all. I have not cooked in it yet.

The old surplus 1940 version is aluminum including the cup. I have a more recent version with a plastic bottle and aluminum cup....hot as hades to drink from.

Sigg has an awfully nice new .4L Vintage Flask....just perfect for a single malt. I saw this posted on another forum and had one in minutes....I really like this stainless flask.

#130363 - 04/17/08 02:16 AM Re: SIGG canteen [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Pouring a malt from a plastic platypus bag just doesn't have the same effect. wink

It's all about the attitude, AFLM. If James Bond can look cool in a turtleneck, there's hope for me and my plastic bag full of bourbon.

I hope.

#130364 - 04/17/08 02:19 AM Re: SIGG canteen [Re: jaywalke]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Hey, a toddy in a Camelbak bladder may not look cool, but you get the same kick...

#130394 - 04/17/08 01:53 PM Re: SIGG canteen [Re: OldBaldGuy]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

Sigg has a great design team that creates beautiful and functional products. I've yet to be disappointed with anything by Sigg, I have quite a few bottles as well as some boxes and a cutlery set. I do not have the silver flask however; soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.