Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#130192 - 04/15/08 12:34 PM mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist?
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Since I upgraded my Mini Mag to the 1 Watt LED and with the IQ switch, both from Nite-IZE, I've fallen in love with it all over again. It had been collecting dust for quite some time and now I'm carrying it everywhere.

Since it's such a popular flashlight and since it's been around for so long, there are a few other accessories I'm looking for but one in particular I just can't find anywhere...maybe you folks could help.

A diffuser. You'd think it would be easy to find but I'm not sure they even exist.

Either something that pops on over top of the business end or a replacement lens. The LED can't really be focused the way the old bulb could and the LED beam has a pretty hefty hot spot in the center. Ideally, I'd like to find a replacement lens in the Fresnel style (looks sorta like a honeycomb).

Also, if you guys know of any good sources for Mag lite accessories, that would be awesome.

#130194 - 04/15/08 12:47 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
The ones for fenix flashlights look like they will fit on a mag lite.

#130196 - 04/15/08 12:50 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I tried one of the Nite-ize conversions to a mini-mag and didn't like it at all. I ended up buying one of the Mini-mag led lights and am very happy with it. Bright, no dark spot in the middle, on accidental on-off, and only $20. But as for a diffuser lense, haven't seen one. I supposed you could take a diffuser from a USGI flashlight and cut it down to fit, but I haven't tried it...

#130204 - 04/15/08 01:34 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
OBG, I have taken 1 of the red lens from a US mil flashlight & have cut it down for my mini-mag lite. It works great!!!

#130218 - 04/15/08 03:25 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: ]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Over on candlepowerforums, some of the things people used to do was to use the Palm Pilot screen protectors, or tape Scotch tape (I believe they had a favorite for the effect - that would call for a search on CPF) over lenses. You could perhaps get a Minimag accessory kit, with the colored and clear extra lenses and the rubber bezel cover. Then, you could put diffuser material of your choice on the spare clear lens, and keep it on with the bezel cover, then remove it when you want an undiffused beam.

Good luck
sick mad
Dave
(my kids demanded I add a smiley for each of them)

#130222 - 04/15/08 04:31 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: DaveT]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: DaveT
...use the Palm Pilot screen protectors, or tape Scotch tape (I believe they had a favorite for the effect - that would call for a search on CPF) over lenses.

+1 for these cheap, workable solutions. The PDA screen protectors are more durable and can be easily removed, unlike tape, but both work. Regarding the tape, although I haven't tried many kinds, there was a "satin" type, meant for gift wrapping, I think, that seemed the smoothest on an old Mini Mag I tried a long time ago.

#130229 - 04/15/08 07:07 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: ]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Try google search : Terralux L.E.D. for AA Maglite. I have one in mine. Very powerful, focusable. Not cheap (quality never is)but seems to generate light levels comparable to Surefire. Has something like a 20hr runtime/10,000 hr service lifetime. That's against 2.5hrs for Both batteries and bulb for halogen.

#130235 - 04/15/08 11:14 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Yup, PDA screen protectors work great, have them on all my flashlights, eliminates the "patterns" many bulbs give and smooths out the LED patterns too. And protects the lens. Problem is, the monochrome screen protectors are the ones you really want, work far better than the ones for color screens. Haven't seen monochrome screen protectors for years when most places cleared them out. But the ones shaped to fit some discontinued color PDA should be cheap and worth a try, might need two layers, one rotated 90 degrees.

#130236 - 04/15/08 11:16 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: cfraser]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That's the most frugal tip I've heard in a while. It's not permanent, and I have tons of them around.

#130252 - 04/16/08 02:13 AM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The screen protectors work surprisingly well. Not what I'd call ideal but amazing results for the low low cost of free!

Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.