Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#118940 - 01/05/08 01:25 PM Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The problems with bugging out:

Under Martial Law conditions-
1) Slow movement due to the need to remain concealed from law enforcement and military units (avoid being forced into a "Refugee Camp").

2) Slow movement due to need to avoid "Brigands".

3) Forced to leave food and other resources behind. (if local authorities hadn't already been informed of your "hoarding" and seized it already).
3a) "Hoard" the majority of food and resources at the bug out location.

4) The need to maintain a 24/7 security/defensive watch/tactics while on the move and in encampment.

Without Martial Law restrictions:
1) Slow movement due to need to avoid "Brigands".

2) Forced to leave food and other resources behind. (if local authorities hadn't already been informed of your "hoarding" and seized it already or from lack of carrying capacity).
2a) "Hoard" the majority of food and resources at the bug out location.

3) The need to maintain a 24/7 security/defensive watch/tactics while on the move and in encampment.

What other hazards does bugging out under a semi-hostile environment incur?

#118948 - 01/05/08 02:51 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: wildman800]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The cart's before the horse. Could you define Martial Law Conditions.

#118983 - 01/05/08 11:23 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: Russ]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
I'll define Martial Law as I saw it carried out under Katrina conditions:

1) No open possession of firearms
2) No movement after dark
3) No "groups" of citizens (more than 3) ever
4) etc, etc.

You can add to this: cops/soldiers/etc. can take from you whatever you have, for any reason. Any disobedience will be met with force and/or relocation (sans gear).

Basically, suspension of constitutional amendments--no one will argue your right to be "free" as long as you do what they say smile

#119020 - 01/06/08 04:34 AM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: Russ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Mine isn't a legal definition, but a practical one:

You have infantry and armoured vehicles patrolling the streets and securing "critical points", with civilian law enforcement either out of the picture or reduced to a secondary force. And if someone in uniform decides to arrest you, they do- if they decide you are resisting, you are. And the courts don't get a hell of a lot to say about it until MAYBE long after.

Remember, cops aren't soldiers; soldiers aren't cops. Soldiers do not know nor care a whole lot about the law, only maintaining order on the principle that when things are out of order they are in danger. And no offense to anyone here, but I've known a lot of Gaurdies (who would be among the mostly likely troops called out for ML) who I don't trust with a loaded baseball bat, much less a rifle. If seeing infantry on the street of an American town doesn't scare the poop out of you, it should.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#119028 - 01/06/08 10:19 AM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: ironraven]
Onedzguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lost in Waipahu, HI
Need to know the circumstances that brought out this martial law.
Was it a hurricane as Billy has mention? Or a Tsunami in the Pacific or Indonesia. An earthquake like in San Fransisco? Or an erupting volcano like Mt ST. Helen? How about a riot in Los Angles that happened many years ago?

#119030 - 01/06/08 11:35 AM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: ironraven]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Agreed, and I would be offended if I hadn't spent more than half my time on active duty smile

--Former Guardie

At least they're not as bad as the "La Guardia" of certain South American countries...

#119134 - 01/07/08 02:52 AM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: NeighborBill]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Along with the guys I don't trust with a baseball bat, I know a lot of guys in the Guard I'd trust with the lives of those who are important to me. I'm just saying there are some sketchy people who are a war crime waiting to happen.

And I've had friends who are in the Guard and Reserve, and even active duty, who've told me they are afraid of what would happen if a "peace support operation" was to be conducted in the States right now. They consider it a given that if it were to happen at this moment, there would be bad results.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#119158 - 01/07/08 01:12 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Okay so now we have an idea of what martial law means regarding who, but what are they really doing? As for the original question:
Quote:
The problems with bugging out:

Under Martial Law conditions-
1) Slow movement due to the need to remain concealed from law enforcement and military units (avoid being forced into a "Refugee Camp").

2) Slow movement due to need to avoid "Brigands".

3) Forced to leave food and other resources behind. (if local authorities hadn't already been informed of your "hoarding" and seized it already).
3a) "Hoard" the majority of food and resources at the bug out location.

4) The need to maintain a 24/7 security/defensive watch/tactics while on the move and in encampment.
While all of the above may be true, I don't think that any of the above is necessarily true, although 4) is always a good idea regardless. As always, if you're going to bug-out, do so early.

#120204 - 01/15/08 10:53 AM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: Onedzguy]
Madbomber_Mike Offline
Journeyman

Loc: The End of the World, Iraq
As someone who was in LA in '92, I can give a little input.
One, as we saw there, the Guard was overwhelmed immediately and would have required at least another week to move enough assets into the area. We (thew active Army and Marines) were ordered to immediately move in and enforce the declaration of martial law. Which we did. As I remember, the only ones that got their rights stepped on, were the doofus gang bangers that took pot shots at us...Up armored HMMWV w M60 machinegun vs lowrider w Tec-9 ..... you do the math!
There, the Gulf Coast, and here in Iraq, we have had no orders respecting hoarding. Privately owned and legal weapons in the US were fine as long as they were in your home or business, regardless of how many. We even let numerous people go with concealed carry with legal permits, or on a case by case basis.
Of course here, we only allow 1 AK per home.

By the way, we hate being there more that you hate us being there, we just want to get back home with as little fuss as possible... intact preferably. We are'nt cops, by a long shot!

Cheers

#120399 - 01/16/08 02:55 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: Madbomber_Mike]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Hint: Bug out before martial law sets in.
Supportive fact: They want to enslave you.
Method: Prepare now!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 428 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.