Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#129642 - 04/09/08 12:15 AM Re: E2e upgrade ? [Re: NAro]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
the C3 is a good torch i have 11 of them in 1 xAA and 2 x AA config's.

few words of warning the last few i have got have been the stainless steel version first one was fine the next 2 where aweful.

the P4 version is the better model as in the link above, 1 x enelooplasts about 90 minutes the 2 x version last about 4 hours with 2 eneloops.

http://www.light-reviews.com/uf_c3/review.html

2 x AA version

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4452

i like the 2 x aa version as it gives me the choice of config's for afew dollars more.

#130013 - 04/12/08 05:39 PM Re: E2e upgrade ? [Re: Jackal]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Speaking of upgrades I just went out and upgraded my Mini Maglight. It already had the NITE-IZE LED bulb with 3x5mm LEDs in it but that wasn't enough to get me to carry it all the time as the beam wasn't very directed or very bright. Today I picked up the 1 Watt NITE-IZE bulb and the tail cap button switch.

Wow, what a difference! I especially like the fact that you can reduce the intensity and that there's a slow flashing red LED in the switch to help you find it in the dark (every time I drop something black in the bush at night I swear I'll never buy black gadgets again...but I do!)

And the fact that there is now two switches is a total bonus. I can't tell you how many times a Maglight has turned on in my bag from bumping around only to be dead when I get to where I'm going. Less a problem since I went to LED but still annoying.

#130016 - 04/12/08 06:18 PM Re: E2e upgrade ? [Re: ]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK

#130031 - 04/12/08 09:19 PM Re: E2e upgrade ? [Re: LED]
BrianWorf Offline
Stranger

Loc: Arlington, Texas, USA
This last week, our Target store (Arlington Texas) had the maglight C or D cell LED conversion bulb that normally sells for 10$ on clearance for $2.68. These bulbs are fairly bright and actually will work in just about any light that is in the 3 to 12 volt range. Brand is Nite-Ize. I've been using these bulbs for years in maglights, and other D-cell lights with never a failure and great battery life. I bought all the bulbs thet had at this Target, and upgraded a couple more lights around the house.

#130032 - 04/12/08 09:20 PM Re: E2e upgrade ? [Re: BrianWorf]
BrianWorf Offline
Stranger

Loc: Arlington, Texas, USA
They also had the Nite-Ize mini maglight upgrade kit on clearance for $2.68.

#130201 - 04/15/08 01:20 PM Re: E2e upgrade ? [Re: BrianWorf]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Well folks, as I sit here with an extra lg Tim hortens coffee not willing to start work yet I figured I may as well let everyone know about this situ.(I doubt anyone cares but I am bored......Stupid desk job) mad

After reading everyone's replies and doing my research I have decided to replace my sure-fire E2E with the fenix L2D as my work/on-duty EDC flashlight. After some recommendations from the good people on the forum and chatting with MDinana, Hacksaw and a few other chaps on PM.

Here's why:

-sure-fire KL4 bezel was 151 bucks(cheap as I could find it in Canada) Not including shipping etc, AND this is just for the stupid bezel.

-100 lumen output with only an on and off position. 1 Hour of max input with 2 more hours of usable light.

- The L2D has an adjustable output(6 settings) of 12 -180 lumens. This is excellent range for my use and will be good for normal tasks as well as extended searches in dark places while on the job. on low setting you get 50 plus hours of use.

-It comes with a holster, 2 spare 0-rings, a spare tail cap, and a lanyard. I ordered 2 extra red filters, 2 cone diffusers, and a orange tail cap and with shipping it still only cost 90 bucks.

-It is still aircraft grade alum,(rugged)compact enough for EDC in uniform(147mm) and has scratch resistant lenses. It is fairly waterproof according to all the reviews from other forums.

-The biggest seller for me was the fact that it uses AA batteries instead of the CR123A used in the sure-fire. True, the 123A is a more efficient battery but they are very hard to come across depending on where you are(I had a real hard time finding these overseas) The good old AA batteries are cheap and found everywhere which makes them the best choice for me. As an EDC light and when backed up by my M3 and the 500 lumen sure-fire monster in my locker this should fill the gap in my current requirements for a good, small, reliable EDC light with my faithful pellican L1 as a last resort(always on my keychain)

Of course the biggest test will be when I actually gets the thing to put through its paces myself. In the meantime I think it was money well spent.

For all who replied with advice, thank you

Edited by Taurus (04/15/08 01:23 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.