Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#129958 - 04/11/08 08:23 PM My New Gerber LMF II !
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA
Heyas,

Well i finally got in my very first fixed blade knife!
After doing a LOT of research online, and networking, I decided on the Black Gerber LMF II, Infantry. I think i looked around for at least a year for my knife of choice.

A few observations:
1. The blade came sharp, right out of the box. I could shave my arm hairs with it! smirk My only thought here was i would have preferred the saw edge to have been on the back of the blade instead. I prefer a straight edge.
2. It came wit two beautifull leg/calf straps. Best straps i've ever seen! Very Durable. Hold very tight on my thigh with no slippage.
3. The sheath is very robust. It has a unique kydex knife fastener clip that firmy holds the knife in place, and two handle straps. The bottom strap was very tight to snap around the handle until i adjusted the sheath a bit. With the kydex clip i really doubt the need for the straps. The thumb clip is a positive locking 'click when the knife is put away. The sheath has a built in sharpener, saving the need for a 'pocket stone' pouch on the sheath. A lot of optional strap holes, and attatchment points allows for multiple carry options. The sheath is ambidextrous for the lefties. wink Only thing it needs now is a mount for a flint striker! wink
4. When drawn, i noticed that the handle is very comfortable. It feels like an extension of my hand. The grip has an almost 'sticky' feeling to it, even when wet.
5. The knife is not bad balance wise, but it is a bit pommel heavy which is good for pommel impacts! I think i would have preferred a flat end instead of a point, for use for hammering.
The pommel lanyard hole was a bonus, and looks very strong. Now i have to go out and get a lanyard dammit! wink

For the price i paid, i think i did well. Now all i need it to make an excuse to use it! wink

peace
al

Attachments
HPIM0026.JPG

HPIM0030.JPG

HPIM0032.JPG

#129959 - 04/11/08 08:33 PM Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! [Re: TrailDemon]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Welcome to the LMF II club wink

#129961 - 04/11/08 08:36 PM Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! [Re: ]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

*whimpers*
I want one too......but the misses wont let me buy yet another knife. Gonna have to start saving nickles and dimes behind her back.

-Bill Liptak

#129963 - 04/11/08 08:57 PM Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! [Re: TrailDemon]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: TrailDemon
The sheath is very robust. It has a unique kydex knife fastener clip that firmy holds the knife in place, and two handle straps. The bottom strap was very tight to snap around the handle until i adjusted the sheath a bit. With the kydex clip i really doubt the need for the straps. The thumb clip is a positive locking 'click when the knife is put away.

The LMF is my primary knife as well. In case you missed it, we were actually discussing some of Gerber's "shortcomings" here last week.

I see from the attached photos that the black oxide finish on your pommel looks about like mine did when I first took it out of the box -- perhaps Gerber wants everyone that sees your knife to think that you've actually had it for several years and have used it to break through a helicopter canopy.

You'll find that no matter what you do, the retention straps will never loosen up to the point that they ever function as they should. I tried several methods to get them to the point that I could actually close them with one hand, including soaking them in water and then closing them over the handle (which I had temporarily made larger with a sheet of cardboard) but alas, I finally gave up and used the knife to cut them completely off.

As you have already discovered, the integral retention clip on the sheath is more than adequate, and I enjoy the knife so much more now that I can actually use it without the fear of others convinced I'm afflicted with Tourette syndrome seeing me fumble around trying to secure two retention straps that were designed a half inch too short.

Jim

#129966 - 04/11/08 09:38 PM Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! [Re: Paragon]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi TrailDemon,

Thanks for the good evaluation and pictures of the Gerber LMF II, first close-up look of a black version I have seen.

I have been "lusting" for one of this knife for a while after hearing the rave reviews on ETS and the web. Would it be possible to trim the molle attachment slots off the sheath to make it more narrow, less tactical looking, or would this compromise the strength of the sheath?

I am heading south tomorrow and may breakdown and buy one when I am in the city, it is the sneaking it into the house part that is difficult. It may be a good thing that the finish scratches easily, I can rub it around in the sand on the driveway a bit and when the DW asks "where did that new toy come from"? I can say "this old thing, I have had this for a while".

My anniversary is coming up the middle of next month, maybe the DW would like a new Gerber LMF II to strap on while gardening, ya thats it, she needs one for working in the garden, problem solved (funny how she often does not appreciate all the thought I put into the gifts I get her)?

Mike

#129971 - 04/11/08 11:21 PM Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Yea, welcome to the club, Very pleased with mine, I'm sure you will be too.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#129974 - 04/12/08 12:02 AM Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! [Re: TrailDemon]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
In case I haven't said it before, Welcome Newguy!

I personally have no need for leg holsters/sheaths/pouches of any kind, prefering my gear to ride high and tight, but if you like it good deal!!!

#129989 - 04/12/08 02:19 AM Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I have been "lusting" for one of this knife for a while after hearing the rave reviews on ETS and the web. Would it be possible to trim the molle attachment slots off the sheath to make it more narrow, less tactical looking, or would this compromise the strength of the sheath?

Mike,

The molle attachment slots could indeed be trimmed away without compromising the integrity of the sheath. I'm not sure how neat the edge would look once you were finished, as the entire exterior of the sheath is covered in a thin rubberized coating, so it would likely ball up if exposed to significant heat during cutting/sanding (although Gerber claims this material is heat resistant).

You'll be pleased to know that the inner retention clip has a (horizontal) slot which the nylon portion of the sheath attaches to, so that could be the foundation for your future attachment to a belt once the molle attachments were removed.

I'm not sure if that last paragraph makes much sense until you get your hands on one. Basically the sheath/attachment is multi-part:

1). Part #1 is a black nylon sheath attachment with upper and lower (vertical) snap molle attachments on the inside. There is one (vertical) velcro molle attachment on the outside that is used to attach the nylon portion of the sheath to the rubberized portion. Finally there are two (horizontal) velcro molle attachments on the outside to further attach the nylon portion of the sheath to the rubberized portion (The current version of this sheath is like TrailDemon's photo and only has one lower horizontal attachment, whereas the ones Gerber were shipping up to a few months ago had two). The top portion of this also has the two (horizontal) snap straps that supplement the integral retention clip of part #2.

2). Part #2 is a rigid (steel I suspect) sheath with rubberized type coating. This part has six (vertical) molle slots, two (horizontal) molle slots (one located in the integral retention clip) and eight lanyard holes.

3). There are two nylon leg/calf straps with rubber strips on the inside (to add grip) that are also included.

Hope that helps somewhat...

Jim

#129992 - 04/12/08 02:30 AM Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! [Re: Paragon]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Personally I removed the Nylon MOLLE part and just use the plastic sheath by lashing it or strapping it to gear using the slots/holes.

#129995 - 04/12/08 03:09 AM Re: My New Gerber LMF II ! [Re: Paragon]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks Fellas,

I hope to get a first-hand look at the LMF II this weekend.

I would have already bought one but I am still not sure about the serrations?

Mike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.