The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#129795 - 04/10/08 02:27 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: BillLiptak]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
For an extra challenge, sprinkle the floor liberally with Legos.

If you don't have any Legos, broken glass will do, but it is not as challenging.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#129796 - 04/10/08 02:28 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: benjammin]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Quote:
Heaven help the poor sod who happens to try breaking into my house at night whilst I might be sitting behind the rhodoendron or fern bush, with sword in one hand, Glock in the other, and a headlight shining in their surprised face.

ROFLMAO. Benjammin my good man, this post made my morning. After my TAV , the bas***ds put me behind a desk to give me a break (I hate it sooooooooo bad) So I end up here on the forum when I should be working. I have to do something as I am itching like crazy to get back with a field section. As I sit here reading your post and laughing out loud like a madman I cannot tell you how cool it is to know I am not the only one out there who does this kind of stuff. If I am crazy for hiding out side my house with NVGs and a shotgun, then I guess I will have company in the nut house from some of the other folks here.

I tried the whole hold the ankle and escape thing with my family last night(at the suggestion of people on the forum) I was hard to convince the wife to take part as she is laid up with a broken foot but she decided to humour me. The kid had a blast as it appeared as a game to her.

For those of you who haven't tried this you should. Holy crap, It is a challenge alone and standing/creeping but crawling with wife and kid together is a real challenge.(well worth it) The biggest problem is negotiating stairs in this manner, but we made it in under 2 min(and that included me going to the kids room, and then attaching her to the chain and then from there going back through the house to the farthest door) I wanted to go the farthest distance for practice but in a real situ I would be going for the nearest exit. In a real situ there would also be the fact that the kid would be in a state of panic as well, another thing to consider. My dog was very amused at the sight of us all blindfolded and crawling through the house (must have looked odd) But the dogs interference brought up another problem in my mind.

If ever there is a fire I don't think I would be able to leave the pets behind. I would hope they would have the sense to follow us or at least make a good run for it on their own. Maybe I will get one of those dog whistles just in case.......

#129802 - 04/10/08 02:45 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I can see the benefits of such a practice but I'm not sure I'd benefit from it in my place. I can see my front door from my side of the bed. With a small open concept condo like I live in, there's almost nothing to get in the way unless you get lost in the bathroom just after the fire starts. wink

Plus like I've mentioned in previous posts I don't own the arsenals some of you do. If I had a break I'd have to be sitting on the john or sleeping to not see it happen. Plus I'm not sure what I'd do if it did happen.

I guess that's the real point of the excercise is to get rid of the indecisiveness such a situation can bring over a person.

#129804 - 04/10/08 02:52 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Quote:
Plus like I've mentioned in previous posts I don't own the arsenals some of you do.

Dont worry, you will soon enough grin

I guess crawling out the door on hands and knees in a blinfold may raise concerns if you live in an apartment or condo. You could always make a rope ladder and practice rappeling off the side of the building as a fire escape(depending on what floor you are on) If you do let me know, that sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

#129806 - 04/10/08 02:58 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Taurus
Dont worry, you will soon enough grin

My PAL hasn't come yet but it shouldn't be too much longer!

Originally Posted By: Taurus

I guess crawling out the door on hands and knees in a blinfold may raise concerns if you live in an apartment or condo. You could always make a rope ladder and practice rappeling off the side of the building as a fire escape(depending on what floor you are on) If you do let me know, that sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

If a neighbor caught a whiff of me walking around blindfolded with some kind of weapon in hand, I'd likely be getting a call from the condo board about it.

Rapelling off the balcony is something I've thought of too. To get out of my building I have to cross two catwalks to get to the fire escape and one to get to the elevator...if the fire is in the right place those won't last long. My balcony faces the front street and there's lots of sidewalk/court yard under my 3rd floor balcony. Maybe it's time to invest in a rope? wink

#129818 - 04/10/08 04:01 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: LaLine]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Welcome Laline....

Dig in brother/sister. There is plenty to go around.

Again, welcome to the party, jump in with both feet.

#129819 - 04/10/08 04:06 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Taurus,

You are not from Mars. You are extremely proactive. You are actually a positive influence on the rest of us. You, along with others, prod the rest of us on.

Perspective: How do you think some of DR's family and/or friends viewed him as he launched this forum?

I get nutso looks from people for just wanting to carry an EDC with a few Band-Aids, SAK, thread and assorted things in a tube in my Nite-Ize Pockits(TM).

You are fine. You are thinking of the welfare of your loved ones and doing something about it.

How's that for a "Mutal Admiration and Affirmation Society" session. All for free, of course.

You are on track.

#129821 - 04/10/08 04:13 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

[/quote]

My surefire M3 sits in the top drawer next to my bed with NVGs and flexi cuffs.
[/quote]

Next to the bed? Interesting blush

#129829 - 04/10/08 04:57 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Paragon]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It's easy to tell which of my neighbors are conservative, and which are liberal. The liberal ones get agitated when they see me with weapons in hand in the yard at night. The rest just grin and sleep easier knowing guys like me are around to do great harm to those who would otherwise victimize our neighborhood. the cop that lives down the block just waves and has a good chuckle.

Then again, anyone ever see the Dan Akroyd, John Belushi movie "Neighbors" Imagine it being Cousin Eddie instead of Akroyd's character, and you probably have some idea of what it looks like in my yard at night, on those nights when the air is quiet, the moon is new, CCR is playing "Run Thru the Jungle" on the radio, and I get an itch ...

#129841 - 04/10/08 07:01 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
All you can do about animals is open the door, a scared animal will more than likely lash out and hurt you. Leave the door open when you leave. If they can get out they will.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.