Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#129781 - 04/10/08 01:38 PM Re: Gas Prices [Re: AROTC]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Here's my strategy, and it's pretty simple. Keep doing whatever I have to to make my income increase faster than the cost of living. Otherwise, make do with less. It is simple economics to me.

Starting from nothing, you can still manage to find an equilibrium to exist within, so then you trade off desire, convenience, freedom for opportunity. Capitalize on the opportunity, and look for more. Get out ahead of the crowd and stay there. Be willing to do what others are not, and always be in a position to negotiate a better deal.

I don't care if gas prices go to $10 a gallon. I will just use that as yet another point to ask for more with the next opportunity, or I will learn to make do with less.

That's life. Prices only go down in the long term due to obsolesence. Everything else is always going to cost more tomorrow. There are no exceptions. It is a vicious cycle of illusion. The work I am doing today is of no greater value than that which my father did 30 years ago, it's just the money I am paid with is worth a lot less, and will continue to devalue so long as greedy people believe they can still get something for nothing.

#129823 - 04/10/08 04:21 PM Re: Gas Prices [Re: Be_Prepared]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
, Charlies Angels (the original...you know, and the smart one)

Kate Jackson..always my favorite..loved her raspy voice.

#129824 - 04/10/08 04:26 PM Re: Gas Prices [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
You are born, you spend just about every dime, you die...How's that for simple?

I'm with you. Evaluate, Adapt, Morph, Re-evaluate.

#129834 - 04/10/08 06:05 PM Re: Gas Prices [Re: MoBOB]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
That's about it, you can squeeze the peach soft, and get just a few drops of juice, or you can squeeze it real hard, and wring out about as much as the peach holds. You only get the one peach, and it may not be the same as anyone else's, but it is still up to you to decide how much of it you get to enjoy, or not. Either way ends up in the pits, so might as well get what you can out of it.

#129867 - 04/10/08 09:45 PM Re: Gas Prices [Re: benjammin]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
For those rooting for an alternative to fossil fuel-powered cars, high gas prices do tend to encourage R&D into alternatives and makes them more cost-comparable.

#129870 - 04/10/08 11:25 PM Re: Gas Prices [Re: Arney]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
The really frustrating thig is that I've heard that the original Model T got about 25 mpg. Also, until the internal combustion engine got cheap and relatively reliable, there were electric cars competing with early models.

So it's taken us a hundred years of "R&D," to use it loosely, to make cars that's less fuel efficient and environmentally unfriendly that we originally started with.

#129877 - 04/11/08 12:32 AM Re: Gas Prices [Re: Taurus]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
...walk to work to save money

If work hadn't had to move across town I'd be tempted to try biking it a couple days a week. With the distance and the traffic on the roads I'd have to travel now there's no way, no how, not on your life.

#129879 - 04/11/08 12:50 AM Re: Gas Prices [Re: Be_Prepared]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
30 years or so, gas has gone up a little more than triple

It's almost tripled in the last five or so years & my income hasn't come anywhere near to that. In 01/01/02 the average for regular here was about $1.24. Today the average is $3.09 with the companies making record profits. I don't have a problem with companies making a decent profit but I do with record profits and near record (after adjusting 70's prices for inflation) prices at the same time.

edit: fixed date & added source

Edited by UTAlumnus (04/11/08 12:51 AM)

#129880 - 04/11/08 01:31 AM Re: Gas Prices [Re: UTAlumnus]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...high gas prices do tend to encourage R&D into alternatives and makes them more cost-comparable."

Where on earth did you get that??? There was a 'gas shortage' in the 70s, and prices went up fast and stayed there. America's response to this was to produce a lot of big, heavy, gas-guzzling SUVs, motor homes and Hummers.

If, during that time, anyone came up with a good idea on how to improve efficiency very much, the oil companies must have bought all the rights and stored them in the same warehouse with the Lost Ark of the Covenant.

For me, gas prices have gone up from $0.25 to $3.50, 14 times. Is there a word for that?

The current level of the stock market is a sign of inflation. The high prices of everyday necessities are a sign of inflation. Inflation is a sign of bad management and an inflated money supply, NOT the natural order of things.

It has been said that the economy of the Roman Empire was a "plunder economy", based on looting existing resources rather than producing anything new. Does this sound at all familiar?

Just wait.

Sue

#129883 - 04/11/08 02:22 AM Re: Gas Prices [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Is there a word for that?..."

Yes there is, and if I said it, I would be deleted, and have to wash my mouth out with soap...

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.