Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#129739 - 04/10/08 12:05 AM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: NightHiker]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
NH-
Quote:
I HAVE learned over the years to do a pre-walk through first, with 3 kids there's no telling what's been left where.

(lol) so true. Takes away from the realism a bit if you check first though.

Matt26-
Quote:
I can brag that my 9 and 6 year old daughters can climb out and down the escape ladder in their room faster than I can!

I hear you, My kid will be a teenager soon and I will need to try to PREVENT her from escaping out the window at night.

Am_Fear_Liath_Mor -
Quote:
I don't know the statistics for those who have been killed whilst falling down stairs wearing a blindfold but I suspect it could possibly be more than those killed by bears in Canada every year.

I know for a FACT more people die in Canada die each year in house fires than either bears or trousers. I dont want to be one of them. eek

Laline-
Quote:
Better to practice now when all they have to worry about is feeling stupid rather then do it when they are scared spit-less.

I feel good and silly at the time, especially when I did a cartwheel over a plastic guitar left on the floor but This is why I practice as well. Welcome to the forum, hope to hear more from you on how the web page is going.

#129740 - 04/10/08 12:17 AM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Taurus

If you do make sure you keep one arm fully extended while crawling.

Actually, rather than hand out, try keeping one hand on the wall. Keeps you from getting disoriented, and in a straight line. Of course, make sure it's not the burning wall (sorry, I keep my Nomex in my car...)

#129742 - 04/10/08 12:21 AM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Yes. Yes you are crazy.

Just crazy enough to blend in here. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#129757 - 04/10/08 03:00 AM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

While I don't practice walking around as if the house was full of smoke, sometimes when I get home, I pretend that I came home to a break-in (example, front door ajar). In a real situation I might call the police and let them look around, but I like to proceed as though the cops are unable to assist. I basically go commando-style through my house with whatever available weapon is on-hand, taking each room and closet/space, as I go along, "securing the building", aggresively creating a path that ensures "they" can't get behind me, and eliminating all possible hiding spots.

So, you're post makes me feel like I am not totally alone...but that doesn't mean I don't "get a little crazy".

I define crazy as being mental to the point of endangering self or others.

I don't think you are crazy, unless you think you can successfully negotiate a house fire at standing height.
No, I simply think that you love your family and want to keep them as safe as possible.

LOL.

DON'T TOUCH THOSE DOOR KNOBS!!!

#129759 - 04/10/08 03:18 AM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: ]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Probably Yes. But that is neither here nor there.

Your Practice and preps are the sanest thing you can do.

Your friends [PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. All] are simply stupid.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#129762 - 04/10/08 04:01 AM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Quote:
I basically go commando-style through my house with whatever available weapon is on-hand, taking each room and closet/space, as I go along, "securing the building", aggresively creating a path that ensures "they" can't get behind me, and eliminating all possible hiding spots.

Quote:
you're post makes me feel like I am not totally alone...

Ha, wicked dude. laugh

I can tell you another reason for pacing out all the areas in my house. I have every possible hiding/ambush spot in my house burned into the back of my mind, as well as every shooting angle and distance. I have a safe in the master bedroom and one downstairs with keypad entry containing a .45 ACP full of 230 gr hydra shock and a Mossberg 590 full of #4 buckshot respectively.(along with the rest of my collection) My surefire M3 sits in the top drawer next to my bed with NVGs and flexi cuffs. In the event I arrive home from work etc and think someone may be in the house I have a Mossberg 935 under the back seat of the Ram with shells locked in the center console(I can get the gun lock off damn quick as the keys are part of my EDC)

I also just purchased a .500 S&W revolver that the mere sight of would likely be enough to make the devil himself think twice about his next move. We have a lot in common.

But...My views on home defence are a whole new area which makes my friends question my sanity

Tonight I will practice my fire escape drill again except I will crawl this time on the excellent advice of the folks here. I may even see if the family wants to participate although I bet my wife will laugh at me harder that my friends did. She doesent share the same Enthusiasm as I do about this stuff.

#129774 - 04/10/08 12:51 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: NightHiker]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Originally Posted By: NightHiker

...Although I HAVE learned over the years to do a pre-walk through first...

That seems like it negates the whole point of the exercise, no?

#129783 - 04/10/08 01:49 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: jdavidboyd]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, my experience is that if there's a fire in my house, I get out. Of course, my kids are gone now, but even when they were home, I always figured I stood the best chance of saving anyone if I am not incapacitated, and have a good plan.

That said, I make it a regular practice to walk through the house in the dark. It isn't 100% blindness, but it is a perspective change. Occasionally I will challenge myself by getting out of bed in the middle of the night and trying it while still in the fog of wakening. That is a bit more of a challenge, even though I am a very light sleeper.

I've also occasionally just sat in the dark in various parts of the house and just listened to what's going on at 2:00 am. Sometimes I will go out in the back yard and sit in the bushes for an hour and just watch the house and the road.

Heaven help the poor sod who happens to try breaking into my house at night whilst I might be sitting behind the rhodoendron or fern bush, with sword in one hand, Glock in the other, and a headlight shining in their surprised face.

#129786 - 04/10/08 01:52 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: jdavidboyd]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Crazy, but in a good way laugh. As a humble suggestion while trying this standing, try keeping your feet as close to the floor as possible. Say maybe an inch or so above floor level, that way you can "drag" your feet and "feel" any obstacles before hand. I too make all my bathroom runs in the dark, and with 2 dogs and 5 cats (I swear between my wife and roommate I got a damn zoo....) there is always a distinct possibility of tripping and breaking my neck unless I do a dry land "stingray shuffle"

-Bill Liptak

#129793 - 04/10/08 02:24 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: benjammin]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: benjammin
I've also occasionally just sat in the dark in various parts of the house and just listened to what's going on at 2:00 am. Sometimes I will go out in the back yard and sit in the bushes for an hour and just watch the house and the road.

Heaven help the poor sod who happens to try breaking into my house at night whilst I might be sitting behind the rhodoendron or fern bush, with sword in one hand, Glock in the other, and a headlight shining in their surprised face.

Perhaps it's just me Benjammin, but the thought of having a neighbor sitting in the bushes for an hour or so in the middle of the night, wearing a headlight and clutching a sword in one hand and a Glock in the other, might qualify as being slightly over the top.

Jim

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.