The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#129647 - 04/09/08 02:20 AM Gas Prices
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

I would like to share this email I recently got:

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON.

This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this please.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!
It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.98 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace...not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.

But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) .. and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!

(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Keep it going

I personally would like to avoid Shell as well.

#129648 - 04/09/08 02:58 AM Re: Gas Prices [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#129651 - 04/09/08 03:03 AM Re: Gas Prices [Re: Blast]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Thanks Blast,
I'll pass that link on to who sent me the email.

#129652 - 04/09/08 03:09 AM Re: Gas Prices [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Consider yourself lucky, I live where most of the oil in Canada is and gas is predicted to go up to $1.50- $1.75 PER L as opposed to per GAL.

I may need to trade in the Ram for a smart car soon. frown

#129661 - 04/09/08 12:11 PM Re: Gas Prices [Re: Taurus]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Just done a quick convertion.

I pay 1.57 euro's a litre for diesel. Which works out at about $9.25 a gallon.

Going to work by car is starting to hurt.

#129664 - 04/09/08 12:55 PM Re: Gas Prices [Re: ]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I guess it all comes down to:
What is the "correct" price for gas?

The answer is:
Whatever people will pay to get it.

If gas is $4/gallon and you are still buying it, then it must be worth that much to you.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#129673 - 04/09/08 02:57 PM Re: Gas Prices [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
...IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON...

I hate "chain mail" in general. Most of the stuff sent around is false or misleading anyway. Actually, the misleading ones are the worst because there is a certain logic to them that can snare people.

I was going to begin one of my customarily long-winded posts, but I checked Blast's link and that Snopes webpage basically says what I was going to say. Particularly here in California, there are few refineries producing the California-specific blend of gas, so everyone buys from the same limited pool of refineries.

If gas consumption is a zero-sum game and you're just shifting around where you buy the gas but keep the overall demand at the same level, there's no way you can drive down the price overall. As consumers, the only effective thing we can do is to consistently reduce demand, either by driving less, less often, or driving significantly more fuel efficient cars.

I doubt that any executive level manager would be so naive and ignorant of basic economics to actually come up with such a plan for price reduction.

#129678 - 04/09/08 03:41 PM Re: Gas Prices [Re: NightHiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'm not sure about the US but I'm fairly certain that in Canada, the major fuel manufacturers have a deal to share pipelines anyhow. By boycotting one all you're doing is hurting the guy who runs that station.

#129681 - 04/09/08 04:23 PM Re: Gas Prices [Re: NightHiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I wonder what type of effect it would have if half of the population in the US could reduce their weekly gas consumption by half for a couple of months?

A far healthier world...filled with really cranky people.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#129686 - 04/09/08 05:01 PM Re: Gas Prices [Re: thseng]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"If gas is $4/gallon and you are still buying it, then it must be worth that much to you."

IOW, stop going to work, stop going to the doctor, stop going to the grocery store, right?

Or did you have something specific in mind?

Sue

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.