Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#127505 - 03/16/08 08:56 PM Needs that must be addressed for...
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I feel like most everybody else does about Bugging In vs. Bugging Out! Bugging In is safer and a better initial option, usually.

I feel like some basics might could use reviewing on the Bugging Out Option:

All equipment should be packed (Bug Out Bags) or easy to find, grab, and throw into the vehicles.

Transportation: Primary-gas or diesel powered vehicle; Secondary-bicycles; Tertiary-Hiking out.

Each person has a BoB and basic camping type of gear, a personal FAK, a piece or two of community gear, and weapons(?).

Cargo in the vehicles would need to include: water, food, shelter, hand tools, reference materials (How To books, etc); Power generation type gear, electrical consuming equipment, bicycles, etc.

Several routes should be planned to a known destination within a reasonable distance to insure success. If more than one destination is available, then 2-3 routes to each should be planned.

I know this is not a complete list but I'm too lazy to pull out my written plans and that would be "cheating" in some ways. What have I overlooked and what do y'all have ready to go quickly, as in the event of a nearby upwind Industrial Accident??

#127515 - 03/16/08 11:53 PM Re: Needs that must be addressed for... [Re: wildman800]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
Quote:
as in the event of a nearby upwind Industrial Accident??

How bout something to protect your lungs. I bought a mil surp gas mask for this just in case type of situ. I also keep some industrial respirators handy.

#127517 - 03/17/08 12:17 AM Re: Needs that must be addressed for... [Re: bigmothertrucker]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Quote:
I bought a mil surp gas mask for this just in case type of situ

Beware that many military surplus gas masks are expired, almost certainly so if the canisters are open. The canisters contain activated charcoal which loses its usefulness over time. Also, military gas masks aren't designed to protect against industrial toxic chemicals. A great example of a dangerous gas that is common in industrial settings is hydrogen sulfide. But only self-contained breathing apparatus protects against it. With out your own oxygen you're out of luck.

#127520 - 03/17/08 12:40 AM Re: Needs that must be addressed for... [Re: AROTC]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...many military surplus gas masks are expired.."

Expired, or just plain old worn out. The seals become stiff, don't seal to your face, and the mask becomes worthless...

#127521 - 03/17/08 12:43 AM Re: Needs that must be addressed for... [Re: AROTC]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I keep several industrial masks on hand with the appropriate filters (sealed) and you're right, Gas Masks do not protect one from H2S gas.

The masks are primarily to allow me to move around in certain toxic conditions when necessary to accomplish a certain task.

#127524 - 03/17/08 01:07 AM Re: Needs that must be addressed for... [Re: wildman800]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'm pretty happy with a couple of those flat pack N95 rated filters. Great for generic use and good enough to keep bird flu out.

#129559 - 04/08/08 09:18 AM Re: Needs that must be addressed for... [Re: ]
Smackdaddyj Offline
Stranger

Concerning gas and routes, I agree. You need to have enough gas to make from where you are starting to where you want to get to, and you should probably plan on 25% extra considering you may have to drive quite a ways off road, or be stuck in traffic. That also means that you are going to have to take your particular type of vehicle into consideration. Where I live, 4x4 is a must, and therefore I don't buy cars, but if you own a car, you can't go offroad (for the most part) and therefore will be limited to the paved routes available. You will also need to stabalize the fuel, unless you are going to constantly cycle through your containers which is an option.

Also, you will need to take into consideration how you are going to store this fuel (and other equipment) on/in your vehilce while moving. This may not be a big deal if you have a small family and large vehicle, but if you have a large family and a vehicle that is sized to fit them, but not a lot of extra room, then packing inside the vehicle becomes as critical as packing outside the vehicle.

Just some more thoughts,

Smackdaddyj

#129561 - 04/08/08 10:15 AM Re: Needs that must be addressed for... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Some unused, old masks like the russian GP-5's and GP-7's are too old. The latex will have little cracks and leaks in them. Also many millitary masks are equipped with teargas cannisters, not NBC or chemicals cannisters.

If you want proper protection, than get a proper, new and well fitting mask with the right cannisters. Or for better protection carry you own air.

#129596 - 04/08/08 04:43 PM Re: Needs that must be addressed for... [Re: Tjin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You might keep in mind the prevailing (and current) wind directions for an industrial or major HazMat tanker truck or RR car accident, as wind direction will greatly affect your escape route.

I live less than half a mile from a state highway and just a bit further from a RR crossing, and the RR tracks run parallel to the highway for several miles.

I work near RR tracks these days, and it's a real eye-opener as to what is moving through our neighborhoods. Many of the tanker cars on the RR are labeled, but I don't think the tanker trucks carry much more than placards of hazardous materials. Hazardous gases like chlorine, ammonia, LPG, etc travel the roads and rails every single day.

Having a NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio that will turn on automatically when trouble erupts, and can make the difference between living and dying.

If you know something is happening, don't wait for an evacuation alert, just find out which way the wind is blowing and get out. Most hazards of this type are temporary, so you just need to get everyone out. The contents of a ruptured chlorine tank (for example) will usually disperse in less than 24 hours, depending on weather conditions.

Just don't have one bugout plan and direction to run. If you always say, "Oh, if we have to leave the house, we'll just go to Aunt Irma's farm", don't be so locked in to that plan that you can't/won't recognize that you would be heading straight into danger. Be mentally agile enough to determine which WAY to run.

Sue

#129646 - 04/09/08 02:06 AM Re: Needs that must be addressed for... [Re: ]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

I was looking at those N95 filters too, but I noticed that the manufacturer says they are useless unless a positive seal can be maintained on the face. I noticed you have a beard on your avatar. I have an even longer beard. Did you shave your beard off so you can fit the N95?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.